CO Tags prices

Elkhunter24

Hello everyone! I have a question to ask. I have been hunting in Pa all of my life. But since 2010 I have been going to Colorado. Since 2010 the prices of the tags have gone up every year. The bull and cow has jumped almost to 100 in the past 6 years and deer have gone up as well. My question is, Is this normal for Colorado to raise the price a each year? I know they are still one of the cheaper states to hunt elk and to have the chance to buy OTC tags.

Yep it's tied to the consumer price index and FWP has been talking about raising them again for residents for 2017

Last edited:
Colorado non-resident tag prices are adjusted annually according to the Consumer Price Index. So if the CPI goes up, so to tag costs. There has been a year or two in the last decade where prices were reduced (during the recession). Here is a link to the document explaining the most recent increase for 2016: http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2015/Nov/ITEM_11-Ch_W-2_W-15(CPI).pdf

Cow licenses are generally not adjusted with CPI because they are reduced cost. The Wildlife Commission determines the cost of a cow license based more on supply and demand. Several years ago when the supply was much higher, the cost was less.

Thanks MoGreen. more sounds like they are going to raise it for residents. nonresidents they have been raising for years.

And they may skyrocket in price via news today. They may double if Colorado gets their way.
http://www.journal-advocate.com/ste...s-inadequate-colorado-parks-and-wildlife-says

It's for Resident licenses.

I for one support a Resident fee increase. We have not had one in a decade. If the choice is 'status quo' or '100% increase', I would probably vote for the increase, but if given a wider choice I'd vote for a staggered increase starting @ 50% or so with a CPI tie-in like the NR licenses.

As it stands, every year I lay out less for 3 big game tags, 2 turkey tags, combo fishing/small game and various stamps than a NR does for a Cow Elk tag. I think that is an amazing deal and willing to do more. Lots of discussion on this on other forums and MT and WY are widely used as examples against an increase, but our population is exploding (3X the combined total of MT and WY, iirc)

Look for a modest resident increase and a greater than inflation adjusted (CPI) increase on NR's to be proposed...just my .02.

Last edited:
How many hunter will quit? They'll still by short on funding and threat closing land. Then they will say sorry no one uses this chunk of land guess we'll sell it. I for one do not think the CO DOW has our best interest in mind from what I've seen. It all starts with Department of Wildlife vs say a Game and Fish.

I for one support a Resident fee increase. We have not had one in a decade. If the choice is 'status quo' or '100% increase', I would probably vote for the increase, but if given a wider choice I'd vote for a staggered increase starting @ 50% or so with a CPI tie-in like the NR licenses.

I'm going to a CPW roundtable on the matter tonight in FOCO. I'll relay your thoughts.

I've seen numbers quoted for Resident increases that are almost triple the current price. Like, $85 for a pronghorn tag. I know my family would buy a LOT less 'B' tags if that were to happen overnight. I mean, I can go to Wyoming and hunt doe pronghorn with a lot more access for less than that. Its actually less of a drive for me!

I'd like to see the increase staggered over the course of a couple of years. People mentally won't notice it nearly as much if its spread out.

I'd like to see the increase staggered over the course of a couple of years. People mentally won't notice it nearly as much if its spread out.

I doubt it. I've heard Residents in Wyoming and Montana whine at the people selling licenses that the "price goes up every year"...as they're shelling out the same fees they've paid for the last 5-10+ years.

IMO/E if you get support for a fee increase, go whole enchilada...don't stagger it.

Look for a modest resident increase and a greater than inflation adjusted (CPI) increase on NR's to be proposed...just my .02.

More than likely this will be the case.

IMO CPW is trying to supplement their huge fisheries budget off the fattened calf, so to speak. Heaven forbid they upset the Orvis crowd and raise their fees.

Its amazing how Colorado CPW cant makes ends meet with more than twice the budget of Montana. Yet we have no private land access program, and very short crowded seasons. The CPW is not going broke, in fact they did run a surplus last year. Don't just go by the pie chart they throw out or try to sell at their meeting.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2016/May/Item_20-Financial_Update.pdf

Look at the size of CO CPW budget and then compare it to other western states.

Also, the money isn't going to big game management like the majority somehow believe. To quote a pretty recent former Director of the DOW I had lunch with, "the only real expense for our big game herds is game damage payments".

Thanks so much jlmattew, I've been reading the report for the past hour and saved it. Looking at the numbers I'd say there is little reason for an increase. It just doesn't look like they are in dire straights and from their projections it doesn't look like they will be.

Its amazing how Colorado CPW cant makes ends meet with more than twice the budget of Montana. Yet we have no private land access program, and very short crowded seasons. The CPW is not going broke, in fact they did run a surplus last year. Don't just go by the pie chart they throw out or try to sell at their meeting.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2016/May/Item_20-Financial_Update.pdf

Look at the size of CO CPW budget and then compare it to other western states.

Also, the money isn't going to big game management like the majority somehow believe. To quote a pretty recent former Director of the DOW I had lunch with, "the only real expense for our big game herds is game damage payments".

Thanks for sharing. I will be forwarding to several folks

I have to say this really upset me! I think there are a lot better ways to increase revenue and not have hunters pay for it. In my opinion close the state parks land. Hunters can only hunt in a few of the 42 parks and the two in development. I enjoy our parks but hunters are definitely paying the price. With the increase in population (humans that is) increase parks access fees, require bikers and kayaks to register their equipment like boaters and atvs. Same goes for road bikers. I have to pay taxes to register my vehicles a modest 15-25 dollar per year fee for bicyclists and kayaks I feel is quite modest. In addition to all of the state parks, open up the open space areas with high density herds around evergreen and the metro area to hunters.

In my opinion a small increase is fair but a 100% increase on hunters is uncalled for. I have so many other ideas that can increase revenues for CPW that would benefit the entire program. I encourage them to reach out to me. I'll even buy you lunch! Let's talk so hunters don't have to pay the ultimate price!

If they double the price of tags i'll have to just hunt for elk and forget bear and deer. They'll end up getting less money from me. I can only stretch an SS check so far.

If CDOW was offering more service (IE more demonstrable big game management strategies, public access opportunities, et cetera) I could see a resident fee increase being valid. The whole eastern third of the state is all tiny overcrowded waterfowl properties and reminds me of Texas. I have no problem with big game hunting subsidizing parks and such but I agree gotta pay back the hunters with at least a special short season in some of these parks where sustainable.

As a former non-resident, holy carp the tag fees are expensive! If I ever move away I will probably never get to hunt Colorado big game again, maybe once or twice realistically. I guess I am OK with that but it still would stink once you get hooked!

By requiring additional fees for tags, they are charging for a service in my view. If they just want more money despite running a balanced budget and maintaining status quo, bugger off. Offer more services to the public within what they are legally allowed to do? Sure, let's pony up...

As a former non-resident, holy carp the tag fees are expensive! If I ever move away I will probably never get to hunt Colorado big game again, maybe once or twice realistically. I guess I am OK with that but it still would stink once you get hooked!

I looked into it since my brother is a resident.... I was actually surprised on the elk tag, but Deer and Pronghorn tags are crazy high. Makes me want to kick my brother in the Jewels for not getting CO resident tags.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back