CO Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Commission Meeting June 1&2, 2022

Because I said so. Hope that works for you, doesn't work with my kids.
Yeah that line of reasoning wouldn’t resonate coming from my father either!

For what it’s worth, I do hope your fees get tripled, I think that’s probably long overdue and in the end, fiscally necessary (in fact not even enough) for every NR tag that gets cut.

Yeah that line of reasoning wouldn’t resonate coming from my father either!

For what it’s worth, I do hope your fees get tripled, I think that’s probably long overdue and in the end, fiscally necessary (in fact not even enough) for every NR tag that gets cut.

tripled for every cut tag?

i don't think even bill gates or mr musk himself could afford an elk tag.

just did the math, if you cut 10 NR tags and have to triple the cost of an R tag every time you cut 1 tag it compounds into a 3.4 million dollar elk tag.

does seem that we could fix our funding "shortfall" pretty quickly.

1654694422736.png

Last edited:
tripled for every cut tag?

i don't think even bill gates or mr musk himself could afford an elk tag.
Orrrrrr…. you could read it more sensibly and intended as that a resident elk tag costs 57 bucks. A nonresident tag costs 700. So cut my tag and give it to a Res. Charge them 3x what they paid before. Still pretty short. Not geometric growth. Just total (x) tags moved from NR to R x 3.

1 ~173 < 700
2 ~346 < 1400
3 ~521 < 2100

Still short. Getting shorter. Repeat as many times as you want.

Last edited:
Ok, I got to ask because nobody has ever been able to answer this basic question

How do other states manage to function when only allowing for 10% of tags being available to Nonresidents?

How are they affording all these access programs that we don't have in Colorado?

Again, it was explained to me by a former DOW Director that they spend minimally on Big Game, its a giant cash cow. So don't go saying that they need all the money to manage the elk & deer population. FAKE NEWS

Orrrrrr…. you could read it more sensibly and intended as that a resident elk tag costs 57 bucks. A nonresident tag costs 700. So cut my tag and give it to a Res. Charge them 3x what they paid before. Still pretty short. Not geometric growth. Just total (x) tags moved from NR to R x 3.

1 ~173 < 700
2 ~346 < 1400
3 ~521 < 2100

yeah that's a net loss. it can't jsut be the one NR tag that goes up in cost to the R it theoretically goes to. the only way to keep it net zero at least is for every NR tag that goes to R it has to equal the cost that one tag cost NR. or like they would actually do is just spread out the differene across all R tags.

under a 10 tag scenario with 7 for R and 3 to NR. if those 3 NR tags turn into R tags. all (now 10) R tags need to go up to 210 dollars to at least maintain fiscal status quo.

but if those 3 tags are just tripled from R costs to 171 it's a loss of like 1600 i think. or (700-171) x 3

Orrrrrr…. you could read it more sensibly and intended as that a resident elk tag costs 57 bucks. A nonresident tag costs 700. So cut my tag and give it to a Res. Charge them 3x what they paid before. Still pretty short. Repeat as many times as you want. Still short.
Ok, I got to ask because nobody has ever been able to answer this basic question

How do other states manage to function when only allowing for 10% of tags being available to Nonresidents?

How are they affording all these access programs that we don't have in Colorado?

Again, it was explained to me by a former DOW Director that they spend minimally on Big Game, its a giant cash cow. So don't go saying that they need all the money to manage the elk & deer population. FAKE NEWS
Hey I am a NR and I agree with you. But try convincing your politicians and state agencies to voluntarily slit their throat though. Have you met many State employees? They rather enjoy keeping their jobs and pensions - efficient, needed, or not.

I fully expect a few things to happen in future. 1) quotas will get shifted 2) overall tag numbers still decline unless better management or climate and other factors or combination of all occur 3) Both R and NR costs will rise 4) Nobody will be happy under any scenario!

Last edited:

Wyoming functions much the same. Elk, Deer, Antelope are over funded from license, PP, etc revenue. Sheep and moose are typically under funded from this revenue. The big drains on funding are fishing, pheasant farms and sheep. Fishing is by far the biggest drain. Insanely cheap resident fishing and pen raised pheasants are subsidized by NR E/D/A PP's.

Wyoming functions much the same. Elk, Deer, Antelope are over funded from license, PP, etc revenue. Sheep and moose are typically under funded from this revenue. The big drains on funding are fishing, pheasant farms and sheep. Fishing is by far the biggest drain. Insanely cheap resident fishing and pen raised pheasants are subsidized by NR E/D/A PP's.
In Colorado is the "Parks" part of "Parks and Wildlife" self suffiecient and a separtae budget or are hunters paying for the state parks to operate?

They have to be kept separate otherwise they would lose all the federal funding from Pittman-Roberts and Dingell-Johnson, if I understand correctly.
Correct, there is a specific Wildlife fund.

In Colorado is the "Parks" part of "Parks and Wildlife" self suffiecient and a separtae budget or are hunters paying for the state parks to operate?
I've never actually understood this "issue", folks want government to run more like business and this is exactly what businesses do.

Say a parent company has a WY and a CO entity, they might have one management team run both but then keep the financing separate. You save on G&A, but they are still separate.

1 ~173 < 700
2 ~346 < 1400
3 ~521 < 2100

@TOGIE I ran the math out a while back... would have to dig it all up, but if you actually capped CO at 35% NR. Like made it a quota, no buying leftovers beyond the quota, but like 35% of CO elk tags to NR. Then to be revenue neutral you would need to make a Resident Elk + small game tag like $175.

I've never actually understood this "issue", folks want government to run more like business and this is exactly what businesses do.

Say a parent company has a WY and a CO entity, they might have one management team run both but then keep the financing separate. You save on G&A, but they are still separate.
I have no problem with G&F being run like this. The only time it becomes an issue is when misdirection comes into play. Like say someone says we cant reduce the number of NR elk licenses issued in Wyo because we will have a funding issue. Plenty of other levers could be pulled to make funding work. Like raise the price of a fishing, small game or sheep tag.

Like telling the WY management team you cant get a raise because the CO dead weight is over paid.

I have no problem with G&F being run like this. The only time it becomes an issue is when misdirection comes into play. Like say someone says we cant reduce the number of NR elk licenses issued in Wyo because we will have a funding issue. Plenty of other levers could be pulled to make funding work. Like raise the price of a fishing, small game or sheep tag.

Like telling the WY management team you cant get a raise because the CO dead weight is over paid.

Colorado actually did a study on funding sources and what could be used to generate more revenue, obviously a sheep tag isn't going to work (though I get your point).

These ideas are borrowed in some part from other states.
1654798935803.png

Correct, there is a specific Wildlife fund.

If parks and wildlife sections both have their seperate budgets and are able to financially operate on their own, I have no "issue". If parks is subsidized by hunting license revenue to keep it afloat then I have a big "issue" with that.

@TOGIE I ran the math out a while back... would have to dig it all up, but if you actually capped CO at 35% NR. Like made it a quota, no buying leftovers beyond the quota, but like 35% of CO elk tags to NR. Then to be revenue neutral you would need to make a Resident Elk + small game tag like $175.
Important takeaway.. when someone says they would “gladly pay more” what they are really saying is they would gladly have EVERYONE pay more, even if most people are currently happy with the way it is. In a world of limited tags, the costs are then borne by many, the benefits go to only a few, and not even necessarily the original people who offered willingness to pay more!

Important takeaway.. when someone says they would “gladly pay more” what they are really saying is they would gladly have EVERYONE pay more, even if most people are currently happy with the way it is. In a world of limited tags, the costs are then borne by many, the benefits go to only a few, and not even necessarily the original people who offered willingness to pay more!
Great point.

My 2cents is that Colorado feels crowded... but you can get away from people, and I've never had problems finding elk in either the OTC, archery, or 5 day rifle seasons.

How much is not seeing some gomers from Michigan on the trail worth to you? I think that's the question CO residents have to ask themselves.

Lots of middle ground though...

If parks and wildlife sections both have their seperate budgets and are able to financially operate on their own, I have no "issue". If parks is subsidized by hunting license revenue to keep it afloat then I have a big "issue" with that.
I honestly haven't picked apart the budget trying to figure out exactly how it's all cut up... but my guess would be that it is or it isn't "subsidized" depending on how you look at it.

Are elk tag dollars going for new seats on the toilets at Chatfield... no.

But I bet the departments share costs of various staff, buildings overhead, etc. There are probably certain accounts that are earmarked for certain types of spending and certain accounts that can be mixed.

I'm sure you could make a case either way, but I think the bottom-line is that it's way cheaper for the state if each were standalones, and because of PR elk tag money is more restricted in what it can be spent on.

Personally, I have more of an issue about the ridiculous amount of money spent on stocking non-native fish than I do on parks.

I honestly haven't picked apart the budget trying to figure out exactly how it's all cut up... but my guess would be that it is or it isn't "subsidized" depending on how you look at it.

Are elk tag dollars going for new seats on the toilets at Chatfield... no.

But I bet the departments share costs of various staff, buildings overhead, etc. There are probably certain accounts that are earmarked for certain types of spending and certain accounts that can be mixed.

I'm sure you could make a case either way, but I think the bottom-line is that it's way cheaper for the state if each were standalones, and because of PR elk tag money is more restricted in what it can be spent on.

Personally, I have more of an issue about the ridiculous amount of money spent on stocking non-native fish than I do on parks.
One problem with combining parks and wildlife is the makeup of the commission which are appointees of the governor. They have people on the board of commisioners that don't the difference between an elk and an antelope and they are making critical wildlife managment decisions for our state. Everytime I watch a commission meeting it makes my madder than heck.

Back