Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO legal muzzy projectiles

FLS

I drew a CO muzzy elk tag and am looking at legal bullets. I’m shooting a 50 cal Remington 700 ML, not the ultimate. Got a rear peep and front globe setup. Upgraded the ignition system several years ago and it’s a really reliable accurate rifle I’ve killed several deer with it using Barnes saboted bullets but they’re a no go in CO.
I’ve shot a few deer with power belts and they worked fine but seem too fragile for elk.
I’ve got one of the Thor test kits ordered. What other bullets should I look at?

Great question. I’ll be following this one I drew my first muzzy tag and ordered the Thor pack too. From what I’ve searched seems to be the best option. I’m just wondering what kind of powder and how many grains. Good luck on your hunt.

Reactions: FLS
I have an old Hawkens that will shoot the green tip Powerbelts under an 1” at 100. I have only shot deer with it. A buddy of mine shoots the platinum Powerbelts at elk. His whole family uses them they drop an elk every year. He said the copper ones are to soft. He did not get good penetration with them.

I drew a CO muzzy elk tag and am looking at legal bullets. I’m shooting a 50 cal Remington 700 ML, not the ultimate. Got a rear peep and front globe setup. Upgraded the ignition system several years ago and it’s a really reliable accurate rifle I’ve killed several deer with it using Barnes saboted bullets but they’re a no go in CO.
I’ve shot a few deer with power belts and they worked fine but seem too fragile for elk.
I’ve got one of the Thor test kits ordered. What other bullets should I look at?
No reason to look further. The Thors are awesome.

I also drew a Colorado muzzy elk tag. I have an older Knight DISC with open sights.

I am thinking of using the Federal BOR LOCK MZ .50 cal 350gr bullets for this hunt.

A 350 gr Thor was extremely effective the year I carried my Dad's muzzleloader, but I was never able to get them to group well in my rifle. Turns out my barrel is on the larger end for diameter so I could never get a tight fit.

I'm currently shooting Fury's, a custom bullet out of Michigan. Didn't get a chance to see how they would perform on elk, but accuracy is top notch. From that perspective I would absolutely recommend them.

Also heard great things about No Excuses. They're an all lead conical that comes in various diameters.

And sorry but I'm no fan of powerbelts. I've seen one completely fail first-hand. That bullet choice cost my Dad his cow that year. Not an isolated incident either, plenty of folks have had that same experience. Granted, most people run them too hot and they can break up on impact.

Parker Productions 440 grain hydra-con.... they don’t run far if they run at all!

Myself and my partner have both used the Hornady HPB in Colorado. He has taken a mature mulie at 185 yards with his Knight and a Lyman Peep. Complete pass through and the off shoulder was broken. Animal went 40 yards and piled up. I have not taken an animal yet with that combo, but I have thrown at least a hundred HPB's down range and they fly very well out to 200 yards with my TC Omega and Lyman Peep.

Lots of positive reviews on Thor solid copper bullets. They shoot great out of my muzzy and @Flatrock has had good terminal performance from them on elk.

I've had great luck with No Excuses out of my 50 and 45 cal. There are tons of good options out there today. I'm not a fan of Powerbelts, they tend to be quite soft, but shoot very well. I've got half a dozen I've dug out of deer that are the size of a 50ct piece and about as thick. I only shot the platinums one season before just going to the No Excuses. Congrats on the tag! I'm kicking around taking my muzz sheep hunting this year.

Those thor bullets are good but they are a giant pain to load at times.

I have an old Hawkens that will shoot the green tip Powerbelts under an 1” at 100. I have only shot deer with it. A buddy of mine shoots the platinum Powerbelts at elk. His whole family uses them they drop an elk every year. He said the copper ones are to soft. He did not get good penetration with them.

Which brand of Hawken rifle?

Thompson center, all my Tc’s liked the powerbelts. One is a brown barrel,(meaning built) two are factory. This is my uncle shooting the old brown barrel. We took two shots we were not on target yet. Look under the target. Two bullets touching. All in front of 90 grains of pyrodex rs. I have not chroned them yet, but I lost some accuracy with purodex select.

Attachments

• 51F7BB80-9187-4169-80B7-1134A4EBDF35.jpeg
    51F7BB80-9187-4169-80B7-1134A4EBDF35.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 19
  • F959C9E3-30AD-4E9B-BD4F-AD2593254761.jpeg
    F959C9E3-30AD-4E9B-BD4F-AD2593254761.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 09457995-FE3F-493B-806B-F8EB8ED8EEB4.jpeg
    09457995-FE3F-493B-806B-F8EB8ED8EEB4.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5158C06F-1633-4C8E-AE74-29F2E0640BF7.jpeg
    5158C06F-1633-4C8E-AE74-29F2E0640BF7.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 87023255-CC05-42AC-8720-4120FF2AA8FC.jpeg
    87023255-CC05-42AC-8720-4120FF2AA8FC.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I’m going to try the 300 grain Thor bullets through my gun after reading this and other reviews. Are you guys shooting the lightning or the hammer. Has anyone shot both and noticed one being significantly different?

I’m going to try the 300 grain Thor bullets through my gun after reading this and other reviews. Are you guys shooting the lightning or the hammer. Has anyone shot both and noticed one being significantly different?
I just got my Thor 300 grain hammers. The lightning are one size fits all. The hammer you have to order the sizing kit and order the size that fits best. Mine are .501. Can’t wait to shoot them after I get some loose powder. Thought about going with the blackhorn 209 but probably stick with 777 for the half the price.

I just got my Thor 300 grain hammers. The lightning are one size fits all. The hammer you have to order the sizing kit and order the size that fits best. Mine are .501. Can’t wait to shoot them after I get some loose powder. Thought about going with the blackhorn 209 but probably stick with 777 for the half the price.
I have 5 of the Lightning’s. I ordered the sample pack to size my bore. I will try the hammers too. I heard they were back ordered for a few weeks unfortunately

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back