Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO legal muzzy projectiles

I got the Thor sizing kit and then ordered some .502 bullets. Anxious to test them out when they arrive.

Another vote for the 270gr Federal Solid Copper BOR Locks. Easy to load and shoot great. No problem loading even after 10 shots.

Our hunting camp has always used Hornady great plains 385gr over 70 grains of powder. Nothing fancy but in my t/c it shoots amazing groups out to 150. And it has blown through everything we have shot with them in the past 5 years.

Another vote for Thor's over Blackhorn 209 powder. If you size them right they are very easy to load. 350 gr Thors shot very well out of my TC Omega with 90grns, sub MOA.

Check the sizing on your Thors once you receive them. I bought a box of .500 this spring and about 3/4 of them were too big (.501-.502) to fit in my gun.

Reactions: FLS
Check the sizing on your Thors once you receive them. I bought a box of .500 this spring and about 3/4 of them were too big (.501-.502) to fit in my gun.
I got a test kit of Thors and out of curiosity, I mic'd them before loading. Three of them were the same and all loaded the same. After that exercise, I felt like it was a waste of time and money because I learned nothing.

I used Thor on my 2018 ML hunt. Shot my bull at about 60 yards and he was done in another 25. I started with the test kit and went from there as far as sizing. I spent a ton of time shooting them. I weighed out every Blackhorn 209 powder charge on a scale and had my CVA shooting some tight groups out to and past 100 yds. I would never use anohter load if I go again.

Just got my gun dialed in with 300 grain Thor’s and 110 grains triple 7. I’m very impressed. This is 50 yards open sights then 100. I’m a bowhunter and don’t shoot guns a lot so for me I’m very happy. Probably won’t take a shot over 100 yards with the open sights but I mainly hunt thick timber so come on September!82C737B5-DC7B-4F13-A8E8-000681A8AE18.jpegEB8F8DA1-2E0E-4D95-8713-D4599C249A38.jpeg

Finally got a chance to shoot the Thor 300s. They shoot well but I switched to a rear peep and the elevation is about maxed out. I’m going to make a shim and shoot them some more but so far so good.
They are tough to load after a couple of shots. Other than swabbing every 2-3 shots, is there anything else to facilitate easier loading?

Finally got a chance to shoot the Thor 300s. They shoot well but I switched to a rear peep and the elevation is about maxed out. I’m going to make a shim and shoot them some more but so far so good.
They are tough to load after a couple of shots. Other than swabbing every 2-3 shots, is there anything else to facilitate easier loading?

Have you tried blowing through the barrel? 3-4 breaths down the muzzle will dampen fouling (well it does with real powder anyway) and loading is much easier. There are several ways to accomplish this. You can put your fist over the muzzle and blow through your hand, or you can by a short piece of plastic tubing at the hardware store.

Frankly swabbing after every shot is probably a better approximation of what your rifle will shoot from a clean bore - which is what you need to know for hunting.

With 777 being water-soluble, I always had luck with shots 3+ wetting the sabot/round with spit. However, with 777, I never had much luck past 5 shots, it's just too dirty.

You can also switch to BH209, it's much cleaner and never seems to get hard to load.

I know you are bought in on Thor, but to me this is another + for the Federal BOR Locks. Since the collar doesn't engage the rifling until they are fired, they are always easy to load. I have successfully loaded 13 consecutive BOR Locks without spitting, spit patch, swabbing, etc. I was able to start them all with finger pressure only.

I used a 270 Federal B.O.R. Lock a few years ago on a muley and wasn't excited about the performance on the animal, not great penetration or opening, it was a tough quartering away angle. What are you 270 copper B.O.R Lock fans getting for muzzle velocity? I got a new barrel on my Encore and so far they have grouped the best. I was hopeful for the No Excuses would shoot, they shot well out of my Omega, but they are grouping minute of elk out of the Encore. What kind of results on elk are people getting with the 270 copper and 350 lead?

To me the Thor was too much of a pain, so I’m went with the Federal B.O.R. Lock 350 lead. Easy to load and groups great. Hopefully we will see how they work on an elk in a few weeks

Update. I’ve got the Thor’s dialed in. 2.5 - 3” 3 groups at 100 yds over 100 grains of 777. 300 grain Powerbelts shoot to same POA so I’ve been practicing with them. I was using the Williams globe front with a single vertical post, and a rear peep, but switched to a FO front sight. I could not see the front post on a dark target in low light. I’m thinking about trying the BH 209. Less than a month out.

Back