Caribou Gear Tarp

CO Elk Harvest

I'm always amazed at how many "hunters" we talk to who complain there are no deer or elk around when all they do is ride around on atv's. They think they're being stealthy because they drive up the road slowly but we've been listening to them chugging up the road for the last 15-20 minutes.

Good stuff Randy,spot on!
Here in NM I am constantly amazed at how few footprints I see even half mile from a road. I know there are other hunters out where I go,but I rarely see their tracks. Even on the ranches I travel,few tracks off road.
I must admit in not filling a bull tag the last few years,but that is due to not drawing ,or being a wise guy/or not, and passing on 320 dinks and after THE bull....lol.
But I have filled my cow tags,even had to pack one out...a fun 2 days,solo.

Like you said,"What else are you going to do?" That is the most fun of the hunt,retrieving your meat.
How many guys you know are packing and heading out the last day of a hunt?
Or had to be at work the next day? What if they had actually hunted and filled a tag that last night?

I watched dozens of hunters pass by a mountain with 6 BC bulls on it a few seasons ago.I had tag for unit across hwy and watched those bulls bed on that mtn....in plain sight of road. I saw 3 trucks (Big OFF Road) stop and glass them......I could see the guys shake their heads and then they would drive off. I stopped one heading out the day after and asked why they passed on those bulls. "Man, that is some thick,nasty stuff" as he points at the Mtn. The top of the Mtn was only 1000' above the canyon,yeah straight up inplaces,but criss/crossed with elk trails. Easy peasy walking,zizag.
Guy is maybe 35,Sitka clothes on still and he probably gets winded climbin' into that big truck....

I'm 60 this week and planning on packing out a bull and buck if I'm so lucky in the draw ....probably only a couple miles off a road.......
and I had a heart attack a month ago. Fine now,dodged a bullet again.
Hunt smarter,not harder!

Last edited:
The way I look at the lazy hunter stuff, is that it just opens up more opportunity for me! It is comical to hear the whining, though, about lack of opportunity and closed roads.

I think a change of the nomenclature with respect to roads might change some peoples thinking.

For example, I say roads are gated, not closed. On a CA hunting Facebook page someone asked me the difference. I said while there may not be a technical difference, "closed" indicates you can't access the area when in reality, that is not the case.

I think a change of the nomenclature with respect to roads might change some peoples thinking.

For example, I say roads are gated, not closed. On a CA hunting Facebook page someone asked me the difference. I said while there may not be a technical difference, "closed" indicates you can't access the area when in reality, that is not the case.

Gates don't stop people either. I bet 1/2 of the gates in Western Montana have a fourwheeler trail cut around it.

What a wonderful thread. Just as I was thinking I wish Randy would elaborate, he does! This has me even more stoked to see what I draw in NM next week. Thank you to all!

23 years of hunting Co. for elk and tagged 12 bulls 4 cows I believe I have seen 5 other hunters from the few spots I have hunted . Just takes a little walking and don't be afraid of the dark. Those who hunt the hardest are usually the luckiest east or west coast. N.C. hunter

A lot of valid points here I'm sure. I know I have been intimidated by the country out there, even scared a time or two. But I will point out, that many of the guys discussing the thread on Rokslide are westerners, CO mostly it appears. They suggest the elk are spending more time on private or numbers are down. Hunter pressure affecting long term behavior. First few comments on here were similar and from westerners too. Just opinion I know. Interesting thoughts though.

I know for dang sure ducks around here have adjusted behaviors due to hunting pressure. They sure find the safe areas year after year plus feed more at night. Not sayin we don't still kill'em, but it's different.

I would bet an elk is sharper than the average duck.

HD

I'm one of those "Lucky" guys who has a high success rate. last year I could have put a bull and a 'B list" cow in the freezer. Since I already had my bull in the freezer I did decide I didn't want to pack the cow in my sights out and passed. I had already put my legwork in to get to her, it was more of a confirm where they are for next year hike. They will be in the PJ and oakbrush in my go to western Colorado unit. It's tough, thick, and a nasty pack out but I usually find one every year. Without a Joking , tell me where your honey holes are post.

Thanks Randy, that is some great information right there for an elk hunting rookie like myself.

I'll read a book titled "The best public land elk hunters you've never heard of" long before I pick one up written by a "hunting celebrity" or watch one of those garbage shows they put on tv.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back