CO Elk harvest statistics

s10

For the sake of discussion...I was looking through the recently posted Colorado 2021 harvest statistics. There was only a 36% response rate for those that were surveyed on last years elk success/days afield. Do you all put much value into these statistics? Also, do you all feel that the folks that respond are likely more public land hunters or private? I feel as though these surveys are important management tools and it is disappointing that more do not respond.

Something to consider-- I could be wrong but I think the 36% response rate is also just the percentage of the small group of random hunters selected for the survey--not all hunters are surveyed to my knowledge. I'm with you and think that surveying everyone who has a tag would be beneficial. Don't some states require all tag holders being surveyed after the season?

They are fine for OTC in big units but are worthless for limited seasons in smaller units.

Something to consider-- I could be wrong but I think the 36% response rate is also just the percentage of the small group of random hunters selected for the survey--not all hunters are surveyed to my knowledge. I'm with you and think that surveying everyone who has a tag would be beneficial. Don't some states require all tag holders being surveyed after the season?
Of the states I've hunted...

AK
OK
MA
VT
NH
UT
ID

Also one's that I know off
CA/PA/OR/WA/NM

CO requires MSGBL to be reported.

It's dumb they don't require mandatory hunt reports.

I think the statistics can give you a good idea of what a unit will be like. You can see that a lot of the hardest to draw tags have better success rates than OTC units (generally).
I also wish that more people responded. I think it would be wise to have people fill out the survey before they’re allowed to apply for tags the following year. Then we could see some high response rates

They are worthless no matter ifvits otc. Or limited season/unit does anyone actually believe those
That do the survey actually give truthfull information ??? Your extremely gullible if you do

Of the states I've hunted...

AK
OK
MA
VT
NH
UT
ID

Also one's that I know off
CA/PA/OR/WA/NM

CO requires MSGBL to be reported.

It's dumb they don't require mandatory hunt reports.
You should try western ny stauben county
Produces some of the biggest whitetails taken in the state

I do take the results into consideration but use caution. I don’t now what the percentage of people surveyed is. I will say though I am a resident and have at least 2-3 tags a year, sometimes more, both OTC and limited draw and I’ve never not been surveyed. I haven’t always done the survey, probably 75%, but I’ve been contacted about every tag I’ve had since 2016 when I started here. I’ve also alway been truthful on them.

To another point I’ve always hated that CPW doesn’t break up public land and private land. Seems like it’d be as easy as adding the question, “did you harvest on public or private?” to the survey people already take. Unless there is something more complicated to it I don’t understand?

Yeah you have to report whether you hunted or not first, if you did then they ask more questions about where, how many days, if/what you killed.
Wonder how many actually fill the tag but report
They didnt bet it's quite a few

They are worthless no matter ifvits otc. Or limited season/unit does anyone actually believe those
That do the survey actually give truthfull information ??? Your extremely gullible if you do

So we can all assume if/when you are surveyed you wouldn't have the morals or ethics to answer correctly? And can also assume all those bucks in your avatar were thus incorrectly or not even registered?

So we can all assume if/when you are surveyed you wouldn't have the morals or ethics to answer correctly? And can also assume all those bucks in your avatar were thus incorrectly or not even registered?
Never registered the states they were harvested in do not require mandatory harvest reporting
/Registering so your assumption would be WRONG you can't incorrectly register them when its not mandatory now can you ? i dont do surveys
I hang up the phone the minute they state the purpose of their call

Here is California it is mandatory to submit your harvest report card information. If you don't it costs you another $21.60 (just looked it up) the next season you buy a tag. With our already high cost of license and tags it kinda stings to get that added. So we make double sure our group is on top of submitting the required information. I think in general it's a good thing for more accurate info on harvest statistics for the sake of making sure the hunted animals are not over harvested.

I do know several people that do not register their harvest even though it is required ,
problem Is the state doesnt enforce it even if you call and turn them in they assume if you dont report it you didn't notch your tag

It's incredible to me that eastern states that have to beg folks to shoot enough deer require hunters to report their harvests, but western states that have to throttle down the demand for tags because of insufficient supply are still relying on folks that don't "hang up the phone the minute they state the purpose of the call." I mean, I'm not a stats guy and I guess they'd say that the data they're getting is "good enough." But, like, it could be better, couldn't it?

FWIW, I've had 4 big game tags in Colorado, and have been surveyed 3 times: once for OTC elk, once for LE elk, and once for LE deer.

I hang up the phone the minute they state the purpose of their call

I can't understand why any one who cares one iota about hunting would do this, I answer every call and have written numerous emails asking for CO to go to mandatory hunt reporting.

In my mind your response makes you ineligible to complain about management in your state.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back