Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

CO Deer: Wind, Treasures, and... Wind

i'm very happy. but i'm mad at myself. i know sometimes these things happen, like i said, it just hadn't happened to me yet (only a 5th year hunter). i've always prided myself on what have been predominantly solid on point shots that i've taken thus far. luckily he was not hurting for very long.

i was still ecstatic though. wide young forky. time to get to work. luckily it was only about 2:10 in the afternoon.

unnamed (6).jpgunnamed (9).jpg

Last edited:
i got my deer all taken care of. loaded the entire thing into my pack and was starting the trek back to the truck by about 3:50. holy cow is it nice to shoot a deer in the middle of the day. there's another first.

but i still had about three miles back and i was going with the whole deer on my back or not going at all.

i was still all smiles.

unnamed (8).jpg

Last edited:
Good story—I really enjoyed the read and could relate to the wind hatred. Persistent wind is close brethren to persistent mosquitoes. And congratulations on your buck—sounds like the way it went down was a difficult but important learning experience. I had a very similar one a few years ago.

Good story—I really enjoyed the read and could relate to the wind hatred. Persistent wind is close brethren to persistent mosquitoes. And congratulations on your buck—sounds like the way it went down was a difficult but important learning experience. I had a very similar one a few years ago.

thank you! and yes, definitely a learning experience.

firstly, in hindsight, i had more time to take that first shot than i was thinking in the moment, i could've ranged him and steadied a little more, and of course if he ran off before i could shoot then he ran off. he can be found the next day. very thankful he didn't disappear after the shot and that i patiently looked for him.

Great recap Togie, you hunt long enough and a bad hit is bound to happen and typically, as you noted, it’s something brought upon ourselves. I’ve had my share of “moments” while bow hunting especially but nearly all (screw ups) have resulted, luckily, in complete misses rather than poor hits.

You were prudent in following up the way you did even though you thought you had wiffed… I wish more people would be as diligent!

Get out of the wind and enjoy you some backstrap!

sweat baby sweat

really want these buttoned up and done by thanksgiving.

IMG-8547.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back