CO deer points. What would you do?

Southern Elk

I currently have 9 preference points for mule deer in Colorado. I've always applied for a deer point when applying for elk, without giving much thought to where I would eventually hunt. I need advice on where to go from here. My goal is to kill a nice buck on a DIY hunt. I would do bow or gun, but I'm leaning towards rifle hunting because it should increase my odds. What would you do, if you were in my position? Keep accumulating points? Try to go ahead and draw a tag? If so, could you recommend a unit?

I would burn them in 2016. The season dates are as late as they will ever be. The 3rd season will cover much of the rut and you have some excellent hunt options with that level of points.

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of a rut hunt with a rifle. I've never specifically targeted mule deer, although I have had a tag in my pocket before while elk hunting. Any info on what to look for when picking where to hunt them would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty much same boat as you. I have 10or 11points and am ready to unload em on a 3rd season hunt.

Edit: i just checked i have 12deer points and 11elk points. Any ideas where to burn em? Been buildi g points to hunt unit 44 3rd deer again. That is where i had my last CO deer tag. Don't think i will ever draw it again so ready to jump ship i guess.

Last edited:
Diesel, give me a call & let me know what you decide. We are sitting on 9 and in the same position. I to noticed the season dates this year are very favorable.

I have 6 points and I've been a point behind the 4th season tag I've wanted since they opened it up, so I'm going to waste one or two and dump them off on a RFW that only takes 4 points so I can start back to 0 and be a point behind my wife now so we can get into some hunts together in the future since she only has 1 point.

Hardscrabble will do. Gonna do some research after the first of the year. If you come up with any good ideas let me know also.

Last edited:
I have a feeling there is going to be a bunch of pt leaping that takes place this coming year for the exact reason Big Fin mentioned above! A lot of guys have been waiting to take advantage of the 5 year season date change. I predict that the pts required to draw many of the better 3rd and 4th season tags this coming year to increase in dramatic fashion..

I think some of you are giving way to much credit to how most people with deer/elk points think.

Common question......I have 19 deer points, where should I hunt?

Jorgy, what kind of terrain and hunt do you prefer? There are early high country, eastern plains, late rifle, archery, muzzy, or rifle, etc? The early high alpine hunts are in gorgeous country but you may have to spend a few weeks figuring out where to find the few pockets of bucks. The high desert is obviously open sage/pj country which can have few deer in some spots but concentrations of deer in others....you made need to wade through many 140 to 150" bucks to find a keeper, Eastern plains has outrageous TF type bucks that depending upon the weapon of choice may be able to hunt in full rut....but lots of private land to contend with. Late rifle hunts are towards the start of the rut but can be hit or miss depending on migration, weather, and snow depth. Do you want B&C or nothing? Some units may have not have the best genetics, some may have winter die off problems, other units may not have many deer but if you find one it may be a wall hanger. Pick your poison!

Jims, sorry to have you go through a really good post for no reason on my part. I was being sarcastic (we need a font for that) I was commenting on how I believe a lot of the guys who are at max points are just point hoarders and don't have a lot of thought on season dates, moon phase or anything else. It's just hoarding points because they are a limited commodity. Why would someone spend 20 years saving for something, and then not have a clue what to do with it. It just goes so far from how my mind works.
Not saying that I believe that is how everyone at max points is, but I do believe it's more than the guys with a plan.

Most think Colorado deer points are like a food stamp program, entitlement if u will. Hey, I saved up 20 points now what do I do with zero $ to go outfitted, zero on the ground experience and zero networking for that 20 years other than a hunting fool membership. Then comes that desperate public plea for draw data and on the ground help online........ Because I saved my points and I deserve it!

Most think Colorado deer points are like a food stamp program, entitlement if u will. Hey, I saved up 20 points now what do I do with zero $ to go outfitted, zero on the ground experience and zero networking for that 20 years other than a hunting fool membership. Then comes that desperate public plea for draw data and on the ground help online........ Because I saved my points and I deserve it!

Sorry we don't do it the way you would like. I have hunted unit 44 for deer once and elk about 5times. So i know that unit pretty decent. Always planned on hunting it again. But with the point creep i may never draw it again. Sorry i dont have time to drive down and drive around every unit i the state to find one i like. Since you aren't bringing anything to the table other than bitching. You could just as well take a hike and go find another thread.

I bring a lot to this thread, such as stopping your delusions that you will ever hunt 44 deer again as a NR.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back