Co. archery elk opinions

Therightbull

Drawed elk for sixty-six trying to figure out whether to hunt week before muzzleloader or wk after all opinions will be greatly appreciated

As a generalization bulls are typically not as active before muzzy, however they are less pressured and educated to hunting pressure for the year.
After the 9 day muzzy season they tend to be more weary about the hunting pressure but as the days and nights get cooler they seem to be more active which could result in more opportunities.
I tend to lean more towards the start of the season when the elk are “fresh”. I like the challenge of working into their late summer pattern and outsmarting them.

As a generalization bulls are typically not as active before muzzy, however they are less pressured and educated to hunting pressure for the year.
After the 9 day muzzy season they tend to be more weary about the hunting pressure but as the days and nights get cooler they seem to be more active which could result in more opportunities.
I tend to lean more towards the start of the season when the elk are “fresh”. I like the challenge of working into their late summer pattern and outsmarting them.
Thankyou very much

In my past experience early seems to be spot n stock, maybe some bugling if cooler, they are more jumpy after but don't know how they are in draw unit

I can’t speak to 66 specifically as I’ve never hunted it, but with a unit that big and as much wilderness as there is I’d venture to say that if you put enough miles into elk country you’d strike up bulls no matter what part of the season you hunt.

I can’t speak to 66 specifically as I’ve never hunted it, but with a unit that big and as much wilderness as there is I’d venture to say that if you put enough miles into elk country you’d strike up bulls no matter what part of the season you hunt.
Thankyou very much, that is what I was wondering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back