Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Co 61 elk first rifle

CABugle

I have been doing research sence I got the tag and just thought I would ask any of you Hunt talkers if you had info for me. I have talked to past hunters in this unit as well as leaving a message for the biologist.

I will probably be hunting this solo, but am in good shape (mid 30's) and will be trying to avoid the crowds. How are the roads once they get wet? Are the elk up near divide road in the timber or are they in the oak brush during the first rifle season? I know it depends on the year but are the elk still vocal then? Do most people camp up on divide road, like they do during deer season( I have hunted 62 several times)?

Anyone have any pictures of bulls taken in the past from there? Thanks, and I hope one day I can return the favor.

CABugle

The elk will likely be in the oak brush then. There might still be some bugling, but it will taper off when the shooting starts. Roads can be pretty greasy when wet, although there is a lot of rock in that country which makes it less difficult in some areas. Most will camp up on the divide. I've never had an elk tag there, so no grip-and-grins from me.

Good luck. I'd offer to help you pack a bull out, but I'll be hunting a different area at that time.

61 is a good unit lots of elk, I am hunting 62, across the road in 4th rifle season! SO how many points did it take you to draw?

It took me 17 points to draw. arffdog good luck in 62, I have hunted it several times and will be there hunting deer during the third season.

CABugle

Look up sunset canyon outfitters. Curt Weimer runs a hunting camp out of there. He also has non-guided trips where you stay in his cabins and use his showers and get fed and dont have to pack all of the camping gear. He will also help you pack out your kill with his horses for a small fee. We used him in 2006 to hunt in 62 on a self guided hunt. He is on the 61 side of divide south of windy point. He would also guide you if you like. All of this is provided he is still in business after this economy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back