Caribou Gear

CO 1st rifle elk- how early do you go up?

lifesupport4u

Heading up for my hunt the day before 1st rifle starts in CO?

Who else is headed out for CO 1st rifle and how early are you going up?

Leaving for Western Colorado on Sunday morning. Stop in Utah first, then should be packing in elk camp by Tuesday afternoon.

Getting to CO friday am. Using Friday to scout as much ground as possible and saturday am start the hunt!

Heading west next Thursday early...overnite Chama or Pagosa Springs...settle in Friday.

I am headed up Wednesday afternoon, hopefully get some scouting in on Thursday

Leaving on Tuesday from Iowa, should have Camp set up by Wednesday afternoon for 2-2.5 days scouting. Went last year and had one day of scout time and wished for 2 so made a change to plans for this year. But definitely having 1 day is a good idea in my opinion.

I'll be heading up on Friday morning to meet up with some buddies and get a bit of scouting before the opener! I feel like I have been packing for weeks for this trip!

Headed up Sunday to set up parts of camp (I attempted to do it a couple days ago, but was foiled by 2' snow drifts on the north facing bends of the main road in and a bunch of downed aspens), spend the afternoon/evening grouse hunting and campfire-watching, then home for a couple of days of work and back up Wednesday afternoon. My best friends from childhood (the actual tag-holders) will arrive Thursday from MN. My nephew (another non-tag-holder) should be up Friday.

Very excited for these guys - hunting this particular spot has been our "fallback" plan for a couple of years, but this is the first time we've actually gotten to do it after my Gila tag last year and buddy's dads WY deer tag the year before replaced it as option A.

I hunt 2nd season and always go up on either Wed or Th before the season starts (This year Wed). That gives us time to set up cam, cut fire wood and then take a walk/scout around for a couple of days. No hurry. Also, coming early pretty much assures us of getting the campsite we want.

Also, coming early pretty much assures us of getting the campsite we want.

That's my biggest fear - equivalent to a fear of not seeing elk :) I've got a few backups, but "our" spot is so special to me I have a pit in my stomach from the minute I turn onto the second to last highway all the way up to camp. Like 100 miles of wondering if the truck in front of me is beating me there. I may need help :)

Headed up to 181 on Thursday evening if I can manage it, early Friday if I can't. Have my three spots e-scouted, now have to see if they pan out.
I hope so -- it would be nice to an elk along with a lot of exercise!

That's my biggest fear - equivalent to a fear of not seeing elk :) I've got a few backups, but "our" spot is so special to me I have a pit in my stomach from the minute I turn onto the second to last highway all the way up to camp. Like 100 miles of wondering if the truck in front of me is beating me there. I may need help :)

So funny, you couldn't have described this better. I literally pass every truck humanly possible and hate stopping because I know for certain someone just beat me to my spot.

I typically head out on Friday, get to the trail at dark and walk in to my glassing spot then get a few hours sleep before the sun comes up. I mostly backpack hunt so I'm not too worried about trucks at the trail head so much as other head lamps out on the ridge I'm headed up.

Leaving on Tuesday from Iowa, should have Camp set up by Wednesday afternoon for 2-2.5 days scouting. Went last year and had one day of scout time and wished for 2 so made a change to plans for this year. But definitely having 1 day is a good idea in my opinion.

As a fellow Iowan, GOODLUCK!!!!

I'm currently in Central Wyoming and its snowing. From looking at the Front Range of Colorado yesterday there seems to be a good amount of early snow up high. I would be prepared for some snow camping if your making the trip. I bet the 1st season will be an amazing hunt this year. Good luck on your hunts.

Headed to Rico area, should be arriving Thursday night. Any idea on weather? Anyone else spike camping. Looks like its going to be a little cold at night.

I showed up Saturday night fresh off a successful WY antelope hunt and have covered 3 of 4 of my e-scouting locations and locations suggested by the ranger....over 23 miles of bootleather invested and one jacked-up rental SUV thats gonna require a claim from horrendous forest service roads. Needless to say I am pretty bummed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back