MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Closing the gap on Turkey advice

Stsinclair

Hey everyone, first thread here and I'm hoping its not an over played question. I've already searched and read as much as I could on previous threads.

This is my first year hunting Turkey here in CO, I tried a few times on the front range for Merriams but no dice. However in SE CO I've had much better opportunities with Rios, only problem is I cant get them in range/eyesight. For situational knowledge, Ill be set up under a tree or tucked into some bushes sometimes with a single hen decoy 30 yards out in a clear spot or no decoy. I've either just decided to try the spot due to sign and heard a gobble within ten minutes or so of sitting and soft calling, or I've heard a gobble and I set up within what I believe is 60-100 yards from where I heard it last. In both situations I've gotten at least two or three responses from him each getting closer and closer till I feel he's within 20-30 yards but behind some taller grass or bushes etc. Then just like that I never hear/see him again. Its happened on three occasions. I don't make any fast fidgeting movements or noises, pretty disciplined in that regard. I use some regular yelps mixed in with some purrs and clucks spontaneously. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Advice?

On one occasion I actually spotted the gobbler through the brushes, about 60 yards away. Just kinda strolling through feeding and not really response gobbling to my calls but randomly gobbling and looking around. I didn't have a decoy then and I just watched him stroll through some more bushes/juniper and then disappeared.

I appreciate any and all replies, best of luck to those of you still trying to fill your tags or getting ready for the season opener!

Hey everyone, first thread here and I'm hoping its not an over played question. I've already searched and read as much as I could on previous threads.

This is my first year hunting Turkey here in CO, I tried a few times on the front range for Merriams but no dice. However in SE CO I've had much better opportunities with Rios, only problem is I cant get them in range/eyesight. For situational knowledge, Ill be set up under a tree or tucked into some bushes sometimes with a single hen decoy 30 yards out in a clear spot or no decoy. I've either just decided to try the spot due to sign and heard a gobble within ten minutes or so of sitting and soft calling, or I've heard a gobble and I set up within what I believe is 60-100 yards from where I heard it last. In both situations I've gotten at least two or three responses from him each getting closer and closer till I feel he's within 20-30 yards but behind some taller grass or bushes etc. Then just like that I never hear/see him again. Its happened on three occasions. I don't make any fast fidgeting movements or noises, pretty disciplined in that regard. I use some regular yelps mixed in with some purrs and clucks spontaneously. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Advice?

On one occasion I actually spotted the gobbler through the brushes, about 60 yards away. Just kinda strolling through feeding and not really response gobbling to my calls but randomly gobbling and looking around. I didn't have a decoy then and I just watched him stroll through some more bushes/juniper and then disappeared.

I appreciate any and all replies, best of luck to those of you still trying to fill your tags or getting ready for the season opener!
Try shutting your calls down for a while after they respond a couple times. Then be very patient. That Tom knows where you are. Sit for a while, a long while. Good chance he will swing by eventually. I often run no decoy because it causes them to look more for the bird. If the Tom sees the decoy he may hold up just out of range and try to get the hen to come to him.

Once the Tom knows where you are, don’t over call. I’ve only hunted easterns and sometimes they take their time and circle around the set up before coming in. Just be patient and wait for him to come in (hopefully). Turkey hunting can be frustrating but it sure is fun.

Consider adding a jake decoy to your set-up. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg for one either. Here in northern Minnesota, all I have for decoys is a jake and two cheap hen dekes. Every gobbler and jake that I've killed always zero in on the jake. As far as calling, a very effective call that's a cinch to use is a Quaker Boy Cyclone push-pin call. You'll love using it. It yelps, putts, clucks, and purrs. And one last thing. Don't be too picky out there. Jakes make fine table fare. I never met a jake I wouldn't take.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I will keep at it and cut back on calling and sit longer. I’ll update if I ever get one, thanks again!

I feel like you may be underestimating the distances that the birds are from you. That’s not a huge deal though.

Don’t over call. Try yelping and clucking a time or two and then be quiet for 20 or 30 minutes. Keep your eyes peeled and be still. Good things will happen.

I very well could, first wild turkey I heard gobble sounded like he was right on the other side of the tree, turns out he was more like 60 yards. I've tried to keep that in mind now when judging distance.

First of all, what you are describing is called turkey hunting and you may not be doing anything wrong. I can't count the number of times I have had a gobbler hang up at 60-90 yards. I often will run no decoy or a hen and a jake with the hen flat on the ground and the jake behind it. That makes big toms really agitated. I primarily run and gun turkey and I will locate a tom and know where he is coming in from and set a decoy behind and offset to make the tom have to get a little closer than he would like.

When you are calling in male turkeys, you are working against what nature has set up as the standard operating procedure of the male turkey. They know the lay of the land, and they have set up strut zones that they get to, and kind of expect hens to know where they are hanging out. The gobbling alerts the hens to their presence on the strut zones. This is not quite set in stone like prairie chickens or sage grouse/sharptail leks, but it is somewhat related bird behaviors.

When you are successful in pulling a tom across the woods to you, you have turned Ma Nature upside down. And sometimes that old tom realizes he has been going against nature, so he pulls up short of the supposed spot where a hen has been agitating against him (calling) and decides that he has come the first 90% of the way, but is gonna insist that the hen finish closing the distance for him....the vital last 10%.

I've had some success in hunting with another partner to start calling behind me in relation to the expected path of the turkey, much in the same way that archery elk calling often relies on a caller being a distraction and further away from the shooter in relation to the incoming bull.

The THP guys use decoys sparingly, and if they do set up a decoy, they try to set it up (hen, jake or tom) in such a way that the decoy isn't visible from a long distance away. They want to make the advancing tom come all the way to find the "bird" that has been calling to them.

And I will never stop being in awe how accurate both turkeys and elk can be when it comes to zeroing in on the spot where the caller has been calling from. Very accurate echolocation skills.

When you are calling in male turkeys, you are working against what nature has set up as the standard operating procedure of the male turkey. They know the lay of the land, and they have set up strut zones that they get to, and kind of expect hens to know where they are hanging out. The gobbling alerts the hens to their presence on the strut zones. This is not quite set in stone like prairie chickens or sage grouse/sharptail leks, but it is somewhat related bird behaviors.

When you are successful in pulling a tom across the woods to you, you have turned Ma Nature upside down. And sometimes that old tom realizes he has been going against nature, so he pulls up short of the supposed spot where a hen has been agitating against him (calling) and decides that he has come the first 90% of the way, but is gonna insist that the hen finish closing the distance for him....the vital last 10%.

I've had some success in hunting with another partner to start calling behind me in relation to the expected path of the turkey, much in the same way that archery elk calling often relies on a caller being a distraction and further away from the shooter in relation to the incoming bull.

The THP guys use decoys sparingly, and if they do set up a decoy, they try to set it up (hen, jake or tom) in such a way that the decoy isn't visible from a long distance away. They want to make the advancing tom come all the way to find the "bird" that has been calling to them.

And I will never stop being in awe how accurate both turkeys and elk can be when it comes to zeroing in on the spot where the caller has been calling from. Very accurate echolocation skills.

You make a great point about decoys. Usually if I am using a decoy it is going to be during the later parts of the day or later parts of the season. Toms seem to be a little more desperate and more willing to come in to a decoy for me if hens are off sitting on nests and if the decoy is not visible to a tom from 100 yards away.

I very well could, first wild turkey I heard gobble sounded like he was right on the other side of the tree, turns out he was more like 60 yards. I've tried to keep that in mind now when judging distance.
It takes experience to be able to accurately judge how far a gobble is away. Terrain, wind, and humidity all change things up.

I would probably not be good at judging the distance myself in the mountains and thinner air. No experience.

Consider placing the decoy closer, maybe 15-20 yards, and have it facing in your general direction.

Something I’ve experienced with Easterns: if a bird is responding to your calls off the roost or shortly there after, but doesn’t show itself in an hour or two, wait it out. After the toms get bored with the real thing, they often come back looking for that other hen they heard - ie you - mid to late morning. Just be ready, they often come in quiet and it’s hard not to get busted if you don’t have a blind.

And as others have said, you might just be experiencing turkey hunting. I am more or less a self taught turkey hunter and it took me a number of years to “put it together.” The more experience you have - I mean mistakes I have made - the better I have gotten. There’s no shortcuts to time in the field.

Last edited:
I have been reminded of this 2 of the last 3 springs when I've placed some decoys, called a few times, then caught my late morning power nap and awoke 45 minutes later to birds in the decoys.

We had a first-time situation happen Saturday. Some birds were roosted not far behind us (we misjudged the night before and they were 90 degrees from where we thought they'd be). One of the hens pitched out, sailed over OUR tree and landed across the creek (which was maybe 75 yards in front of us). 20 minutes later a puffed out strutting bird comes in silent to the decoys. I get the gun up, ready to be done 5 minutes in, but no beard and the bird sure looks small and light colored. Swap shotgun for Binos and it is absolutely a hen, but yet she's all fanned out strutting towards the decoys, tipping her fan side to side and spinning around, just everything a gobbler would do. I studied every feather on that birds chest from all angles through glass at 20 yards and it wasn't a bearded hen. I've never seen anything like it.

Some good advice so far.
definitiely don’t over call, make the gobbler beg for it. Also, regarding the decoy set up, I have transitioned to only using a jake decoy and it works very well. I don’t see the need to have more then that. For years I used to put out 2 hens and a jake, but that’s overkill. Jake is plenty decoy.
Just to reiterate, don’t over call...

yesterday was opening day here in Jersey and it took me an hour to get the jake I ultimately killed in range. He hung up at least 150 yards away for more than 45 minutes of that hour and when that happens the urge to reposition yourself closer gets pretty strong. Resist that because your odds of spooking the bird are probably better than actually getting it. Just hang tight and let him come to you...
Like Greenwood, I too would never pass up a jake as I am an equal opportunity turkey hunter...first legal bird in range is going home with me 😉
Here’s my bird from yesterday:
E86A26A7-7C83-43D0-B8D9-F85EF354917D.jpeg

I agree with the "don't over call" testament, about 90% of the time. It sounds odd to lots of folks and it isn't right for every situation, but I have on multiple occasions called in hesitant toms by deliberately overcalling.
It's not my go to move, but I've found myself in situations where toms have hung up due to either physical barriers, or to stay with hen(s).
I have had situations where I know that there are groups of curious jakes in the area and turned it up to 11 to call them in and get them fired up and gobbling. Some times that will be the final straw for the tom and he has to come in and check it out because he refuses to lose a hen to a bunch of jakes. This is one of the most exciting ways I've killed toms. You've got jakes strutting and gobbling like crazy to keep your attention, then out of no where a tom comes sprinting in. This works well if you have a partner with you and you can sound like a few different birds. Kind of like Marcus' "Cow Party" technique he uses from time to time.
Another situation is if a tom is stuck with a vocal hen, you can get real aggressive and call over her and cut her off in hopes that she gets fed up enough to come check you out, hence dragging the tom along.
Like I said, its not for everybody, nor every situation. I usually do it one private land or where there are a good amount of birds and big chunks of public to move to if it doesn't work. Also, if there are other hunters near by, they're probably going to think your an idiot. But if you're hauling out a stubborn gobbler, jokes on them. You might even get a note on your pickup saying you call too much like Corey Jacobson gets. :LOL:

This stuff sure hits home, especially this week for me. I am hunting here in Indiana at one of the wildlife management areas ( 8,000 acres). Draw only. I have never hunted here before and unfortunately all of my scouting was done via google earth. Fortunately there are areas that are a good 3/4 mile to 1.5 mile walk in and that separates alot of people out. In two solid days I have not seen or heard another person and today I walked a good 3 miles total and took the long way back.

Yesterday I went to spot #1 and had two gobblers at sunup. I was able to get within 100 yards and watched him strut in the tree and gobble maybe 15 times. I did a fly down call and about 5 minutes later I heard a bunch of yelping and cutting between me and him, but couldn't see the hens due to terrain. He instantly flew down to them and never looked back. I waited an hour and no response to calls or anything so I go up and moved in his last direction. I made it to his roost tree and he gobbled probably 150 yards away. I sat down and called softly and waited. No response and nothing. After and hour I did it again and moved up. Again he gobbled about 150 yards farther away. Repeat performance. Around 1030 I decided to scout and found some good scratchings and at noon called it quits ( legal quitting time).

Today I went back to same spot and had 4 gobblers in front of me spread out about 500 yards apart ( best guess). This time I was set up a little to the east ( 100 yards from my intial sit yesterday) of where he roosted and again watched him strut in the tree, but this morning was an absolute gobble fest. He must have gobbled 200 times from 5am - 6am and the other 3 toms were hammering it left and right. At 6am I watched him fly down after I did a flydown call and he pitched in my direction. Game on I thought. Nothing. I didn't move. He never gobbled again. In fact the other 3 shut up as soon as they hit the ground as well ( at least they all shut up at 545). No hens this time that I heard. He is big. Full fan and his beard is probably a good 9inches plus. Old raspy gobble.

I did not use decoys either day as I was trying to be as light as possible. I did have an encounter and it was my own fault. On the way out I walked a fire trail/two track that I hadn't been on and it was basically the top of a ridgeback with really nice drops on both sides and elevation changes. I stopped every 200 yards and called trying to get a response. I called... nothing. Waited 5 minutes ( while standing in the middle of the trail) looked up and here comes a Tom running down the trail at me over a little rise. He sees me and I can only imagine how big his eyes must have gotten and he does a 180 and is GONE!!!

My total screw up. I should have found a tree and sat the 5 minutes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back