Clip Flashlight

trophy_killer

I need some information about the Clip Flashlight by Sierra Designs. By the looks of it in Cabelas it looks like it would be a good back country tent but it is also very big. It's about 9 feet long with the fly, is that big for a backcountry tent?? I would think that it would be kind of hard to find a flat spot that is 9 feet long in some of the country that I hunt. So please share your thoughts about it, thanks!!

TK,
Last year when I bought my Half Dome tent at REI, I looked at the Clip Flashlight, I think that was the model, and it seemed acceptable, but the Half Dome was "Tent of the Year"....
biggrin.gif

My best advice, is to go to REI, and look at them, have the guy let you set them up, and take them down. Get inside them, throw some packs from the wall in there, and try them out. Hopefully you are close enough to REI. If not, you need a road trip to one of the REI shops.
elkgrin.gif

TK

I have the three man version. Excellent taste in tents my friend. Are you looking at the two or three man? You need not worry about the length, 2' of the the specs is the vestibule. Okay, so you say the area you hunt in is thick and it might be hard to put a tent this size on the ground. You would be suprised how much space you can find to pitch a tent. I mean, lets be honest here, it isn't like your parking an RV in the woods. You need to be more concerned about this tent being a non-freestanding tent than the size. I haven't ran into an area yet where I couldn't pitch this tent...knock on wood, but it is a fact. One downside on this tent, at least it was 4 years ago when I purchased mine...SD does not give you enough stakes to set up the tent and fly, only enough for the tent, AND there are no guy lines included either. I made mine out of 550 cord. I suspect they did this so they could advertise the tent out a lower weight. If memory serve right, my tent with everything included weighs a tad over 5 lbs. Take care of the tent, and the tent will take care of you.

A few pics for your viewing pleasure (I see they changed the color of it this year.)

Nice summer weather one day...
camp1.jpg

Chitty winter weather the next (These pics were taken deep in the Wrangell Mtns...3' of snow by the time it was all said and done. Keep in mind this is a 3 season tent, we had to kick the snow off every view hours on this trip. I know all the walls of my tent like nobody else would...I never want to spend 72 hours straight in a tent again, unless of course it is a SD
biggrin.gif
)

camp2.jpg

Another one in the Wrangells, this time in the souther portion. Remember I said this was a non-freestanding tent. I was almost worried when we pitched the tent this time. This mountain had a tiny layer of soil, most every thing else underneath the layer was solid rock. I took a lot of hammering and bent stakes to get the tent pitched this time.

jim3copy.jpg

Same place. Notice the slope of the tent? Due to the wind coming over the mountain we had to pitch the tent like so. We also had to sleep with our heads at the foot of the tent that night to keep the all the blood from rushing to our heads. I got to know my buddy a little bit more than I like to admit that night
eek.gif

ron3copy.jpg

Here is one on the Alaska Peninsula. Check out the size of the vestibule. Not much space on this one compared to others. Enough to put some wet boots, clothes, a stove and some other smaller items under, but that is about it. Keep the tent opened us much as possible to get all the moisture out. You might want to sleep with the vestibule closed, but the tent door unzipped if bugs aren't a problem, gets pretty stuffy in there.

tent1copy.jpg

Hope this helps!
smile.gif
vis

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-16-2003 21:47: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

Awesome pictures Ovis!! I was looking at the 2 man for my friend and I. You think it would be to small for two guys of about 5'10 and 160 lbs.?? Only reason I was looking at the two man is because it's about a pound lighter, however I think that the extra size of the three man might be nice. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Hey Ovis, what kind of bag were ya using?? I was thinking of checking out The North Face Tundra but I thought I would get some details about others first.

TK

Length isn't a problem, it is the width. Check out the difference of the sq feet on the two and three man tents. My recommendation, go with the three man. You'll find the added space well worth the extra lil bit of weight. Plus you can throw a few extras in the tent, like rifles and some clothes. A strap'n young guy like yourself, you shouldn't even notice the few ounces more.

smile.gif
vis

17" wider, and $60 more. I can get the three man without a footprint for $230, if you know where I can get it cheaper let me know.

Campmor is much cheaper bud...take a look.

You even get to choose between a 2002 for $189.96 +S&H, or a 2003 for $229.00 +S&H.

Specs for 02...

Capacity 3
Min. Wt. 4 lbs. 15 oz.
Packaged Wt. 5 lbs. 9 oz.
Dimensions 8 ft. x 6 ft. 3 in.
Area(sq. ft.) 44
Interior Ht. 3 ft. 11 in.
Pack Size 6.5 in. x 24 in.
No. of Poles 2
Pole Size 0.368 in.
Pole Material DAC FeatherLite 7001 Aluminum
No. of Doors 1
Hooded Fly No
No. of Windows 1
Gear Loft N/A
Floor Material 2.6 oz. Coated Taffeta Nylon
Fly Material 2 oz. Coated Taffeta Nylon
Roof Material 2 oz. Permeable Ripstop Nylon
Netting 40D No-See-Um
Color Green Floor, White Roof, Green fly
Style 2 Pole Hoop
Activities Backpacking, Kayaking, Bike Touring
Use 3 Seasons
Special Features 43.5 sq.ft. of area at only 4 lbs. 10 oz., 7 sq. ft. vestibule

No See Um window in the door, plus two No See Um panels that run the length of the tent for excellent ventilation
Features 9.35 mm (.368 in.) DAC FeatherLite aluminum poles which are stronger than traditional 7000 series aluminum. By eliminating the insert at the pole connections and replacing it with a tube that fits together by being shrunk at one end and expanded at the other, you create a stronger junction. They are also 15 per cent lighter than other 7000 series aluminum poles
Two Cam-Loc clips at the peak of each pole allow you to 'lock' the clip to the poles. The result is a 12 per cent increase in strength
Locking pole tips hold pole in place and won't slip out of the grommets
Swift Clips™ allow you to stake out your tent, then clip the body of the tent to the poles for quick easy set up
Number 8 zippers with noiseless pulls
Reflective pulls are used on Fly zippers
Computer-Aided Design-CAD
Non wicking stake loops and Fly attachments
7 sq. ft. vestibule
Flashlight ring and mesh storage pockets
'U' shaped door
Flame Retardant
Carry bags and stakes included
Import

Specs for 03...

Capacity 3
Min. Wt. 4 lbs. 15 oz.
Packaged Wt. 5 lbs. 9 oz.
Dimensions 8 ft. x 6 ft. 3 in.
Area(sq. ft.) 44
Interior Ht. 3 ft. 11 in.
Pack Size 6.5 in. x 24 in.
No. of Poles 2
Pole Size 9.35mm
Pole Material DAC FeatherLite 7001 Aluminum
No. of Doors 1
Hooded Fly No
No. of Windows 1
Gear Loft N/A
Floor Material 70D 2.6 oz. Nylon taffeta w/ 3000mm coating
Fly Material 70D 2 oz. Nylon taffeta w/ 1800mm coating
Roof Material 2 oz. Permeable Ripstop Nylon
Netting 40D No-See-Um
Color Green Floor, White Roof, Green fly
Style 2 Pole Hoop
Activities Backpacking, Kayaking, Bike Touring
Use 3 Seasons
Special Features 43.5 sq.ft. of area at only 4 lbs. 15 oz., 7 sq. ft. vestibule

The 'Stash Door' is a solution to damaging door material. It is an internally mounted mesh pocket that the door can be tucked into when open. It keeps the door off the ground, out of the way, and right where it is needed.
No See Um window in the door, plus two No See Um panels that run the length of the tent for excellent ventilation
Features 9.35 mm (.368 in.) DAC FeatherLite aluminum poles which are stronger than traditional 7000 series aluminum. By eliminating the insert at the pole connections and replacing it with a tube that fits together by being shrunk at one end and expanded at the other, you create a stronger junction. They are also 15 per cent lighter than other 7000 series aluminum poles
Two Cam-Loc clips at the peak of each pole allow you to 'lock' the clip to the poles. The result is a 12 per cent increase in strength
Locking pole tips hold pole in place and won't slip out of the grommets
Swift Clips™ allow you to stake out your tent, then clip the body of the tent to the poles for quick easy set up
Number 8 zippers with noiseless pulls
Reflective pulls are used on Fly zippers
Computer-Aided Design-CAD
Non wicking stake loops and Fly attachments
7 sq. ft. vestibule
Flashlight ring and mesh storage pockets
'U' shaped door
Flame Retardant
Carry bags and stakes included
Import

I get half of what you save.
smile.gif
vis

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-16-2003 22:22: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

TK,
If you are looking for a bag, there is a guy on this board, who will be selling a Down bag in late September. He is taking it to Alaska, and will be wanting to sell the thing upon his return, of course it will still be wet for the next 2 years....
biggrin.gif

Actually, without sounding like a pimp for REI (can I say Pimp?), get in to the nearest store, talke real nice to the Manager, tell him your sad story, and ask him when his next "Garage Sale" is. They have an incredibly liberal return policy, and they take everything back, no questions asked, and then when the back of the store gets too full, they have a Saturday morning sale, before store hours. People camp out over night, to be the first in.
When I bought my Half Dome, I think it was about $100, and there were Clip Flashlights for the same money, or less. You can find sleeping bags for dirt cheap. Everything is Sold "as is", so you need to set everything up, and make sure it is all there....
elkgrin.gif

Heck, it would be worth it to save the money and get a '02. With that extra money I could buy the stove I have been looking at.
biggrin.gif

Looks like the only difference in the two is on the 2003 which has a mesh pocket for the tent door. Go with the 02, it easily rolls up and stays out of the way.

smile.gif
vis

What stove are you looking at? If you don't plan on flying with the stove, then might I suggest the MSR Pocket Rocket. I have a MSR DragonFly, really great stove, burns off of any fuel and I can fly with it. My first stove I ever purchased was a Butane stove, made by Peak 1 (Coleman), and it is a nice one too. It can boil water quicker than the MSR, but I can't fly with it, same as with the Pocket Rocket. If I had to buy another, that would be the one.

smile.gif
vis

Man Ovis, you know all of the gear I like. That is the exact stove I have been checking out for the past few months due to weight and size.
biggrin.gif

Ovis.. I have the Pocket rocket...

JSUt wondering about Cold weather and the Reliability of it then ? I heard conflicting thuoghts on that but have yet to test run it in Extreem cold...

Probably will never be in that situation though, Cold weather likew that is for Animals and FREAKS !!!!

$39.95 on Campmor

You got good taste, but more than that, it looks like you have been doing some homework.

smile.gif
vis

Thanks Ovis, I have been doing my research. That's usually what I do while I'm on the internet. For the PR, do you have to use those little canisters or can I get a bigger one if I wanted to make say a big meal after we got our animals without worrying about running out of fuel.

Yah Moosie, White gas stoves are the most effective stove and can pump out the most heat. The multi-use stove like I have is nice, because I can burn anything from alcohol, to white gas, kerosine, jet fuel, and gasoline. The butane is nice because it isn't as messy or odor forming as the other, but your right it doesn't do well once temps get below freezing. I don't suspect it will be a problem around here during hunting season though.

smile.gif
vis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ovis:
I can burn anything from alcohol, to white gas, kerosine, jet fuel, and gasoline.
smile.gif
vis
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now why would you burn a beer??
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

TK

If I recall correctly, the pocket rocket will work just about on any commercial brand compressed butane canister. You would be suprised how long those little buggers can burn. My best advice to you would be to purchase a canister and then test it out at home. See how many pots of water you can boil, keep track of how much you boil. For a five to seven day trip, and don't think you would need more than two of the small canisters or one of the larger variety. Of course, if you are boiling water three times a day you could need more...but I highly doubt that.

smile.gif
vis

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back