Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Clip Flashlight

That or I could just buy a spare canister. They aren't that expensive and if I didn't use it I would always have it for the following trip.

TK, I think Ovis meant that on a "REAL" backpacking trip Weight and Space are a HUGE issue.. you don't jsut carry "EXTRA" stuff with you. Everything should be calculated out. I know guys that break the ends of toothbrushes and just bring the Bristles becasue of the extra weight.... MY question is Who brings a toothbrush on a hiking trip
wink.gif

I know Moosie, but say I cut back 4 oz. by doing little things like the toothbrush you mentioned, why not take the extra fuel just to be safe and know that you won't run out of fuel 3-5 miles from the truck??

Moosie

I know nothing on the stove you posted, but legally, your gonna have to bring something other than the PR. FAA regs prohibit the use of compressed gases on planes. The one you are looking at looks fine. However, stick with the white gas as often as possible, it burns really clean. If you start using unleaded your gonna have to clean the heck out of that bugger as it will clog on yah.

As far as the toothbrush goes, I bring one. I can't stand having the feeling of a dirty colin.

TK

Purchase 3 small canisters. If you are going to be gone more than three days, I highly recommend you test one canister out to test the burn time. Bring the second canister only if you really need it, if not, save it for the next trip. Easy as that!

smile.gif
vis

Man Ovis, you sure are a smart fella. I would have never thought of buying 3.
biggrin.gif

Ovis, from now on whenever I have a question on gear I'm gonna turn to you since you seem to own, or know everything about the gear I like.
biggrin.gif

TK

You really should bring other foods that don't require cooking. Common sense plays a role in how much fuel you should take, I really think two canisters will be plenty for 5 days. Besides, if you run out of fuel 5 miles from the truck, are you in a life or death situation? I don't think so. If you don't take my advice on bringing other grub, then perhaps a pine cone or bark would suit your appetite til you could get back to the truck
tongue.gif

smile.gif
vis

Elky... HELL, Don't look at me about sving weight, I bring the Camcorder, Camera, tripods, BLOWUP DOLLS
wink.gif
I just meant "REAL" backpackers
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ovis, if you empty out the Canister there is no Regs saying you can't bring it. LEt it Air dry out too. I have heard of people Filling them full of water and Shipping them as well. MAking sure not to Compress it thuogh. Then dump the Water and WALLA !!!! NO harm done....

O nthe toothbrush, I hate the ZACKly's myself.... The Zackly's are when your mouth taste Zackly like your ASS !!!

LOL
biggrin.gif

I know, the only reason I would need to boil water is in the evening for my friend and I to have a hot meal after a long, cold day. For day food/breakfast we were thinking of taking bagels, cheese, salami, and other foods like that, that pack easy and are easy to eat.

Hey Ovis,

Think you should mention to TK, that if he really gets in a bind, he could always build a fire?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

In Alaska, that is not always an option, but in most of the lower 48, it seems like an option in 90% of the times....
elkgrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ovis, if you empty out the Canister there is no Regs saying you can't bring it. LEt it Air dry out too. I have heard of people Filling them full of water and Shipping them as well. MAking sure not to Compress it thuogh. Then dump the Water and WALLA !!!! NO harm done....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was talking about the butane canisters. If you empty them, and fill them with water (which BTW, isn't possible) what the hell are you gonna use to fuel your stove? If this can be done, please let me know how and I will inform the department of energy about this nifty trick. I'll be rich and will have solved the answer to fuel issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>O nthe toothbrush, I hate the ZACKly's myself.... The Zackly's are when your mouth taste Zackly like your ASS !!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Think you should mention to TK, that if he really gets in a bind, he could always build a fire? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or he could eat whatever it was he was bringing cold.

TK

Your scaring me buddy. You sure you should be doing this backpack hunting?

Oscar thats the cooker I use, Normally run it on colemans but have used unleaded, its a hot burning little bastard but not such a good simmerer
smile.gif

Did you catch this thread TK? Edit my list to suit your needs. I have, I don't take near that much food anymore.

Food

smile.gif
vis

Before you jump into the Pocket rocket check out the coleman exponant's new one. Pretty much the same as the pocket rocket but packs up smaller. If your looking for size savings its worth a look. REI does not have the new one in the catalog yet, they just have the older version. I just got one and was comparing it at REI. The coleman can be broken down into such a small package that it fits into the indent in the bottom of a butane cartrige. Perfomance is pretty much the same as the rocket.

I believe it was close to the same price, maybe slightly cheaper. It has just a little soft pouch to store it in. heres some pics
03170003.JPG
03170004.JPG
03170005.JPG

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-17-2003 19:58: Message edited by: schmalts ]</font>

I like how small it is. It also looks really light. I have a few questions though.

Where do I get fuel canisters for it??
How much does the whole thing weigh??
What kind of fuel does it take??
How long does it take to boil water??

Thanks schmalts!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-17-2003 21:12: Message edited by: trophy_killer ]</font>

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back