climbing tree stands

I've used a Summit for over twenty years and I can't see changing. The only problem I every encountered was while attempting a steep angle shot with my bow, I failed to clear the safety rail with my lower limb. The result was a clear miss on what should have been a 10 yard slam dunk. Rookie mistake I guess!

I'm in need of a new climber as well. I figured 18 yrs was enough for any stand to endure, no matter how well maintained.

Been looking, snooping around the stores quietly, mulling it over for awhile now. Given an old man's criteria, such as I am:

1) Safety
2) Stability
3) Weight
4) Cost

I'm just waiting for the preseason sales to hit before I spring for a Summit Viper SD.

I bought mine at Cabela's on sale for 249 99 Summit sdx. Had points on my credit card as a purchase.

My vote is for the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb Wide version. Still weighs in at 21 lbs, and I find it very comfortable. Quiet as ever as long as you know how to pack it up right. Which I will warn can be pretty tricky the first few dark evening packing up. Also carried a hefty price tage but IMO worth the money.

As others have said though, largely depends on what type of hunting you plan to do. Summit is a good option aswell.

My advice would be to go with a hang on stand and lightweight climbing sticks. I had the Sunmit ultimate Viper and it was very comfortable and lightweight. My climber rarely left the basement because it is nearly impossible to find a tree at that perfect ambush spot. If you do find a tree, you will not have any cover around you because you can't climb past the branches. Last season I went to a lightweight hang on stand with climbing sticks. I am not missing my climber one bit.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back