Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cleaning media

BillDoe708

What do you prefer corn cob or walnut and why? I'm running low on corn cob and just curious what everyone else uses

Tried rice. Left a white residue all over the insides of the cases. Had to run them through my pin tumbler to clean them up. mtmuley
Tried regular white rice and got same results. Switched to “hard” white rice from Costco and never looked back
You do have to check the flash holes as some will have some rice stuck in hole.

Tried regular white rice and got same results. Switched to “hard” white rice from Costco and never looked back
You do have to check the flash holes as some will have some rice stuck in hole.
Didn't know this. I will give it a go. mtmuley

I'm with you on this one. Stainless wet tumble.

When I did the standard vibratory cleaning, I seemed to prefer walnut with some Lyman brass cleaner. It did just fine and I didn't really notice any dust.
Nothing cleans cases like a wet stainless tumble. I don't use it all the time but it tunes up really dirty brass to like new. mtmuley

Have used both cob and walnut. I think one cleans as well as the other but cob polish's the brass better! Cob does get caught in the flash hole if you tumble after re-sizing. I normally tumble after sizing. Not a big thing I don't sit down and try to do hundreds of cases at a time.

Nothing cleans cases like a wet stainless tumble. I don't use it all the time but it tunes up really dirty brass to like new. mtmuley
Apparently the cool kid thing to do is wet tumble without pins. I tried it and they weren't as clean so I quit.

I have gotten pins stuck in brass so it does require an extra step to confirm

Apparently the cool kid thing to do is wet tumble without pins. I tried it and they weren't as clean so I quit.

I'm not that cool I guess. I have tumbled thousand of cases of various cartridges both rifle and handgun. mtmuley

I tap the back of each case with a screwdriver handle in order to make sure all of the corncob stuff is out and check the flash holes.

I like tumbling with rice. This rice to be specific. https://www.amazon.com/Nishiki-Prem...a4a978b157eff&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl No issue with white residue.

Have done a lot of wet tumbling with stainless pins too and it works fine. I dont know that I ever saw negative performance impacts that some folks point to. I just find the rice tumbling more convenient and don't care that the brass isn't quite as shiny.

Tried the corn, and found the flash holes had a tendency to get clogged.
went over to walnut and that solved that problem....tumble before bed with the walnut, and stop before breakfast gets the brass looking great!

I use lyman corn cob media. I've been using it for years but I'm really considering wet tumbling. Stainless chips are supposed to work better than pins as far as flash holes and case necks getting plugged up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back