Clean up your crumby keyboard

ELKCHSR

Clean up your crumby keyboard

By Diane Cole

We know computer keyboards weren't designed to double as crumb-catchers. And our kids never meant to smear peanut butter in the spaces between keys. We asked Sandy Berger, computer expert and host of the website compukiss.com, to step us through a keyboard spring cleaning.

1 Turn upside down and shake. Periodically take a minute to gently shake loose crumbs or other specks lodged between keys. If deeper cleaning is needed, unplug the keyboard and proceed to the next steps.

2 Blow and dry. Buy a can of compressed air ($7 for 10 ounces at CompUSA) and blast into the crevices. (A wee vacuum costs $12 and up and may not dislodge gook as well.) To remove smears, wipe with a cloth dampened with water or with a mild cleanser like Windex.

3 Unstick 'em up. If a sticky spill or an enormous crumb has gummed up the keys, pop up the key caps with a flat-head screwdriver (but keep in mind, large key caps like the space bar can be hard to reattach). Clean around the stubs with a moist cotton swab, then snap the cap back on.

4 Disaster relief. As the last resort after a devastating spill, put the (unplugged) keyboard under the shower, then dry well. Otherwise, let your fingers do the walking to a new model. Grandtec's "virtually indestructible" $35 keyboard--made of silicon--laughs at spills and rolls up like a doormat for crumb ejection.

Boy after tapping that out there might have been a wee bit of dust in there. *cough *cough

Don't you get a New Keyboard each year when YOU buy a new computer ?!?!?! Just use the New Keyboard for christ sake !!! :D

lol thnaks elk i keep this mine needs cleaning now i know how i need bib so messy some of its hubbys :D this shoulda been in the ladys section lol

Rubbing alcohol also works if you are just going to surface clean. But dont use it on a washcloth, use cotton balls or a q-tip... one ofr every key, it keeps the spreading down to a minimum! Cotton balls are best for the surface of the keys, and q-tips are great for in between them.

OL

Or here's a very smart idea......don't eat around your computer. Not only do crumbs get in the keyboard but you could splatter juices from your food on the screen, which could be hard to clean as well.
Or get a plasitc cover deal to go over the keyboard, I think that would be the Grandtec's "virtually indestructible" $35 keyboard thing.
Quick Draw

I have an even better idea than doing all that stuff. Just go out and buy a brand new system solves everything :D :D . No more crumbs. hump :D :p
Quick Draw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back