Chrono for Factory Load Verification

roberte65

Hey all,

Limited budget ($200 or less).

Need something to capture data and compare against what's on the back of the box. No plans to start reloading in the future. Just need to get data for ballistics chart and Leupold custom dials. Also will use for arrows.

Looks like Caldwell or Competition Electronics are two inexpensive options. Though the Comp Electronics doesnt seem to be able to display data on your phone (Irrelevant if I can just manually record muzzle velocities in a notepad)

Thoughts?

Hey all,

Need something to capture data and compare against what's on the back of the box. No plans to start reloading in the future. Just need to get data for ballistics chart and Leupold custom dials. Also will use for arrows.

Looks like Caldwell or Competition Electronics are two inexpensive options. Though the Comp Electronics doesnt seem to be able to display data on your phone (Irrelevant if I can just manually record muzzle velocities in a notepad)

Thoughts?
I have a Caldwell I would let go of. I upgraded and now it just sits in the closet.

If your plan is to just shoot over a chrono on a rare event...maybe see if can borrow someone's

I had 2 different Caldwells...sold one and it worked pretty ok and the other was sacrificed to the round bin because I got enough read errors that it approached comical (probably user error).

A roll of butcher paper and 10rounds of ammo will get you the info you need for a CDS/ballistics solution...

Hey all,

Thoughts?
Honestly I chronographed mine last year, but found that ultimately I had to change my velocity # in my ballistic app in order to make my adjustments match what i was seeing on paper.

Honestly I chronographed mine last year, but found that ultimately I had to change my velocity # in my ballistic app in order to make my adjustments match what i was seeing on paper.
Yep. That happens. Shoot for info. The only way to be sure. Sometimes numbers need to be adjusted. mtmuley

Yep. That happens. Shoot for info. The only way to be sure. Sometimes numbers need to be adjusted. mtmuley
Yep, the data and programs are good but it still like horse shoes and hand grenades. It will get you close but you still need to shoot it to know for sure.

I’ve been using a Caldwell for about 5 years and love it. Would buy it again, if I was starting over.

Only problem with the magnetospeed is if mounting it to your barrel it definitely affects POI and groups.
It’s good if you’re mainly wanting velocities. Pull it to shoot groups.

Or, as I did, buy an adapter from Weiser that attaches to your front sling stud via picatinny adapter. That gets it off the barrel and won’t effect poi or harmonics.

AA7FC144-DFF4-40E3-9556-73F7F595B4FA.png
671FC891-5054-4823-89D3-B23341B43986.png

But that would put you over your $200.

For the cost I would still go with the Magnetospeed Sporter. Nice not to have to deal with some of the issues with light based chronos.

Competition Electronics does allow you to have data displayed on your phone. I use a ProChrono DLX and connect to it with my phone via Bluetooth using their app. It allows you to track and organize each shot string. It also saves your data so you can go back and review it later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back