Caribou Gear

Christmas ideas for Nashville?

Dave N

Taking the wife for a Christmas trip to Nashville. Getting there this Saturday and heading for home next Tuesday. We're "hoping" to try out Hattie B's hot chicken Saturday night. Dinner Sunday night at B.B. King's Blues Club and a lunchtime cruise Christmas Day on the General Jackson. Anyone from around Nashville that can offer any suggestions on activities going on that we should look into? Yes, I know there is a Bass Pro Shop in town! Heading up to Bowling Green on the way home Tuesday to check out the Cabela's there.

Thanks!

I highly recommend making a stop at Five Daughters Bakery in 12 South. Best donuts I've ever had. Also, I'd spend atleast a half day walking around the 12 South neighborhood as there are lots shops & restaurants there. Reese Witherspoon has one of her stores (Draper James) there which my wife says is a big deal.

I haven't been, but my friends love The Patterson House. It's a trendy/upscale bar. If that's your scene it should be fun.

Last edited:
The Opryland Hotel is worth going to and walking around. Huge indoor atrium. Always decorated for Christmas and its right next to BPS, so double win.

Tons of History around there: Hermitage, Belle Mead and Belmont

Country Music: Ryamn, Grand Old Opry, Country Music HOF, downtown music scene, Johnny Cash Museum.

Cheekwood Botantical Gardens is nice.

State museum is really cool, even focus on history of the state (not just civil war.)

for BBQ I liked Jim and Nicks or Hog Heaven.

The Opryland Hotel is worth going to and walking around. Huge indoor atrium. Always decorated for Christmas and its right next to BPS, so double win.

Tons of History around there: Hermitage, Belle Mead and Belmont

Country Music: Ryamn, Grand Old Opry, Country Music HOF, downtown music scene, Johnny Cash Museum.

Cheekwood Botantical Gardens is nice.

State museum is really cool, even focus on history of the state (not just civil war.)

for BBQ I liked Jim and Nicks or Hog Heaven.

I second the Opryland Hotel. It is always decorated beautifully for Christmas. If it was warmer I would suggest going down towards Franklin and looking at the Carnton Plantation, a civil war site. On your way through Bowling Green you could stop and look at the National Corvette Museum. There's normally some pretty cool cars on display. You never know who's car will be there since some of the cars are on loan from the owners.

My dad was a Tennessee State Representative for 20 years and the Commissioner of Conservation for 4 years so I spent some time in Nashville... The State Museum is pretty awesome and even the State Capitol building is an interesting tour (the architect is buried in the walls). Andrew Jackson's home (The Hermitage) is pretty cool as well. If you have the time you should head down to Shiloh where the famous battle occurred. It is about 2 hours away total, I think. Montgomery Bell State Park is beautiful and I hear the country music strip downtown is pretty cool if you are into that sort of thing. Make sure you hit a BBQ joint. I'm from Memphis so I'm a BBQ snob but if you see a place called Corky's you won't regret the ribs or the BBQ nachos. Message me if you are able to get to any of these places, I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks for the tips. Had looked into some of them, we'll have to see just what is open or not for Christmas. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and this rain won't be ice anywhere on the way down!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

General Lee.jpg

How could a gearhead resist this one? Stopped at Cooter's Garage for a bit. Made our youngest daughter VERY jealous! Went next door to the Willie Nelson museum, went across the street to the Opryland Hotel and walked for MILES looking at things. The Hermitage was very interesting. Lots of history there. Stopped at the Grand Ole Opry which was closed and looked around. Went to the Johnny Cash Museum, the Parthenon, and Bass Pro shop. Hattie B's hot chicken was a hit for me, had lunch at the Hard Rock, ribs at B.B. King's Blues Club, a burger at Stax inside the Opryland Hotel, and a nice Christmas lunch on the General Jackson showboat.

Had a good time overall. Weather wasn't too bad, even had a few snowflakes Christmas Eve. Headed home through Kentucky so we could add 2 more Cabela's stores to the list of ones we have been to. Thanks for the suggestions, we went to a few and I'm sure I forgot a few stops we made in town besides the ones I mentioned.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back