Christmas Goose hunting

Nemont

Spent a couple of days chasing geese, big surprise for this forum, right.

Got a couple of couple of pluckers to add to the Christmas menu.

20162_zpstaplrvo2.jpg

20164_zps9n7xrsmt.jpg

20168_zpss5da6o0l.jpg

2016_zpshqxtsoh4.jpg

20163_zpsgkfkyacj.jpg

Another Trophy for a lucky hunter
20166_zps2qmxuebm.jpg

Do you have any idea of what's going on with that last goose? I have a taxidermy business and a good client brought me one almost identical to that one he shot in Canada last year. He says he thinks it's a snow/Canada hybrid but I think it's a Canada with a pigment issue. Did make a cool mount though.

Nemont, So I am getting more into this goose hunting thing. I bought a dozen Higdon 3/4 shells the other day and am looking at getting some more as they are on sale. What are your thoughts on how important those full body decoys are compared to Higdon wobblers? I hunt near home a lot by myself and am attracted to the portability of more of the shells. I can get more of these ones that move, or for less I can get Bigfoot shells that sit on the ground. Both are far more realistic that the old non-flocked shells I borrowed this year.

Attachments

• 71225-2T.jpg
    71225-2T.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 71226-2T.jpg
    71226-2T.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Nemont - GREAT job on another highly successful couple of days in the field. Looks like a blast!

*Any chance you'd share your decoy pattern w/ the group? We have a pile of birds over here by Great Falls right now, but we only have 4 for our limit.

Schmalts,

Those decoys will be just fine. Here is my thoughts on decoys, decoys are only as good as your ability to hide. Put more money into good blinds, snow covers, face masks and camo. Any of todays quality shells and those shells on stakes will kill geese.

Bugle,

Decoy patterns are a real argument starter in our group and we all think we are experts. :D. Anyway on days with little wind I like to set them in a big X so there are multiple kill holes. If it is a steady windy and you know it will blow that direction all morning. I like a J pattern with the blinds set around the bend in the J.

Lots of times we see how the first birds react to the decoys. Don't call, don't flag just sit tight and watch. If they will decoy without any additional coaxing why work harder?

Also make sure the guys who move their heads a lot to see the geese try to scan with their eyes rather than bobbing their head around.

Just my 2cents

Nemont

Last edited:
Do you have any idea of what's going on with that last goose? I have a taxidermy business and a good client brought me one almost identical to that one he shot in Canada last year. He says he thinks it's a snow/Canada hybrid but I think it's a Canada with a pigment issue. Did make a cool mount though.

We always called them Quill Lakes Geese or Quills for short. We have killed several of them over the years. I think it is just a genetic mutation.

photo1_zpsfa9e3203.jpg

Glasgow-20111218-00142.jpg

PB181240.jpg

quills2_zpsmkesx7yd.jpg

Nemont

I saw one of those dam things when we were out - buddy thought it was blue, I said no way.
But went with it. My answer!

Rockin' post Nemont!!! WOW!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back