Choosing your GPS unit.

Can't decide which GPS unit to get? Well we did some of the work for you.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/blog/best-top-5-gps-units-2015/#.VOYeG_nF9nM

Our latest blog post compares the top 5 GPS units and staff favorites.

Check it out and feel free to send us any questions you may have. Start now and be more prepared for the fall.

I have a question...maybe there is a simple answer for this. I know the Google Earth versions are not available anymore. When they were...it was easy to put placemarks in GE then use a conversion program to get them into Basemap to upload to the GPS...and vice versa when you came back from a hunt and downloaded your tracks and made a route out of them and brought them back into GE. Now with this new viewer coming out how will this process work...will you be able to do something similar? It's a lot easier to put placemarks in GE when you have imagery...then putting them in Basemap that doesn't have it...unless you buy the BirdsEye images, which I don't think I want to do the additional cost of that.

Maybe a stupid question, but why would anyone want a touch screen GPS for hunting?

Thanks, I was just doing some research and pretty much settled on the Montana, partly because of the battery aspect, but also the geotagged photos, and the ability to use a microSD for storage, making it easier while documenting, especially if you dont have the ability to upload and clear each day for a multiple day or longer trip.

Thank you OnX Maps! I was in the process of doing my own research when this thread appeared. I went ahead and bought the Garmin GPSMap 64S. Thank you for making this easy!

why buy a gps??? smartphones in standalone GPS mode work just as good, thank the e911 law that requires it. last 2 years its all i have used and it has worked perfect including in backcountry with zero reception! they have better cameras and hundreds of more features and you already have one. plus when in reception you can add maps or satellite images for get this...free. the OnX maps is even cheaper also if you want it on your phone $30 vs $100 for chip. there is a few benefits of a standalone GPS unit but none justify the expensive any more

why buy a gps??? smartphones in standalone GPS mode work just as good, thank the e911 law that requires it. last 2 years its all i have used and it has worked perfect including in backcountry with zero reception! they have better cameras and hundreds of more features and you already have one. plus when in reception you can add maps or satellite images for get this...free. the OnX maps is even cheaper also if you want it on your phone $30 vs $100 for chip. there is a few benefits of a standalone GPS unit but none justify the expensive any more

Maybe your phone has a replaceable battery, making the battery life not a concern. Mine does not. Thus, a phone without a replaceable battery has a very limited useful life on my backcountry hunts where charging is not an option. And, my phone is not nearly as waterproof, dirtproof, bombproof, as my GPS, even with an Otterbox.

Maybe your phone has a replaceable battery, making the battery life not a concern. Mine does not. Thus, a phone without a replaceable battery has a very limited useful life on my backcountry hunts where charging is not an option. And, my phone is not nearly as waterproof, dirtproof, bombproof, as my GPS, even with an Otterbox.

Dito. If they get cold, they will shut down. "Trust Me" I need to make a inside pocket for my phone. when I carry it. The option , of carrying the phone, for back up is a good one.

Thank you OnX Maps! I was in the process of doing my own research when this thread appeared. I went ahead and bought the Garmin GPSMap 64S. Thank you for making this easy!

wdkrings, how do you like the 64S? I'm new to the GPS game, but this is one I have been looking at.

Nrpate05 - I ordered it yesterday. I have an Etrex Vista that I love, but it is old and starting to throw errors. The positive: It has 36 hours of battery life and a color screen. The negative: The direction settings stopped working and in unfamiliar areas, I didn't know how to stay on public lands. I'll let you know what I think of the 64S.

I also have GPS software on my phone, but I wouldn't trust my phone on a 10 day Alaskan river trip, 5 days in the mountains elk hunting, or anywhere I was worried about battery life. GPS is a must in my opinion.

This is like some Instagram and FB pages....the OP posts, then doesn't interact anymore with the thread...we get to stay confused and conflicted amongst ourselves.

idfishnhunt,

In our viewer program you will be able to upload and download waypoints to your various devices and be able to manage them within viewer in the content section. I hope this answers your questions, if not please send us an email at [email protected] or give us a call at 406-540-1602 and we'd be happy to walk you through the process.

Jwill,

The touch units usually have a bigger screen so you can really see your map. Lots of folks with poor vision like the bigger screens.

ccc23454,

Like others have said, batteries and durability are the advantages of having a GPS instead of just a phone.

Remember everyone, with all this technology that we take into the field, a compass and map are both light, and will never run out of power. We always pack those two items in our kits for emergencies.

idfishnhunt,

In our viewer program you will be able to upload and download waypoints to your various devices and be able to manage them within viewer in the content section. I hope this answers your questions, if not please send us an email at [email protected] or give us a call at 406-540-1602 and we'd be happy to walk you through the process.

Jwill,

The touch units usually have a bigger screen so you can really see your map. Lots of folks with poor vision like the bigger screens.

ccc23454,

Like others have said, batteries and durability are the advantages of having a GPS instead of just a phone.

Remember everyone, with all this technology that we take into the field, a compass and map are both light, and will never run out of power. We always pack those two items in our kits for emergencies.

Thanks...can't wait to try out the new viewer, when will the final be ready?

idfishnhunt,

Our Viewer is still in the BETA testing process. We are working out the bugs, unfortunately I can't give you a specific data yet. Keep checking back on our site, we will have news about it there.

For those following this thread we are allowing Beta testing of the Viewer. If you have an App membership visit.

my.onxmaps.com and login with your App membership to test the Beta Version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back