Choosing your GPS unit.

I couldn't resist the cat piece.

I agree with you whole-heartedly roadhunter in that I cannot wait for the day that I can take a single piece of technology into the field that provides me with all of the technological functions of a smart phone as well as the bomb-proofness of a GPS unit. It's just a matter of time until we can get our claws on one communication/technological/mapping/GPS unit that will rule them all...

It's pretty impressive how onXmaps has so single-handedly changed the hunting industry.
-Cody

Finally pulled the trigger on a 64s and onXmaps chip thanks to this thread. Mark one more for the folks at Hunt Talk.

OK 2x3 or whatever an Iphone is. You're still picking tiles from the phone, which I'm not doing.
My peeve isn't clarity, it's the content and how it gets to the devise.

64_zps228bce9b.png

140_zps328364e6.png

Well an Iphone is the first problem....Picking tiles? I am not following you. I load a broad area into my phone before my trip and any tiles so to speak come up on the screen automatically depending on location. No different than the garmin. I can create waypoints right off the screen from either my current location on the map or tap another area and create it there instead. Full navigation screen With Compass and a full stat screen. I bet if I could show you my device for 20 minutes in the field you would change your mind.

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading the article, but I have also converted to the cell phone for all around use.

To address comments of cold weather/durability etc, I use my phone for ice fishing navigation, winter hiking and all my deer hunting in MN. My old phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4 in an Otterbox. I never had a single problem maintaining battery through an entire day, usually less than half the battery was used. I leave my GPS on during my entire hunt/hike and never had a problem. I used it throughout my trip in Yellowstone last summer and turkey hunting in Nebraska. i recently upgraded to a Note 4 which survived deer hunting and a weeklong cow elk hunt in NM in January. The Note4 is nice with the stylus for screen use so I don't have to deglove to use the touchscreen. I downloaded the OnX basemap since I didn't want to purchse the NM maps since I was hunting a ranch, but my cell did just fine and tracked my 3-8 miles every day. I have no durability concerns. Maybe if I was hunting coastal NW or Alaska, but then again the Galaxy S5 has the same waterproof ratings as a GPS.

I also used my phone as a GPS map using the OnXMaps app when I spent 3 days solo canoeing the Boundary Waters. I could've gone all 3 days without a charge I think. The app worked awesome. I spent about 10 mins loading the map tiles I wanted while at home on WIFI and the rest was history. Because its a Samsung I had a huge screen and expandable memory. The treks and trails map was awesome and showed all the portages and lake depths.

What I use to maintain battery is a solar panel and battery pack from Goal Zero. The Guide 10 pack provides a bettery charger for AA and AAA batteries and the batteries in the charger serve as a power storage pack. I lay the solar panel on the top of my pack and its fully charged before lunch. It would be great for anyone, even GPS owners. I highly recommend it. http://www.goalzero.com/p/79/guide-10-plus-solar-kit/24:1/

A key to prolonging battery life is to put your phone in airplane mode. It turns it into a touch screen color GPS with more capability. My "flimsy" phone is thinner and lighter than a GPS and something I already own. I have a heavy duty case and insurance on it and I always carry a map and compass that I mark up as I go, but my phone has replaced my GPS many years ago. I have two GPS laying in the garage that I see I should put up for sale, because there is clearly a market.

I have to agree with the guy that said I could show you the upside of the GPS in less than a half hour. I was floored at how easy it is and no need for another standalone unit.

Last edited:
I am starting to see the point of the guys that use their phones for GPS purposes. For me, I will continue to use my current GPS but when the time comes I probably will not buy a new GPS to replace the old one.

Great discussion here everyone! It's really cool to see how topics can change on forums, things can go an entirely different direction. This is great info that all of you are having good experiences with your phones.

Epfd217,

Nice little Boundary Waters story. I was up there several years ago before we were around. Really neat experience and thanks for sharing. And good tips on the Goal Zero. I know there are many different devices that allow you to charge in the field.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back