Chief Joseph - who, what, and when.

Straight Arrow

Another very interesting battlefield is less travelled and a bit out of the way near Chinook, MT. Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce proclaimed "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever" at this site now the Nez Perce National Historic Park, the Bear Paw Battlefield. The park includes a trail with informative placards which allows one to hike the battlefield and get a very close perspective of where each group and some individuals fought the battle. This battle which ended the Nez Perce flight across Yellowstone and much of Montana in 1877, not that long after the battle of Greasy Grass (Custer's defeat) culminated a Nez Perce era replete with fascinating stories of large group travel, Yellowstone encounters, strategy, resourcefulness, and sadly, diminished hope for the Nez Perce.

It's well worth the side trip for anyone travelling the Highline.

Where I board my horses and often ride along the Clarks Fork is smack dab part of the New Perce Trail. There are a couple of signs along the path that details their journey. There are times when riding that I reflect on their journey and their hope to make it to Canada.

There is a group of Appaloosa horse owners who ride a different portion of the trail each year. A few years ago, they were riding in this part of Montana.

Theirs is a fascinating story,I hunt where they hunted and have followed the trail from the Wallowa valley down to Dug Bar. To see where they traveled to escape the Army is breathtaking. Incredible story.

I recently had the opportunity to learn more about the flight of 1877 with a handful of Nez Perce leaders and active duty US Army officers - a very engaging discussion. Despite a troubled and complex history, the mutual respect and sincere friendships that exist today between many senior Army officers and Nez Perce leaders is an encouraging and wonderful tribute to both the uniformed military leaders and tribal leaders within the US.

Not part of this story or their flight, but an interesting side note; Chief Joseph wound up on the Colville reservation in this older years, about 2 miles from my Great Grandmother parents homestead NW of Davenport Washington. He gave her more than one ride home from school in his wagon, "a very nice man" she told me herself.

I have been chewing on the idea of a Hi-Line antelope hunt in the future, where I would mix hunting with exploring things like those posted here. So thanks for sharing, hopefully I can make a the trip happen sometime.

Man, I sure loathe Lewis and Clark and Sacagewea statues. They seem to be all the same. Here’s the one in Charlottesville that’s even worse but similarly posed:
View attachment 186967
🤮
Apologies for the digression.
I do not loathe any of the Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea statues. I am grateful to all of them for their contributions in making America the greatest country ever on planet Earth. Also, a special thanks to President Jefferson for commissioning the Corps of Discovery and their contributions to our way of life. USA #1.

I do not loathe any of the Lewis and Clark and Sacagawea statues. I am grateful to all of them for their contributions in making America the greatest country ever on planet Earth. Also, a special thanks to President Jefferson for commissioning the Corps of Discovery and their contributions to our way of life. USA #1.
I was very specific in my focus on the statues, was I not? And am very specific on people and statues of people not being the same.

An interesting story to go with that is: A tough trip through paradice by Andrew Garcia. He relays story of the the trip and the battle of the Big Hole through his Nez Perce wife's eyes. The story is the latter half of the book but the whole book gives insight into teepee creeping in the 1800s. Why he lived through the Blackfeet is a miracle.

If you ever had the chance to hoist a few there when Jimmy Halseth was the owner you probably have a story to tell
I did and he told me a story about my grandfather, owner of the Turner General Store and Farm equipment dealership during the depression. I purchased his book about the early day Blaine County ranches and gave it to my dad & mom, who were born and raised in Turner. My grandpa is mentioned in the book.

Wish I had returned to hear more of his tales.

hope to make it there someday. Wife and I stopped at the Big Hole battle monument near Wisdom a couple years ago, which is definitely worth a visit. What a tragic battle that was.

Anyone interested in learning more about the long flight of the Nez Perce ought to pick up a copy of "Yellow Wolf: His Own Story" by L.V. McWhorter.

I’ll never understand why the USArmy didn’t just let them leave and go to canada

If you see how slow General Howard’s pursuit was, I believe you could postulate that he was doing just that.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back