MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Chest Waders for Waterfowl

RyeGuy74

I am new to waterfowl hunting and with that I am looking for chest waders. I was just wondering what everyone recommends. I don't mind paying more for quality but at the same time, I don't want to pay $300+ for a pair if they'll rip or become unusable just as easy as a cheaper pair. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I am new to waterfowl hunting and with that I am looking for chest waders. I was just wondering what everyone recommends. I don't mind paying more for quality but at the same time, I don't want to pay $300+ for a pair if they'll rip or become unusable just as easy as a cheaper pair. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Let me know when you figure it out. I've yet to have a pair go an entire season without a leak.

I have struggled with this one. I am an avid Buy American guy but respect basic finances. For warmer weather I could not afford Simms. So I bought USIA waders. They are super tough and have worked great for warm weather fishing and early season hunting. For late season at least here in MT I want neoprene 3.5 to 5 mils thick. I have not found an American made one. Also I want armoring on the knees for cut resistance when walking and jump shooting. I regularly hunt in temps below zero and nothing works like neoprene but you will sweat on long walks jump shooting! Buy what fits and they will last 3-5 years depending on the action. I used stocking foot waders for many years but they suck when you are changing in and out of waders at below freezing temps!

Neoprene will make you sweat even in the Bering Sea.
I've used breathable but stocking foots suck.
I'm a cheapskate and bargain hunter who finds and uses gear from swapmeets/flea markets. However, I bit the bullet and bought the Sitka breathable with zippered front and going into the 2nd season now.
I guide for 60 straight days every December and January in the hot desert near the Mexican border and just used them on Kodiak.
No regrets. Price tag is tough to swallow but worth it.
20211028_154605.jpg20200130_151911.jpg

I got into waterfowl last year. I used a pair of Hisea neoprene waders I got off Amazon. They worked, but I found I wanted breathable waders. After some research, I went with High n Dry. So far so good, but ask me again at the end of this season and (hopefully) next season. If I could have swallowed the price, I would have done Sitka. I probably will if/when my current waders fail.

I can't recommend any particular brand, I'm real lucky if I get 2 seasons out of any of them, and that usually requires some repairs (I have not tried Simms). But I do a lot of hunting, and walking through some brushy areas. Basic question is how much walking you expect to do vs how much standing in water (and how deep)? I do a lot of walking so i always buy breathable. But i have a pair of neoprene also that I occasionally use when I foresee standing in cold water. If you are hunting big water you could also argue that neoprene provides some safety factor since they provide some degree of flotation and insulation in an emergency.

Regarding breathable waders, I try to get ones that have the leg seams on the outer leg, if the seams run down from your crotch to the boot they seem to quickly wear out due to rubbing against one another.

Last edited:
I use a plain neoprene 3 or 5mm ya they are warm and you will sweat a bit but back when I used to trap hard I could get a few season out of a $80 pair. Now the trick witg these is by the stocking foot ones and step into a pair of cheap rubber boots. Most of the time when I had leak was in the boot. Can repair the neoprene but repairing the boot is hard

I have tried multiple brands, unless you are very careful they are going to tear eventually.

I've been on the cheap 3-5mm neoprene waders bandwagon for a while. I always get about 3-4 years out of a pair of waders before getting slow leaks. Still think I will keep going that direction, but the sims or sitka waders are starting to look appealing. Could always fall back on the cheaper neoprene waders if the expensive ones had to be sent in. But so far I haven't bit the bullet yet. Something about buying $1000 waders, and then worrying about how I would typically use them.

I just bit the bullet and finally bought the sitka waders. First piece of sitka gear I'll have so I'm going to officially own the rainbow as I own kuiu, badlands, first lite in other garments. I'll be able to give a good review as I hunt from 80 degrees to 0 degrees and do a lot of walking in my waders, especially through thick stuff that often rips waders. What convinced me to buy was the warranty against leaks at the zipper and seams.

I typically get 1 to 2 years from a pair. Doesn't matter if they are cheap 80 dollar rubber ones or 400 dollar neoprene. My goal here is to hopefully have reliable ones for 4 to 5 years at a high comfort level.

Neoprene will make you sweat even in the Bering Sea.
I've used breathable but stocking foots suck.
I'm a cheapskate and bargain hunter who finds and uses gear from swapmeets/flea markets. However, I bit the bullet and bought the Sitka breathable with zippered front and going into the 2nd season now.
I guide for 60 straight days every December and January in the hot desert near the Mexican border and just used them on Kodiak.
No regrets. Price tag is tough to swallow but worth it.

I used to buy a set of waders and seemed like I was buying a new set every year. I bit the bullet a few years ago and got a pair of Sitkas, and havent had a problem with them. I’ll be money ahead if they go another season.

I used to buy a set of waders and seemed like I was buying a new set every year. I bit the bullet a few years ago and got a pair of Sitkas, and havent had a problem with them. I’ll be money ahead if they go another season.
I'm hoping for same results! Fingers crossed.

typically get 1 to 2 years from a pair. Doesn't matter if they are cheap 80 dollar rubber ones or 400 dollar neoprene. My goal here is to hopefully have reliable ones for 4 to 5 years at a high comfort level.
Same here, I hope they work out for you. I'm so tired of waders leaking doesn't seem to matter what brand or style. If I get a full season out of then I'm lucky and the repair kits never seem to last more than a few days.

Same here, I hope they work out for you. I'm so tired of waders leaking doesn't seem to matter what brand or style. If I get a full season out of then I'm lucky and the repair kits never seem to last more than a few days.
My repair kit is vulkum. Works great but requires about 2 weeks to dry well

DU Blue Bill neoprene waders are a pretty good deal if you’re in a cool weather environment.

Buy a reasonably priced set of waders and get some aqua seal. You will need it at some point regardless. I’ve got a pair of boot foot neoprenes that must be 15 years old at this point that were on clearance way back when because they’re huge. I’m 6 foot and they’re still way too tall and baggy for me. They’re patched up like crazy from jump shooting, crossing barbed wire fences etc…I’ve had to repair a couple shoulder strap clips…

I really should buy a new pair, moneys not even the issue, I just can’t make myself do it when I don’t hunt waterfowl as much as I used to and I know I can keep doing cheap repairs and keep on trucking.

I've used Tidwe neoprene for the last few seasons. No leaks yet. I hunt cattail sloughs so not a ton of stuff for them to snag on. My next pair, I will try on before I buy, as the boots on these are way too big for me. I should have returned them for a smaller size. I have a friend who got the Rogers breathable with the zip out liner and he loves them.

Cabelas have always worked for me. I've tried on different brands, but none were very comfortable. Been hunting with Cabelas gear for 15 years with no issues other than normal wear and tear. I bought my first pair of waders before they merged with Bass Pro. My second pair I bought a few years ago after they got their quality issues sorted out. I think they were only $250. I wouldn't spend much more than that for waders. Not sure what they're going for these days. I like lightweight waders, I get way too hot in neoprene.

First impressions on the new sitkas

1) super comfy. Fit is great and goretex fabric is super flexible. Full range of motion in everything I did. Certainly not used to that with waders

2) insulated boots were fantastic. I stood in thigh deep water that was probably 40 degrees and only had one pair of good merino socks on. Feet never got cold, maybe even a little too warm when moving around.

3) my thighs were freezing. I just had long underwear on. A very good pair but it wasn't enough. Need to wear a good solid pant in addition for those cold mornings. It was 28 degrees at launch.

4) the suspender latch is amazing. I didn't thunk much of that feature but LOVE IT!

5) the two zippered front pockets and hand warmer pockets performed as expected. They are super high on the waders rather than just above waist. I wasn't so sure about that fact but didn't mind it. I can see the benefit if I was standing in waist deep water.

I wear breathable stocking feet (Simms Freestone Toray Stocking-Foot Waders for Men) $250.
I like these because I hunt out of a remote camp and I turn them inside out once back in camp.
They are dry by the next morning.

For super cold Alaska hunts, I wear a cheap pair of breathable bootfoot size 15 waders with
a pair of neoprene stocking foot hippers inside them. Once again, back at camp I turn the
neoprene hip waders inside out to dry by the next morning. If is is super cold,
the neoprene stocking foot hip waders spend the night in my sleeping bag and I
put a couple chemical hand warmers in the boot foot waders while I'm getting ready with the boat.
cold_sept.JPG

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back