Chest freezer

I can see that sucking.
We put the sticker on there as a joke but it did seemed to "ranger proof" the freezer. I doubt the bears ever even read the darned thing...
Yeah the one who came through and jacked us up seemed to be on a bit of power trip. We should've put a sticker on ours lol.

i have been using 1 or 2,, 7 cubic ft chest freezers from home depot for my hunting trips,,depending on how many tags im filling,,will take 1 freezer for 1 elk if quarters are still bone in,with excecption of deboning backstraps,tends,and neck meat,,you might be able to get more in if you fully debone,,one time i was able to fit 3 antelopes and 1 deer in one 7 cu ft is way to go.btw ive been doing this for over 10 years now and niether of my cheap freezers have failed yet from bouncing around

is there a really good reason to haul freezers around for hunting? i must be ignorant to something.

i struggle to see the benefit of that over just using 100 dollar coolers from walmart with ice and dry ice if you want it frozen

is there a really good reason to haul freezers around for hunting? i must be ignorant to something.

i struggle to see the benefit of that over just using 100 dollar coolers from walmart with ice and dry ice if you want it frozen
Imo coolers are the way to go after using both. When I look back I feel bad being that guy running a generator at the trailhead to keep the cooler powered. Now I take a Grizzly 400 cooler and a 165. Gear gets hauled in the 400 until meat goes in it.

Couldn't agree more always cracks me up to see guys bring half their home with them. Over time I've definitely gone the less is more route. I've kept meat frozen for over 2 weeks with minimal effort using a 150qt Coleman or igloo and dry ice.

for under $200 each,ive come home from many a out of state hunts with freezers full,,i use them to hold gear,food and misc untill i gotta reload them and turn them on for the ride home,,seems more convienient than buying- finding ice in the middle of no where.ya got it at the ready for hunting in hot weather and cooling a antelope in a hurry,i usually only take 1,,but i have taken 2 at times when there are multiple tags to be filled.this year with 3 elk tags and 2 wyoming antelope tags ill be taking 2 freezers,,with the solar on my trailer roof,i can run 2 freezers for virtually free if needed.

Guess me asking a general question was a mistake.
More detail. I’m elk hunting 1st rifle out of a cabin in town with the wife and a couple buddies.
The wife and I are going to Las Vegas after the hunt for 5 days after the hunt. If the processor can’t or won’t hold on to the meat, I need a way to keep it frozen. The folks at the cabin will let me park the trailer with the freezer they’re plugged in.
Wish Vegas wasn’t part of the trip, but it is, so I have to deal with it.

if you're going the distance and gonna be out 2 weeks I could see how it would be just as easy to throw a small $200 deep freezer and a little generator in the bed of the truck as opposed to a $250 cooler and 6 frozen gallon jugs of water and having to stop to get dry ice even once during the trip.
and you never have to deal with having 6 gallons of dirty old water laying around when they thaw out.

if you're going the distance and gonna be out 2 weeks I could see how it would be just as easy to throw a small $200 deep freezer and a little generator in the bed of the truck as opposed to a $250 cooler and 6 frozen gallon jugs of water and having to stop to get dry ice even once during the trip.
and you never have to deal with having 6 gallons of dirty old water laying around when they thaw out.

Yeesh who spends 250 on a cooler?

Last November I brought 5 deboned huge 3 gal bags of elk back to Florida. They easily fit in my 160 qt Yeti cooler. Put in 88lbs of dry ice, closed it all up and never impend in for 4 days (the trip back, 2600 miles). When I opened it up, I still had about 10-15lbs of dry ice left that I threw into my pool. Nothing thawed. You do have to vent the Yeti a little so it doesn't "blow up" from the expanding carbon dioxide in the thawing dry ice. I also brought along a 5cuft freezer under the camper top. I did use the freezer up in Montana where I was staying, because I basically continued to hunt for 10 days after picking the elk up from the butcher. They both came in handy. I realized that keeping a generator working on the hitch haul would be a total pain in the ass and maybe the generator would shut off driving at 70mph. Good luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back