Chest freezer

elkhnter

Tried the search, but didn’t find an answer.
For you guys that haul a chest freezer, what size do I need?
I can bone out if needed.

Sounds like a question Jeffrey Dahmer would ask. LOL. Saw someone hauling one of those small ones. Seems that would work for an elk…if that is what you are asking about. Two would be iffy.

Tried the search, but didn’t find an answer.
For you guys that haul a chest freezer, what size do I need?
I can bone out if needed.
Don't know where you plan on hunting but in a place that you need your stuff in a bear proff container a chest freezer is not considered bear safe. No matter what you do to it.

The little ones work I’ve put quarters in it lid wouldn’t shut all the way just threw a sleeping bag over it and ratcheted it on elk was froze when I got home was 96 the whole way

I ruined a chest freezer hauling it and a generator in my utility trailer. I found out later that all the bouncing can cause the compressor to lock up.

Dry ice is a really good option as well.

When we moved I didn’t want to unload my freezer so I just put it in the uhaul fully loaded. Tossed in $50 of dry ice, 2 days later without plugging it in still had some dry ice left. Granted everything was frozen to begin with so cooling the meat will run through it fast, but it’s an easy option.

Dry ice is a really good option as well.

When we moved I didn’t want to unload my freezer so I just put it in the uhaul fully loaded. Tossed in $50 of dry ice, 2 days later without plugging it in still had some dry ice left. Granted everything was frozen to begin with so cooling the meat will run through it fast, but it’s an easy option.
That was my plan this year. Run the generator to get it frozen them use the freezer as a cooler with dry ice from there out.

We were able to fit 2 boned out elk in a 7 cubic foot. It was really tight but kept everything cold/frozen until we got home.
I think I’ll just go the route of dry ice and coolers moving forward.
The freezer worked great when a group of us went and had 8 days of pre cooked frozen meals for each day in the freezer. It broke and I don’t feel like replacing it.

I see it but no way I would haul around a freezer on a trailer in NM, and not have it break down.
Hell my truck doors and windows get dust plugged and the mirror switch just went out from dust.

Dry ice is your little fren...

Don't know where you plan on hunting but in a place that you need your stuff in a bear proff container a chest freezer is not considered bear proof.
We added a set of hasp locks and padlocks on our freezer when we spent a couple years working for the USFS. I added one of those "bear proof container" stickers from the forest service to it and never had anyone give it a second glance. This was while it lived outside of our parked RV.
I ruined a chest freezer hauling it and a generator in my utility trailer. I found out later that all the bouncing can cause the compressor to lock up.
We have a $199 chest freezer (7 cubic foot or so) that has been in our travel trailer through 4+ years of full time RV travel and then another 4 years sitting in our hot AF shop here in Arkansas.
Even got tossed around a time or three by bears (we installed hasps and padlocks) when stored outside during our travels working for the Forest Service.
I truly DESPISE chest freezers and the wife agreed that i can upgrade to a commercial upright freezer when this little guy dies.
So apparently it's gonna live forever!
Actually I'll trade straight across:
My never-gonna-die chest freezer for your dead one.

As far as traveling with them I have taken our freezer, once it was full and the contents frozen solid, and left it unplugged for upwards of 5 days (in fall temps) and never had a loss of meat when I got home to open it and plug it back in. The key is keeping it FULL (use water bottles/jugs as needed to get it full) and not opening the lid.

Last edited:
We added a set of hasp locks and padlocks on our freezer when we spent a couple years working for the USFS. I added one of those "bear proof container" stickers from the forest service to it and never had anyone give it a second glance. This was while it lived outside of our parked RV.
Might have worked for you but I've had it happen and seen it twice; Where the Ranger made myself and 2 other parties get rid of the chest freezer. A sticker doesn't make it bear proof. Puts a damper on a hunt when you have to spend a day taking a cooler to a dump and buying coolers.

Might have worked for you but I've had it happen and seen it twice; Where the Ranger made myself and 2 other parties get rid of the chest freezer. A sticker doesn't make it bear proof. Puts a damper on a hunt when you have to spend a day taking a cooler to a dump and buying coolers.
I can see that sucking.
We put the sticker on there as a joke but it did seemed to "ranger proof" the freezer. I doubt the bears ever even read the darned thing...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back