Caribou Gear Tarp

Cheapest way to e-file ???

mikieb

I just got done with doing my taxes with Tax-act, and when I got down to the end, to the e-file part. I had to drop $109.00... I know, to be fair... I should pay something. But what is every one else paying for the same service ? One federal return, plus, profit or loss from farming, capitol gains form and one state return... Should all that run me $109 ?

In the end... I paid into Chairman Joe's wealth redistribution scheme... so I'm a little bitter about the additional $109 on top of it... Thank you for letting me vent.

Don't know about the extra forms but I have used Credit Karma the past 2 or 3 years. Free.

Every state + the IRS let's you file them for free on their websites.

If your not itemizing, don't have complicated investments, etc I'm not sure why you would even pay to use turbo tax when the whole process can cost you $0.

In the end... I paid into Chairman Joe's wealth redistribution scheme... so I'm a little bitter about the additional $109 on top of it... Thank you for letting me vent.
Your 2020 taxes are Biden's fault? You probably should have left that out of your post as it exposes your.....I better stop there. Maybe vent somewhere else.

I just got done with doing my taxes with Tax-act, and when I got down to the end, to the e-file part. I had to drop $109.00... I know, to be fair... I should pay something. But what is every one else paying for the same service ? One federal return, plus, profit or loss from farming, capitol gains form and one state return... Should all that run me $109 ?

Pretty sure that was someone else's tax scam you're butt hurt about.

that being said you can got directly to the IRS and state dept of revenue and file for free if you know how to fill in the paperwork.

I’ve used TurboTax for 20+ years. Generally about $50-60 for the software and it includes one free fed e-file and one state (e-file for state is extra) if you buy the version that includes those. I like the download vs. online versions because I like having a hard copy of each year’s data on my local drive. Call me old school...

I also file a return for a Trust. That version of TurboTax is generally in the $80 range, but is fully deductible as a business expense of the Trust. It doesn’t included free e-file, so I just print and mail that one. Call me cheap...

Trump tax bill reduced my taxes by 5 figures, but our kids will foot the bill for that. Enough said.

Trump tax bill reduced my taxes by 5 figures, but our kids will foot the bill for that. Enough said.
My taxes went up under Trump. I hit one of the income gaps that I made too much but not enough. Upper middle class tax burden. I’m assuming that they’ll go up with Biden too.

Oh Hey Hey !!!! I didn't say the Orange man didn't have his own income redistribution plan too.... I wish they would not send out any freshly printed money... it dilutes the value of all the money each of us has already earned and managed to keep for our own....

However, next year. I do expect the current reshiem to take more from me in tax dollars than I paid this year.

With that said... I need to find a cheaper way to file a tax return. That is what I am asking.

I’ve filed my own for 20 of the last 22 years. Once I exceeded the income limits for free file I just use snail mail. 2 stamps for the federal return and 1 stamp for the state return, so $1.65

Turbo tax includes free efile and if you do others after, its $25

That $109 seems a bit expensive, but I don’t think you’d get that kind of return done for $40, either. H&R Block and TurboTax are about the same price. I think mine is about half that to file both state and federal with block, but I don’t have a schedule F. The schedule F is probably where you’re getting dinged on the cost.

I’m all for DIY, but I’ll gladly pay up a few bucks to be able to import my all my stock trades and let Td ameritrade and block take care of that for me.

Last edited:
I use turbo tax. It could be free but I use the $40 version so I don’t have to input all of my info, every time. It remembers me. It also charges to do state, but it transfers most of your info over from your federal. If I had all of my papers in order it would take less then an hour.

I’ve filed my own for 20 of the last 22 years. Once I exceeded the income limits for free file I just use snail mail. 2 stamps for the federal return and 1 stamp for the state return, so $1.65
Income limits? I wasn’t aware there were any.

I've got a simple life so I file my own taxes using online software. I've used FreeTaxUSA for a few years now and pay $12.95. They store all of my information so revisiting previous years returns and having the bulk of the forms auto-filled is worth the money to me.

Ha! I've also noticed everything else is a rip off if you don't do it for a living. I've heard plumbers complain about the cost of IT help, Dentist complaining about the cost of plumbers and Lawyers complaining about the cost of everything. ;)
Yep, amazing how everyone would like to make a decent living, isn't it?!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back