Cheap Rifle Shootout

OhHeyThereBen

This should be fun to follow. My brother-in-law is looking for his first rifle and has $500 to spend total on a rifle/scope/rings/sling/etc. I'm cruising used racks for a cream puff, but am wondering what you all would go with for a new rifle and scope for around that $500 mark?

Here are a few that I've seen with combos or enough room to mount a $200 scope on:

T/C Compass
Savage Axis
Savage Axis II
Savage Model 11
Savage Model 110
Remington 783
Remington 700 ADL
Ruger American
Winchester XPR

I realize that some of them are cutting it close to the mark, but if you all could share your opinions and good/bad experiences with the above I'd greatly appreciate it. Cabela's has a Remington 783 with a scope mounted for $299 (probably a bad scope... but that's to be determined) that's looking good right now.

This is NOT a caliber discussion thread. There are about a bazillion that would work just fine for him and I can handle that decision.

My wife's Remington 770 is hands down the best shooting rifle I have ever used. It was in that range and I imagine the 783 is a similar type gun. It is "based" off the 700 but the action is not smooth. The stock is cheap plastic and the scope sucks compared to anything around $200. But I've killed an antelope at 396 yards with it and I think her farthest shot is 325 ish on her elk. It will flat out shoot tho so 1 day I should probably put a real scope on it but why change something that is lights out

I have a 770 in .270 that came with a Bushnell scope on it for $200. It is my backup and has been good on deer and antelope out to 342 yds. I give it to kids and AOH to tey out. Perfect for rhat.

Savage Axis II or 11/111. If not savage then I'd go with the TC Compass. I'm looking to get one myself for a backup/loaner rifle for folks coming to AZ. Supposed to be a tackdriver. Plus it's hard to beat the Model 70 style trigger and safety

Or see if you can find a used rifle somewhere.

When I was 16 my dad gave me an old off-the-shelf 7mm that he didn't shoot much. I threw a Vortex scope on it and it shoots like this...

300 Yards

20150814_180021.jpg

1 Mile

20141108_170826.jpg

Of course now he's trying to de-gift it ;)

Look at the Mossberg patriot too. A family member has sighted in many and has 3 and they are very accurate and feed well. Very strait well designed stock. Good looking in the wood model. Good weight.

My cheap rifle is a used 110.

They sell an ugly version of the patriot too. An a prettier one but that one is over 500 dollars. Good trigger similar to acutrigger.

img_9612.jpg

I'd go with the 700 ADL or Savage 110. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the axis and american too, but if it was me, I would go with the proven quality action of the 700 or 110.

Savages have a well-deserved reputation for accuracy, value and aesthetic, um, modesty. My Stevens (Savage) 200 is as plain as a duct-taped hammer. Yet it shoots equal to the best guns in the safe. If Savage is your choice, get accutrigger. Or upgrade the trigger, like the Timney on my 200.

You didn't mention what the gun will be used for.
Hunting.
Hunting/target.
Target/hunting.
Target.
Or what type of hunting.
Antelope, white tail, muleys, elk.
Expected distance your planning on shooting?

I have a previously mentioned Stevens 200 aka Savage 10. It was in 7mm-08. I shot out the barrel( aprox 6,000 rounds).
Took big whitetail doe at 413 yards.
I would highly recommend it!
It is now wearing an E.R. Shaw 24" barrel in 250 Savage.

If you get an Axis, expect to want a better trigger.
The Axis II comes with the Accu Trigger. Which is a good thing.
If it comes as a package, i'd take the scope off and let the dog have it to chew on.
Then buy either a Leupold, Vortex, or Sightron.

I got a Savage 110 used for $240 and then put a Vortex Viper (would push over your limit but I love it :) ). I love the accutrigger and it shoots great. The ONLY thing I don't like, and it is just me, is the internal versus box magazine. I do prefer the box magazines and have considered a new rig but I just can't part with such a sweet shooter :)

I ended up with a Compass when my wife won one in a raffle. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback on it for $149. The one I have shoots right around 1/2 MOA, and I have no complaints with it. Works well, no issues... I would recommend for an inexpensive rifle.

I got my kids a TC Venture and Nikon Pro Staff scope for about 450. I've done limited reloading for it, but have now shot groups in the 1/2-5/8" range with 3 different loads, including one factory load. It's a solid rifle.

Ruger American all the way ! Search the net for an 'American Wolf' if you want something a little unique, then buy a Leupold V1.

I got my Wolf for $289 from Grab a Gun, then rebored to a 338 Fed & a 2X7 V1 for under what I would spend for a box 338 from anywhere w/o a scope !

Last edited:
If they still make them, a marlin xs7 is hard to beat, also the xl7 for long action. Of the ones listed I'd go with the ADL and upgrade later.

Back