Charged by a cougar

If I had a rifle I would have killed it.

If I had that pistol, at a minimum, the slide would have been locked back when I was finished....lol

On another note: I cant shoot my glock worth a crap one handed so I won't judge him too hard, but if I get 2 paws on the gun, I could kill that lion easily at 40 yards...lol

Last edited:
I've never been in the situation he was in. In fact I've never had an encounter with any wild animal in which I felt my health or life was threatened. Although I have thought about different scenarios and what I would do, until in that moment I can't be 100% sure.

For all of the criticism this guy's receiving I hope that I accomplish the one thing that he did that is the only thing that would matter, walking away unharmed. From that standpoint only, he was successful.

That cat was in defensive mode. Standing tall, ears back, slowly advancing with the side gait? Then the mock charge where it slaps the ground? Classic defensive posturing. I don’t think it was going to actually attack as long as he kept backing up.

If that cat was actually in stealth mode and wanted to attack him, he wouldn’t have been able to get the phone out before it was over.

I think this may have started out being a hopeful harmless video of a probably curious cougar. He brings up his handgun just in case. Then the cat comes in on him very aggressively. Note its ears are flattened. It means business and it isn't some undersized goofy subadult or someone's pet turned loose. The guy is suddenly clearly almost in panic mode. He has his handgun up already. Is he going to try switching to his rifle? I wouldn't. He misses the cat because he's looking at his phone. Came pretty close though. I can maybe understand how someone could lose his nerve and in hindsight make odd decisions. He's concentrating on moving away without turning away ... which was the one right thing he did. Should he have done it differently? Maybe. It's easy to be critical sitting on a couch in your living room.

He missed the cat because he yanked the hell out of the trigger. You can clearly see it in the video.
Yeah. He was just a little excited ... and probably a whole lot inexperienced. I don't own a Glock but my experience with my double action Smith 29 is it does take some effort to make the gun work when hammer is at rest. Might explain the first slap shot.

Yeah. He was just a little excited ... and probably a whole lot inexperienced. I don't own a Glock but my experience with my double action Smith 29 is it does take some effort to make the gun work when hammer is at rest. Might explain the first slap shot.
The second slap shot was worse. Does no good to carry a handgun if you can’t shoot it. And, you can’t shoot it while you’re preoccupied with filming your end of life encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Back away make yourself big….. standing there saying this is a lion isn’t fixing much. I think the video was a female with cubs, same as the poor guy in Utah.

Like I said before I think cats really give me the creeps in the dark, if I can see one no big deal. They are killing machines though. I can relate with a grizzly, killing through brute force and anger, a cat just bites the jugular and watches you bleed. Cats are the dahmer of the predator world. Change my mind.
Ernie Chambers said they were not a problem in Nebraska.

The folks in Chadron did not feel the same way.

The second slap shot was worse. Does no good to carry a handgun if you can’t shoot it. And, you can’t shoot it while you’re preoccupied with filing your end of life encounter.
Yep the gun in his hand made it more dangerous. He had a better chance of wounding it and really pissing it off than killing it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back