Change.org

Wirewrangler

Hi All,

New here and after a quick search, didn't turn anything up in regards to a change.org petition that hit my inbox today. Here is the text:

Yellowstone National Park plans to slaughter 1,000 wild buffalo

Petitioning U.S National Park Services
Don't Kill the Buffalo in Yellowstone

Petition by Joyce ONeill
Cromwell, Connecticut

Supporters

Sign Joyce’s petition

More wild buffalo have been slaughtered in the U.S. in the past ten years than at any time in the last century. This may surprise most Americans, who think of the buffalo massacre that took place in the 19th century as a closed chapter in our history. But it is not.
Right now, Yellowstone National Park is carrying out plans to kill roughly 1,000 more wild bison for exactly the same reasons our forefathers exterminated them 150 years ago -- to protect the lucrative cattle industry. Bison that wander out of Yellowstone are considered a danger to livestock because they can transfer the disease brucellosis to cattle. For this reason, Yellowstone has slaughtered nearly 9,000 wild bison since 1985. This number is all the more striking because there are currently only about 3,000 buffalo living in Yellowstone, comprising America's only free-roaming and unfenced population.
Meanwhile, many area Native American tribes are struggling to restore bison populations on their lands. Doing so would revitalize reservation landscape and wildlife, while also re-establishing Native Americans’ cultural and historic connections to this great animal. More than 136 Yellowstone bison have already been resettled to tribal lands in Montana, and with great success -- the Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes have already seen grassland birds return and native grasses thrive on their land.
Please join me in calling on U.S. National Park Services and the Montana Department of Livestock to immediately halt any further slaughter of these Yellowstone bison and move them to tribal lands instead. It’s a win-win solution for all parties.

Sign Joyce’s petition

What's the backstory here?

What is some good, accurate source material?

Thanks Everybody!

Wes

YNP doesn't plan to kill 1,000 bison, tribal members and hunters plan to shoot them. I'll be one of them, hunting bison in Wyoming in the coming month.

As is always the case, some of this stuff is laughable. First of all, there are currently over 5,000 bison in the herd. The quoted numbers are only off by 2,000, or 66.6%.

And what is really funny is how they want the tribes to have the bison, proclaiming the tribes can save the bison. Now that I've picked myself up off the floor in laughter, I'll continue. The tribes kill more bison than state hunter in Montana, by a ratio of 10-to-1. If you're a bison in MT, you better not stand near a road, in a ditch, or on a trail if a tribal member comes by. Odds are, your carcass will be on their flatbed trailer getting a ride back to the rez.

So Joyce from Cromwell has suckered 66,000+ people into signing her petition based on those false statements. No wonder we have the elected folks we have in DC.

Joyce is from Connecticut? Does she even know what a bison looks like? Maybe she saw a picture of one on a Starbucks mug or something...

I keep getting emails from them for various things. Most recent one was for a polar bear...

If you sign one petition from that site, you'll keep getting various emails from them asking to sign all different kinds of stuff and a lot of them are ones like this Joyce dimwit wants you to sign. I found out the hard way!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back