Caribou Gear Tarp

CHANGE OF TIMES WITH DISTANCE??

I routinely practiced out to 60 yards back 15-20 years ago before it was "cool", but I never took a shot past 30. After shooting at 60... that bullseye/double lung area looks HUGE at 20-30.

I once had two stud bucks at 45 yards tearing up the ground fighting in a cut corn field. I was in a tree with a clear shot and came to full draw numerous times. I just couldn't let it fly. Not because I wasn't confident in my shot, I wasn't confident the animals were going to stay still long enough. Watched them fight for 25 minutes ( before cell phone cameras) out in the open.

With sound traveling 3 times the speed of most arrows it just doesn't pencil for me. I will keep working hard to get as close as I can.

This hunt or any of the videos this particular person puts out are a prime example of the #sendit mentality. Especially for people that put stuff on YouTube.

I kinda have a hard time with this outlook, for the simple fact he isn't hear to defend himself. I have watched this show, and I do think they try to keep things as real as possible. I personally would rather see being truthful, then someone who shoots a 200 inch deer every day on there lease or bait pile . That's just me. I do get it though.

I routinely practiced out to 60 yards back 15-20 years ago before it was "cool", but I never took a shot past 30. After shooting at 60... that bullseye/double lung area looks HUGE at 20-30.

I once had two stud bucks at 45 yards tearing up the ground fighting in a cut corn field. I was in a tree with a clear shot and came to full draw numerous times. I just couldn't let it fly. Not because I wasn't confident in my shot, I wasn't confident the animals were going to stay still long enough. Watched them fight for 25 minutes ( before cell phone cameras) out in the open.

With sound traveling 3 times the speed of most arrows it just doesn't pencil for me. I will keep working hard to get as close as I can.
See, you get it. It's not a matter of how far you can shoot. The fact of the matter is that it's a living animal and it'll move. It's not like pulling a trigger where at 60 yards, time of flight for a bullet is close to nothing.

Bow hunting is about getting up close to the animal. A more primitive form of hunting. It's not a long range sport. You never know what's going to happen from the time you release your arrow and it gets there. I know first hand.

Doubt all you want...the guy shoots a baseball size group at 100. There are a lot of bow hunters that don’t do that at 30,40,50. He’s the best in the world and backs it up all the time.

I'm not disputing his talent at poking holes in a stationary target in a controlled environment.
I don't buy it that he is better at 100yds than an average bow hunter is at 30 when you put all the variables in the equation that comes with real life hunting situations.

I kinda have a hard time with this outlook, for the simple fact he isn't hear to defend himself. I have watched this show, and I do think they try to keep things as real as possible. I personally would rather see being truthful, then someone who shoots a 200 inch deer every day on there lease or bait pile . That's just me. I do get it though.
I don’t disagree with you. I also watch their content. I just disagree with them taking these kind of shots. I’m glad they show real life though. It helps people get a true perspective of what hunting really is rather then, the walk out one morning and shoot a monster every hunt.
There was one episode this season he was solo deer hunting in Idaho and had a buck that he Ended up shooting. but when he was first going to shoot the deer was skylined. How do I watch that show with my son who looks up to these guys, who just took hunter safety and hear him say, “dad you never shoot a skylined animal, you don’t know where your bullet is going to end up.”

I shoot basket ball size groups at 100 yrds and would never shoot past 50 and dont even like that but if all the stars line up I can make those shots
That being said I think my longest shot ever was 36 out in open relaxed know Idea I was their most have been under 30
long range is great for practice and confidence but in hunting situations to many things can go wrong

I just posted a long story about a run-in with a solo this past week. The first shot he took that only injured the animal was at 65yds. In my opinion, that's pretty darn far. Too far for my liking. I think 40 is a good max to have, much further past that and you get into more variables like an animal taking a step, hearing the bow, having time to react. IMO.

40 and under is my self imposed limit.

Hard lessons, hard won, hard lost. Even when you've shot every single day at 60-80 yards at a dot, you get a giant deer or a screaming bull in front of you and its a new game. If ulmer isn't shooting at 60, I sure as F am not.

I wonder if the cavemen had ethics discussions when someone invented an atlatl and started chucking spears at longer distances. :unsure:
Hunting for survival vs fun... Most of us would say we would die without game meat but that was a different time.

since when did "basketball size groups" become acceptable in any hunting situation at any distance?

Well, it is basketball season.

giphy.gif

I practice religiously out to 100 yards, but that is to make closer shots feel “easier”. Practicing longer distance shows your flaws and helps you work on them as well. I also shoot A LOT of 3D which targets range anywhere from 19-120 yards. Even still I personally would not feel comfortable shooting an animal over 50 yards and that’s under perfect conditions. Last buck I shot at ducked my arrow at 40 yards. Plus I think getting in close is what bow hunting is all about.

since when did "basketball size groups" become acceptable in any hunting situation at any distance?
If your responding to my post I never said it had anything to do with hunting just shooting, and 50 would be my max but 36 was the longest shoot I ever took and thats in 40 yrs of bow hunting

Maybe you are already doing it, but I would say that far better than practicing at crazy distances would be practicing different set-ups. Practice crouching - I hit a bull poorly because I had to crouch a little to get an arrow under a branch directly in front of me - now I practice shooting from a slight crouch to as far down as I can get while at full draw. Practice standing on uneven and slanted ground (uphill, downhill, sidehill, one foot on a rock, etc) - if you want to get see how crazy you can get, I saw a video of Cameron Hanes shooting an elk while standing on a tree limb, just to get above the brush. I know a guy who was sitting in front of a pine tree and had an elk come in directly behind him - the only way he could get a shooting lane was to lay flat on his back and shoot under the pine branches (he did not take the shot, but he now practices shooting while lying on his back). Shooting targets at 100 yds is easier to brag about, but realistic shooting positions are a bigger challenge and, I think, more likely to help you actually kill something in the woods.
This has become my new practice standard. I certainly still practice the simple Weaver stance, generic open to the world, arrow slinging for the basics though failure to practice real world is asking for a pass or for some that push it, a poor chit shot.
Several years ago I passed on a bull for the same reasons shared above, specifically body twisted kneeling around a tree as a silent bull moved along.

Re: range... Compound bow vs traditional, change in distance? Step forward to sliding sight vs "standard" sight?
CDS vs iron sights, change in distance?
Sabots vs lead snipped ball?
Like your digital range finder?

It's the inevitable evolutionary range adaptation.

Ethics are not sold on the next aisle nor are packaged skill upgrades. Some place intense time with practice and are confident others don't. It's not a purchased trait.

Girls basketball or guys basketball?

In all seriousness the basketball size group isn’t much bigger than the “pie plate” size group people have used as a reference for a very long time

my bad, somehow misread "baseball" for "basketball". Blame it on lack of coffee and lack of confidence in many of these far range shooters with both gun and bow. Glad i was incorrect, don't really approve of using sporting equipment of that size as a standard of measurement.

Carry on

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back