Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Chamois

ds

For those interested in South Pacific hunting heres a few pics from over the pond in New Zealand taken earlier in the Year. Inclemant weather restricted our hunt, ultimately chewing up well over half the trip. Luckily we did get some clear days which gave us an oppurtunity to spend some time on the hill and get amongst the critters.

Rock Bivy.
0703130010.jpg

No tops on show today.
Resizeof07031300241.jpg

Family group of Chamois.
Resizeofchamoisgroup.jpg

Little Chamois.
Resizeof07031400421.jpg

Clear skies.
ResizeofscottcrkMtSefton.jpg

Bigger Chamois.
Resizeof07031500891.jpg

Amazing pics! I've always thought that hunting in NZ would be awesome, but reading about it in Warren Page's One Man's Wilderness and see your pics has definitely got me jonzing to give it a whirl.

Congrats on a great looking hunt!

Nice to know their are people in other parts of the world just as crazy about hunting as the rest of us.

Very nice!!! Someday I hope to hike and hunt the southern Alps. Chamois are tied at the top of the list with Thar and I'd be grateful to hunt either in that beautiful country.

Cheers fellas, I'm glad you liked the pics. We are fortunate here in the south pacific to have our own piece of alpine wilderness to frolic in.
We have been battling these mountains with bow in hand for many years now usually returning home empty handed, though never disappointed. Occasionally years them mountains have been kind enough to offer some of its beasts to us.
For anyone interested it is worth the effort in organizing, the unguided option is obtainable with geneally no bag limits or seasons. From memory Moosie tackled them hills some years ago and returned satisfied.

Here are an assortment of pics from over the years.(hope it ain't too many)
Resizeoftravisheadwatersscopeand-1.jpg

ResizeofTonyuphighNZ2003.jpg

ResizeofIMGP0309.jpg

ResizeofIMGP0257.jpg

Img322.jpg

Resizeof2005_0615Image0204.jpg

ResizeofTony_IceLake_WestCoast.jpg

ResizeofImage-05.jpg

Rakia.jpg

ResizeofResizeofImage-08.jpg

ResizeofResizeofImage-07.jpg
+

Damn Australians, come to our country and pinch our animals :D :D, evens out I s'pose, I'm working in yours and taking your money:) which watershed were you in last trip ?

Cheers

Hey Kiwi,
We tramped up the Copeland, good times at the moment a few beasts getting about. You taking advantage of the hunting we got going in Aus, where are you at?

Thanks GFHunter..

ds

Wow, great pics and awesome country. I'd definately like to give that a try some day, but I'd probably be packing a rifle.

what the hell kind of spotting scope is that??
Awsome pictures though

So how would a Yank go about planning a DIY hunt for chamois and tahr?

Chamois & Tahr can be found on the east coast and west coast of the South Island. For us it has generally been a matter of choosing a public land valley to hunt(many to choose from, picking the right one is the trick;) ). Flying into Christchurch and buying a car from a backpackers hostel. Obtaining a hunting permit & pay hut fees (if not fly camping) from the nearest D.O.C (Department Of Conservation) office to where you will be hunting.
We have only ever 'packed' into the mountains which is why we get cheap shitty cars that we leave on the side of the road for the duration of the hunt. An alternative and more common way is to use a Helicopter to ferry you into the mountains, such services are readily available.
Don't know the rules governing importation of critters into the States, but for us it's a matter of applying for a bio import permit from our home country prior to departure. Once you have claimed your beast we require a New Zealand MAF certificate (certificate of origin) which enables us to bring the animal home.
This is a brief rundown of how we do it & has served us well over the years.
If I can be of any assistance just send me a line.
Heres some more dead critters.
Resizeof2ChamoisBuckWhataroaNZ2003.jpg

ResizeofImage-04.jpg

ResizeofIMGP0241.jpg

ResizeofImage-102.jpg

Resizeof2005_0615Image0247.jpg

691c8b39.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pics. That is some incredible country. Definately something I'd like to try in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back