Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Chamber Empty or Loaded

Seems like this is mostly a regional thing. I moved to Idaho from Ohio two years ago. I'd hunted in Ohio for over 20 years before the move and had never heard of someone hunting with an empty chamber. Based on this thread, it definitely seems to be more common here in the west.

If I am in the field ON FOOT and actively hunting, I generally have a round chambered and my gun on safety. However, if I an not actively hunting and carrying my rifle on a sling to my pack or over my shoulder, I do not chamber a round but have the magazine loaded and ready to chamber a round. To high of a risk for an accident if you chamber a round and not actively pursuing game. Generally when I chamber a round is when I am about to shoot or expect to shoot in a short time. Depends on what game I am hunting. With rabbits, I chamber a round when I start my stalk. Same with doves. But most big game, I do not chamber a round until I am ready to shoot.

For most of my life I hunted with one in the chamber. For all the times that people say the Internet never changes your mind, hunt talk changed mine. This thread from four years ago was the catalyst, and for the last three years I have mostly hunted with an empty chamber - The exceptions being when I’m still hunting the thick stuff.

Last edited:
I have usually hunted alone , one in the chamber ,safety on. Unloaded if terrain decides. Unloaded if not hunting or in a truck.
Last 2 years hunting with my buddy it has been unloaded.

The only time there is a shell in the chamber is when a shot presents itself, or when still hunting thru timber and the game sign indicates a shot might be imminent. Otherwise it is empty. Doing this has not cost me one animal.

I bird hunt with pointing dogs and an O/U shotgun. More times than not, I leave it empty until approaching the dog on point. I don't really care if this has cost me a few birds.

It's always an empty chamber for me.

I also hunt on the prairie primarily so I always have plenty of time to chamber a round. Never ran into a situation where I couldn't wait the extra second...

Shotgun, always one in, can't pheasant hunt without a round in the chamber there

In chamber, safety on. Mostly I am
still hunting or on stand. Rarely glassing or with a long view, especially around here. If there is an overt risk of a fall like a steep rockface, stream or log crossing, then often remove the round. Otherwise, I’m hunting and ready to shoot. I’ll bet there is hardly a hunter east of the Mississippi that would consider hunting with an empty chamber. Never knew an upland bird hunter, turkey hunter, small gamer, or waterfowler to hunt on an empty chamber either. Same for muzzleloaders - never saw anyone cap their rifle only as game approached. Open mountain / desert hunting with long range shooting predominantly from a rest is an environment it can make sense in though.

Last mule deer buck I shot in Idaho I jumped from its bed at about 40 yards while stillhunting, he paused just long enough to raise the rifle offhand, slip safety off, and was gone out of sight after the shot. There was no setting up, or getting a rest. It was that opportunity or no buck.

Last elk in Colorado was with muzzleloader, ran into around a bend on a game trail while stillhunting and raised gun, 1/4 second to @#)(# the hammer, pow! No cover between us, no time to do anything else.

edit…. we can’t say “@#)(#” the hammer on here? ugh

hen pheasant
@#)(# pheasant

shuttlecock

gamecocks

double ugh
I would argue that in the act of raising the gun yiu had time to chamber a round on that mule deer. Chamber a round or take off the safety. Not and difference in time hardly.

I don’t have one in the chamber, with the exception of hunting upland, or stil hunting. In that situation I’m mostly in the ready carry position. If it’s on my pack or in my gun barer, a sling across my shoulder then absolutely not.

You are all doing it wrong!
Always remove all ammo from the firearm if you have a removable magazine place that in your pocket when you are done hunting (this is very important once you figure out where the elk will be in the morning!) Also make sure you have a back up rifle that is a different caliber than your primary gun. Make sure you don't stash any spare ammo in your truck, pack, or kill kit. Once you get back to your camp take your primary rifle, backup rifle, any spare ammo (except for the backup rifle) and the magazine from your primary rifle out of the truck and put it in your tent. Next morning drive 20-30 minutes to your hunting spot. (Be sure to arrive extra early so you will have plenty of time to watch the elk feed out!) Put your pack on remove rifle from case and insert....magazine that you left back at camp. No worries the spare rifle is.....back at camp. Well I can use it as a single shot (No need for more than one shot anyway because I got up extra early to be in position and ready!) because I have plenty of spare ammo... for the wrong rifle! Dig through my gear because everyone knows you should always have an emergency stash...except me! Drive back to camp grab magazine, correct spare ammo, and spare rifle. Hall a$$ back to spot as the sun is well over the horizon! Take comfort in knowing you couldn't have shot yourself or an elk on your well made plans🤤
When I am hiking around my chamber is empty. Stalking, still hunting, or stationary hunting there is a round in the chamber.

Empty chamber 90% of the time. I'll chamber a round and unsling my rifle when I'm slipping through thick timber that has a lot of sign or when I'm on a stalk and have a good idea of where an animal is.

One in the chamber with the safety on. Unless I’m hiking a long distance in the dark I usually just load up at the truck and head out.
Does anyone else think that quickly loading a firearm, in the heat of the moment, while an animal is disappearing over a ridge might be a little hazardous? Or is that just me

Back