Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chainsaw Recommendation

CaddisShack

Looking for recommendations...

I'm looking for saw to handle basic trail clearing and firewood duties while at camp. I live in the suburbs, so the only time I get to play with a chainsaw is during camping and hunting season. I get on a lot of sketchy 4x4 trails, and a chainsaw is a must-have. It won't get a ton of use, but it'll need to be reliable.

I don't know a lot about chainsaws. I've only used my buddies a few times to clean up beetle kill around camp.

Bar Length?
Power?
Accessories and Must Haves while on the trail?

I'm leaning toward something like the Husqvarna 440e, but I'm open to ideas. It sounds like Husqvarna vs Stihl is like Ford vs Chevy.

Thoughts?

Stihl.
Get a bar long enough that you don't walk into it; wear chaps in case you do.

9fallingSmall_zps369836f2.jpg

You are like me, i settled on this one (are they any others apart from Stihl?!) STIHL MS180 14" CHAINSAW does everything i need and has never let me down.
I also have the trousers (very hot to work in mind) and hat/ear protectors/gloves, i should have boots but can't afford any at the moment, but i should buy some.
Buy a sharpener and get someone to show you how to use it to get an edge, there is an art to it!
Cheers
Richard

Richard, I am amazed at your knowledge of a chain saw. I really thought it was a Western American tool. Thank you for clearing up that misconception.

I have a Stihl MS250 18" saw. Very nice outfit! May be a bit bigger than you would need for camp, but in general, can't go wrong with a Stihl. Spare chain is a good idea.

I have had both Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws, as well as a few other brands. You can't go wrong with either brand. Just stay away from the ones your can get at a big box retailer like Lowes. These versions, although they will do the job, are often times built a lot more flimsy than what a actual dealer offers. The bars are usually narrow gauge and will pinch and bend really easy. I would make sure whatever you get has a 3/8" bar. You typically don't pay much more at a dealer for a lot better saw. My wife bought me a Husqvarna a few years back from Lowes. Her intentions were good, and the saw runs well, but I end up working on the bar, chain, and bar lubricator a heck of a lot more than I do with the ones I've purchased from a dealer.

Ditto ,tools from box stores are for weekenders who can buy tools weekly & replace weekly.Knockoffs.
Not the same tool as from the tool company stock.
I have both & now use a Stihl 170 & my big Huskie mostly now.
A file in guide & chaps. I also wear a cutting helmet with face shield.

Last edited:
The MS250 with a 16 or 18-inch bar would do nicely for all tasks that you have. An MS180 is a fine choice also, but is not as durable of a saw as the 250. Husqvarna has a couple nice small saws, too, as well as Echo. If you buy one of the cheap Chinese saws, you will not have the longevity factor and they are hard to get parts for. I no longer run Husqvarna, but have five Stihls from the 180-441. They are great saws.

Whatever you decide, make sure to learn how to sharpen the chain and have an extra chain available.

I have the Stihl "farmboss 029" ... a real work horse and very reliable. Might be a tad too much for your needs. I would go with a Stihl.

good luck to all
the dog

I also have a Stihl farmboss which I like very much. You cant go wrong with a Stihl.

I have 3 of the Stihl Farm Boss with 20in bar and they have never let me down. . . .as others have said they may be too big for what you need. The MS170 Stihl would be perfect, my Dad just bought one for brush cutting and loves it. Good luck. ( I believe that if you buy the 6pack of Stihl's silver oil when you purchase the saw it will double your warranty).

Husky and Stihl are both good brands. You'll find that there are two grades of saws made by both companies. One grade made overseas with lower quality parts for a cheaper price. These saws have a lifespan and are considered throwaways when they do go. The other grade are made from quality parts and are completely rebuild able. I personally would go with the Stihl 260 Pro with a 20" bar. If you are only going to use it a few hours a year the lesser grade model will work just fine. I personally have an older Stilh 029 Super that has a ton of hours on it, has been rebuilt and it runs amazing. If you can find an older saw that runs good and the number starts with a "0" such as my 029 those are the good ones. Good luck.

The main difference between the "pro" model Stihls and the "homeowner" models, is that the homeowner does not have the magnesium crank case. This makes them a bit harder to work on, if problems arise in that part of the saw. Other than that, there is not a real marked difference. I have an MS 260 that is a fantastic saw and I also have the MS 250 (a buddy gave me the saw and I paid to have it fixed). The 260 is a stronger saw, because I modded the muffler on it and retuned the carb. Other than that, it would be hard to tell them apart, as far as performance.

I buy only pro saws, as I cut LOTS of firewood. To me the difference in price is worth it, but both types will work well if taken care of properly. A sharp chain makes a good saw from a mediocre one. Keep good fuel mix (non-ethynol) in the saw, keep the air filter clean, keep the chain tight and sharp and just go cut stuff!

For basic trail cleaning and cutting firewood at camp I don't think you'd need anything that large or a bar greater than 18".

Over the last 3 years I've cut probably a dozen cords of lodgepole with a Stihl MS 251.. I'm not as knowledgeable regarding chainsaws as some of the above posters, but I'll say it has been a great saw so far.

Big Fin is the one to ask about which chainsaw/weed eater/mower is best to own.......He's a wise man. ;)

A lot of good information above. I have more experience with Stihls but Husqvarna make comparable saws too. I would consider which dealers are available to provide services near you. I am in a small town and have three stihl service providers and no Husqvarna shops. As noted above both brands have different level of saws. Stihl has three main levels: homeowner, farm & ranch, and professional. I would avoid the homeowner level. I have heard numerous issues about them. My personal saw is a Stihl 271 which is in the farm and ranch level. I also use the pro models at work from the 261 up to the 460 and 660. I wanted the 261 for my personal saw because it has more power and less weight than the 271, but I could not justify the price difference.

I would definitely learn the basics to sharpening and maintaining the saw. Your saw will last longer and you will not have to work as hard with a sharp chain. I have seen a lot of people trying to force a saw to cut some would because of a dull chain. This results in a tired operator and can lead to injury.

Wow, I can't believe all the good luck people have had with Stihl. I've had two, bought one and had one given to me, both are prone to breaking/dying at the least opportune time, while my two Husqvarna's run like champs day after day, year after year, and take all the abuse I shovel on them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back