Caribou Gear Tarp

Central Mountains, Manti UT LE elk hunt

My long time hunting buddy and his dad drew the Central Mountain, Manti LE elk hunt for this fall and are looking for a little guidance to help his 75 year old(?) dad at least get a shot at a decent bull. My buddy is a very experienced elk hunter, both archery and rifle, but being unfamiliar with this unit has hindered their scouting . They have spend most of the last week up looking around, but his dad's limited mobility is restricting their efforts.

As this is basically a once in a lifetime hunt, and possibly the last elk that his dad will ever take, I was hoping someone who had been lucky enough to have drawn this tag in the past could point them in the right direction.

Not looking for waypoints or hot spots, and they will probably never hunt this area again as it is far from home, but just some general hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The standard answer is that any canyon along skyline drive will have elk in them. My recommendation would be to focus on areas that have terrain that he can reasonably access. Once the hunt starts they will be bugling so locating elk should be easier. Also, the middle of the week should be good. A lot of people will have tagged out and most of the friends and family have gone back to work.

Congrats on the gretat tag. I did spike there few years ago. Like elkantlers said, Start on skyline. The vehicle or ATV access is pretty good. If his mobility will allow it, horses would open up a lot more

The guys before me are correct. All the canyons along skyline drive hold elk. One of the best parts of the manti is that there are roads all over so for someone with limited mobility. Glass all the bowls along skyline as well as the canyons at first light. Good luck.

Hunted all over this area and my dad and I killed big bulls up on the candland in 2014. I have pics of several bulls that where up there last year that aren't too awful to get too. I'll be up in the area on labor day weekend hunting spikes and cows if he wants to tag along I can show him around... just let me know
Thanks for the offer. I will get with him and let you know.

My long time hunting buddy and his dad drew the Central Mountain, Manti LE elk hunt for this fall and are looking for a little guidance to help his 75 year old(?) dad at least get a shot at a decent bull. My buddy is a very experienced elk hunter, both archery and rifle, but being unfamiliar with this unit has hindered their scouting . They have spend most of the last week up looking around, but his dad's limited mobility is restricting their efforts.

As this is basically a once in a lifetime hunt, and possibly the last elk that his dad will ever take, I was hoping someone who had been lucky enough to have drawn this tag in the past could point them in the right direction.

Not looking for waypoints or hot spots, and they will probably never hunt this area again as it is far from home, but just some general hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ATV trails everywhere in there. Get him in, find the quakies and the springs. You'll find the elk.

Just wanted to throw out a quick update on my friends hunt. All three of them harvested great bulls, with my friend's dad shooting the biggest of the bunch at an estimated 370" bull. Thanks a ton for all the advise and help.

Just wanted to throw out a quick update on my friends hunt. All three of them harvested great bulls, with my friend's dad shooting the biggest of the bunch at an estimated 370" bull. Thanks a ton for all the advise and help.
I am glad it all worked out. That is a great unit. My Family and I go down for the general spike hunt all the time. I would have sent some of the information that I knew if I would have seen this before, but looks like it was not needed. Congratulations to the Hunters.

Didn't they have a camera?

LOL yeah they had a camera with them. The pics I got from them were rather low resolution. I have attached one of his dad and his bull cropped out as to not show their faces all over the internet (not that the image is sharp enough to see faces). Not if they ran the tape or not, but it is a trophy in my book.

Attachments

• elk 2019.jpg
    elk 2019.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 115
The standard answer is that any canyon along skyline drive will have elk in them. My recommendation would be to focus on areas that have terrain that he can reasonably access. Once the hunt starts they will be bugling so locating elk should be easier. Also, the middle of the week should be good. A lot of people will have tagged out and most of the friends and family have gone back to work.
Hi, ive been on 4 trips and saw 1 elk in 2015. My brother moved to utah so we are going to check out the area around skyline. Are there any elk to be had by the 1st and 2nd week of September?

Hi, ive been on 4 trips and saw 1 elk in 2015. My brother moved to utah so we are going to check out the area around skyline. Are there any elk to be had by the 1st and 2nd week of September?
Welcome to HT. When you see this reply to a newb asking where to find game, it means stick around a while and join the discussion. Don't confuse HT w a game locating service. Robbie @ Rokslide may be able to help w that, for a fee.

Okay gents, new to the forum but not new to the field. Looking for some advice for this years spike elk hunt, not freebies. My question is regarding the drought. I am unfortunately not able to scout in person this year and I am coming from the east, so I don't know how the water sources are in this unit. Ive been researching the crap out of the unit on onX hunt and I see all these springs and creeks and rivers, but I'm unsure of how they're looking in reality after such a hard drought. So anyone who can tell me what the deal on the ground is would be much appreciated.

I plan to check out Dutton first and then move to this unit spotting from skyline as some have mentioned above, if we don't find a spike or if one of the three tag holders I'm going with get a spike. Thanks all, good luck in your adventures.

Water is abundant. Heavy rain throughout the summer. Dutton too. For Dutton, try the north end where it borders Monroe. Nasty steep, but huntable.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back