Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cedar siding sucks

schmalts

Damn, just got in to take a break from re-staining this stuff. Waaaay to much like work. This stuff is messed up from the douch bag that sold me the house put some real cheap stain/paint on and it peeled bad after 2 years. I just did it 4 years ago and now doing it again for some minor peeling and fading. In 5 years this shack is paid off and I will probably put in new windows and rip all this crap off and put on a high grade vinyl or something that is maintnance free.
Anyone else have cedar? If so how long do you get from a stain job?

Ever notice how between you, the idiot who did your roof, and the "douch"(sp) bag who put the cheap stain/paint on, there has never been anybody with 1/2 a brain working on your house?

Mr. Jose... ummm this is the place for friends section... your reply doesn't sound to friendly.. My 3 cts.

CJ,

If you notice, Shmaltz directed a comment toward me on his post in this thread, so I thought he would like me to comment that despite him thinking the world is smarter, he seems to have found the troika of idiocy on his home.

Obviously, if he didn't want me to comment, he wouldn't have put a comment about me in the thread.

Just passing along a friendly observation on the pattern that seems to have developed on Shmaltz' house.

Just my 4 pesos....

Noharleyet is gonna be pissed............

Nah, I'd have used trifecta....& schmalts doesn't ignore mine....yet.

It's amusing to see Jose's maliciousness switch from Spanglish to Russian though.

I like cedar siding. Just re-did my entire house with it. In my opinion all of that vinyl crap looks like ..... crap. Plus if the mower kicks up a rock, it punches a hole thru vinyl.
The trick is, cedar needs to be primed all sides and all cut ends with a good oil based primer, put it up and then paint it. I fully expect to have to re-paint every five years or so to make it last and keep it looking good, but that is the cost of ownership.

No big deal .....still looks one hell of a lot better than plastic.

The ideal no maintenance home would be all brick or masonry of some sort with a painted metal roof. You'd probably be dead before that needed any serious exterior maintenance.

No wood siding for me. My neighbor put on Wood siding and has to paint it every 4-5 years. I used Vinyl. I see alot of the upper end homes now go with a combo of Stucko and Wood Siding. I'm all about no/low maintanence. Screw that painting every couple years. But it does look good I guess.

Less time working on crap = more time hunting or just siting around :D

You don't work on your house Moosie .... you hire that shit out.
I gave that crap up a long time ago, other than pretty minor stuff. My time is better off spent working at my job -vs- the few dollars I can save by self performing home remodel projects.

There is that new wonderboard stuff that looks good. I think it is a type of cement or something. Supposed to hiold stain for 10 years.

Here is my opinion. If you like the look of wood, then use cedar and use a semi transparant oil stain that will never peel.
If you like a solid color, do yourself a favor and go with man made stuff. Why put on cedar and then paint it a solid color to hide the grain and work on it every 5 years??

3 posts on here by Jose the troll... He must be in prime form today, too bad i can't read his wealth of expertice

Cedar Sucks?? Only if you do it wrong...

Penofin boys, Penofin. Best stuff there is for wood IMO

Picture's not that great but I resided the front of my house last fall

Attachments

• Cedar Siding.JPG
    Cedar Siding.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 401
yea but you did it right, semi-transparent oil. Once soemone uses a solid Latex they ruined the whole idea of why you use cedar IMO

Cedar won't hold up here in Montana, no matter what great treatment you use. The temps go from 106 in summer to 36 below in winter. The humidity goes from 60% in spring and fall to 10% in summer.. Extremes kill the wood fiber no matter what you use on it. There is no great anwser for siding. The concrete stuff hasn't proved it can hold go sheen on the surface for extended periods of time. Like the three pigs found out brick will keep the old wolf from blowing your house down.

Use Hemlock no need to stain and you'll get no bugs invading the wood.

Problem with Ceder is you have to seal it with an alcohol based stain which will let the tannic acid breath.

Cedar won't hold up here in Montana, no matter what great treatment you use. The temps go from 106 in summer to 36 below in winter. The humidity goes from 60% in spring and fall to 10% in summer.. Extremes kill the wood fiber no matter what you use on it. There is no great anwser for siding. The concrete stuff hasn't proved it can hold go sheen on the surface for extended periods of time. Like the three pigs found out brick will keep the old wolf from blowing your house down.

Erick in AK place looks great! I would Guess Alaska has as much "bad weather" as Montana:)

Thanks! It took about a week to do myself.
First I built some 12" saw-horses so I could lay out a lot of stock at once and pre-stained all my siding, both sides. Then a second coat on the face. After cutting and fitting I dabbed stain on the end grains before nailing in place. Since I did it myself I had to fab a little bracket to hold one end of the siding in position while I nailed the other end in place. That made the going slow

I also built the porch.

Our temps don't vary nearly that much in Anchorage. A heat wave is breaking 80. Our humidity fluctuates but in reverse--winter is the dry season 10-15%. Spring, summer and fall vary 30-40 to 100%

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back