Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

CDS on Muzzleloader?

nuevo_eph

Are any of you all using the CDS scopes on your muzzleloader? If so, is it because you want to be spot on at muzzleloading distances or are you finding that you have the accuracy in your rifle to dial up even longer shots with the scope (long being above 200 yards)?

I just picked up a ML for the first time and now I have to figure out if I move my plain VX-2 to it or move my VX-2 CDS to it and get a new dial for the load I work up. My plan was to sight it in at 175 yards and be +4"/-3" from 100 yards to 225 yards.

Thanks

Putting CDS on a muzzleloader is akin to a racing saddle on a mule. I never understood any scope over 6X on a smokepole, All of mine are wearing Leupold 6X fixed power. Plenty of magnification and well over 4 inches of eye relief. My personal limit with a M/L is 200 yards and a little hold over gets the job done. If you already have the VX2 3-9X I would set it at 4 to 6X and go shoot something.

Bill V

I bought a VX II CDS for my muzzleloader. I will zero my scope at 100 -120 and then be able to go to 200-250. Not sure how much difference it will make but...$50 difference between non and CDS scope. As my eyes get older the magnification helps and I enjoy shooting longer ranges. I am not sure I will hunt at that distance but...you never know.

I don't have one on a ML, but I wouldn't be against it. I'm in the better to have it and not use it than to not have it and need it camp. Beings how much I play around with different bullets in a ML I'd probably opt for a MOA only CDS dial.

I have a Nikon w/BDC on my Omega but don't like the rings. Too bold in view.
It was the only ML scope I could find in 08' ,then Leupold came out with one.
I have seen many good scopes not made for ML go south. Leupolds included. Not made for the impact.
Same with shotgun scopes.

I'm going to find a simple ML 3x9 with distance hash marks if possible.
I see no reason for the CDS as 200 yrds is about as far as I will go with it,tho it will shoot 250.
MZ is a close range weapon in my book.

Hank,

Good points - so I called Leupold and they have no issues with a VX-2 on a muzzleloader other than that parallax is set to 150 instead of 75 on the ML scopes.

They even said, "I'm golden." Maybe that should be my forum signature going forward...

I have a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40mm on my T/C. Fast and easy to 250, no dial. It performs as advertised and the reticle isn't as cluttered as the Nikon version IMO. And it's a Leupy, not a Nikon.
Sounds like you're golden and on the right track, though...

I agree with Festus. I also shoot the Leupold 3-9x40 and love it. If 250 yd scope won't get it done with a muzzleloader, there is some bad hunting going on....

I run a Burris 2x7x32 with ballistic plex on my T/C prohunter. I have probably shot 400 or so shots with that scope on that gun with zero issues. Last year I practiced at 200 yards for the last 2 months before my elk hunt. I could keep a .458 350gr Kodiak pushed by 110 grains of BH209 into a 4 inch group at 200 yards. The second hash mark below the main reticle corresponded with 200 yards.

I then went and shot a bull at 30 yards.. typical.

Back