Yeti GOBOX Collection

CDS custom dials at different powers

2rocky

If i have a CDS custom dial, will the point of impact and point of aim be the same at 4.5 x as 14x and in between? Or does it need to be at Max power for the scope?

I think it will be but I wanted Confirmation

It shouldn’t matter.
+1
f.png

POA/POI will be correct at the crosshair as long as you dial right regardless of power.

If you have a mil reticle in a second focal plane scope, as you change the power, the reticle stays the same so the sub tensions change.

A first focal plane the reticle size changes with the power so the sub tensions stay the same throughout.

I did a shitty job explaining that, here’s an article.

I believe the rules your following is for LR duplex and not the CDS. For example, on the LR duplex the first dot that was below the crosshair was near 300 yds at max magnification.

FFP/SFP reticle configurations have zero bearing in the original question. Magnification will have no effect on POA. Only time SFP compared to FFP would come into play is if the OP was using the windshield, and then obviously magnification of the SFP would matter. If magnification EVER changes POA it would be considered a scope malfunction

I have leopold VXiii with CDS, and the directions that came with it do state designed to be on 14x. I have noticed a difference, but only over 500 yds

I have leopold VXiii with CDS, and the directions that came with it do state designed to be on 14x. I have noticed a difference, but only over 500 yds
If it says that they must be talking about using the reticle for holdovers. If your point of aim changes with magnification the scope is broken, period.

That's the beauty of dialing vs using a holdover. Magnification does not matter in dialing, however with a holdover it will.

FFP/SFP reticle configurations have zero bearing in the original question. Magnification will have no effect on POA. Only time SFP compared to FFP would come into play is if the OP was using the windshield, and then obviously magnification of the SFP would matter. If magnification EVER changes POA it would be considered a scope malfunction
I’m aware that FFP/SFP wasn’t directly asked in the original question. But it seemed like that would be the point of confusion. Which is why I said changing the power wouldn’t have an affect on dialing and using the center crosshair. Then my terrible attempt at explaining what a SFP scope would do to the sub tensions of a mil, moa or whatever else reticle there is...hence the article.

I will agree with you, that if poi changes using the center of the crosshair with different power the scopes messed up. The only other thing could be a lapse in shooting fundamentals that places blame on the scope.

If i have a CDS custom dial, will the point of impact and point of aim be the same at 4.5 x as 14x and in between? Or does it need to be at Max power for the scope?

I think it will be but I wanted Confirmation

I would recommend that you take it in the field and put some holes through paper. That is honestly the only way you will find out if your equipment will perform as you need it too.

Does not matter I have multiple set ups with CDS. Its a must for our family, my son loves it too takes the guess work out of the hold over game....

I'm with ImBillT on this one.

While theoretically the POI shouldn't change with a change in magnification, it is known to happen with a second focal plane scope. And it doesn't mean that the scope is necessarily "broken".

This is one of the advantages of a first focal plane scope..

Best advice.

Shoot it and see what yours does.

Anything else is just speculation or a WAG.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back