CDS 101 for dummies

Ok, Depending on elevation and atmospheric conditions, you SHOULD be within 1 MOA out to 450yds. Once you get above about 3000' elevation, you will likely start shooting high of the turret. The only way to verify how much is to shoot at elevation. If the goal is 800yds... I'd recommend getting a good ballistic program and sticking with the MOA turret. At 800yds, at 5000' elevation, that CDS turret could be off as much as 2MOA

Factory BC's are not exactly accurate... Most are tested around 3000fps, and BC changes with Velocity. I can explain in more depth if desired.

That CDS turret should be pretty solid for shooting at low elevations.

Yep, right up to 1 full twist...then you're done...no?
Only if you have or keep the zero stop installed. They can be used without, but as was mentioned do not have demarcation lines on the turrent to indicate what revolution you are on. Thus, I'd probably only use a CDS if 15 MOA gets me far enough and use the zero stop. With a 200yd zero, depending on cartridge and load 15MOA will get you a ways out there. In the case of the OP, I'm thinking it may be even more. IIRC the VX6s have 20 MOA available in one turn.

Should have went M1...

But since you didnt, take jryoungs advice and pray your ballistics information was correct and you never have to change loads.

Make sure everything is level when you mount your scope or you'll find out pretty quick its not, when you get out past 400-500.

Thanks for the advice here and at BHA, based on that I am ordering the M1 instead of the CDS caliber specific. Guilty as charged as I am constantly changing components on my loads.

You can use the turret you have if it has numbers on it. Zero the gun and turret at 200, shoot in 500 and 800, go online and run the numbers thru a calculator and modify to correspond to your verified drops, scribble out a drop chart and go hunt.

Another option is to get a MOA only dial and use it like an M1.

Maybe this is a new thing, but the VX2 CDS I bought a couple of weeks ago came with a dial marked in MOA, and a coupon to get another dial marked in yardage. This is the best of both worlds for me. I'm surprised that Leupold hasn't made more of an effort to advertise this, as it makes the CDS system more flexible for those of us that have a hard time committing to just one load.

Wow! Thanks for everybody's input. Has been a learning experience for me. Have always been afraid to ask a DA question, so a lot of you have answered them for me.

Maybe this is a new thing, but the VX2 CDS I bought a couple of weeks ago came with a dial marked in MOA, and a coupon to get another dial marked in yardage. This is the best of both worlds for me. I'm surprised that Leupold hasn't made more of an effort to advertise this, as it makes the CDS system more flexible for those of us that have a hard time committing to just one load.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MOA CDS dial that comes with the scope does not have a zero stop. IIRC the intention is that one is supposed to use that one to fingure the drops for their load of choice. Then send that information to Leupold for the custom dial as it should be me accurate than relying on a table to calculate it for you. I've seen a couple of tutorials on the net showing how to add a zero stop to that dial. The indentation is there for it, but often not indexed to the zero position. Likewise, IIRC if you order a MOA only dial, the numbering is a bit more clear and complete than the one that comes with a CDS scope.

I ran the JBM ballistics trajectory calculator with the same inputs I used on the Gseven calculator and generated the same exact results. I would use either.

Just provided ballistics and ordered my first for a VX6/300 WSM. Can someone give me the layman starter kit set up? Easy install?

..talk slowly, thanks:eek:
Your scope may not be as easy as loosening a couple set screws and swaping dials as others have suggested. Some VX6 scopes with pop up zero dials required a bit more than just that. When you get your dial you should have been given install instructions. If not give me or luepold a call.

Ken I don't remember what model you have and it is possible that they changed that in the VX6 line since they showed me at the Shot show a couple years ago.

Think I bought it about a year ago IIRC. I've never tried to pull & twist to reset the MOA numerals free of reticle movement or detent clicks but will check after work. You may be correct. I will consult before I try anything with the CDS though.

Ken

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back