CDL, is it a pain to get?

Looking back at my post, I could have phrased that better but if you're taking that as me applying it all kids in the midwest I can't help you there. They had some bad experiences with kids coming from some large (10k+ acre) farms that did not have a lot of boots on the ground experience with getting work done. I am a farm kid from the midwest and have worked with a lot of small to large ag industry companies and I think there are a ton of issues with the system. I spent a few summers detasselling corn which you may be familiar with being from IL. How do you feel about 13 year olds getting minimum wage to walk around corn fields all summer?

Please do suggest your improvements for the system. Maybe we should just let it all get taken over by large companies to hire the foreign workers like Sodexo does for food service at universities and Xanterra at national parks. The work experience someone would get working for a custom harvesting crew living in an RV seems much better than those jobs.

On the age issue you can thank ag lobbyists. Looks at the rules for farmers that own their own trucks. The farmers and their employees do not need CDLs when within 150 air miles of the farm. Works great most of the time, but some will push the limits and drive into metro areas where they don't have the necessary experience/training and cause accidents. Just to clarify, I am not saying all farmers driving their grain/livestock trucks do that.
Come to think about it, We might be arguing the same point.

I don’t know if I even really had a point.
Sorry for coming at you.
Just feeling kinda jumpy this morning.
Who TF saw trump catching the coronavirus coming this morning?
Totally crazy.
Have a good weekend.

Been driving for coming up on 5 years, moved to a new town got a job right off the bat. It's a hassle to go through the process but a CDL is dang cheap job insurance all things considered.

If you go through one of these "training centers" do your homework, most just train you pass the test and run you out the door come hell or high water. Look high and low and find someone to actually teach you how to do things proper to avoid at-fault accidents on your record.

Memorization of parts and pressure numbers makes you a driver. The little intangible things make you an operator.

Come to think about it, We might be arguing the same point.

I don’t know if I even really had a point.
Sorry for coming at you.
Just feeling kinda jumpy this morning.
Who TF saw trump catching the coronavirus coming this morning?
Totally crazy.
Have a good weekend.

I would bet we mostly agree on the issues after some discussion :) Always hard to have things come across as desired on internet posts.

Planning to grouse hunt tomorrow and go fishing on Sunday so should be a good weekend.

Looking back at my post, I could have phrased that better but if you're taking that as me applying it all kids in the midwest I can't help you there. They had some bad experiences with kids coming from some large (10k+ acre) farms that did not have a lot of boots on the ground experience with getting work done. I am a farm kid from the midwest and have worked with a lot of small to large ag industry companies and I think there are a ton of issues with the system. I spent a few summers detasselling corn which you may be familiar with being from IL. How do you feel about 13 year olds getting minimum wage to walk around corn fields all summer?

Please do suggest your improvements for the system. Maybe we should just let it all get taken over by large companies to hire the foreign workers like Sodexo does for food service at universities and Xanterra at national parks. The work experience someone would get working for a custom harvesting crew living in an RV seems much better than those jobs.

On the age issue you can thank ag lobbyists. Looks at the rules for farmers that own their own trucks. The farmers and their employees do not need CDLs when within 150 air miles of the farm. Works great most of the time, but some will push the limits and drive into metro areas where they don't have the necessary experience/training and cause accidents. Just to clarify, I am not saying all farmers driving their grain/livestock trucks do that.
One correction about farmers and their employees not needing a cdl is partially true. Farmers or their family members who are driving the trucks that are licensed as farm vehicles don't need a cdl. Employees are required to have a cdl.

One correction about farmers and their employees not needing a cdl is partially true. Farmers or their family members who are driving the trucks that are licensed as farm vehicles don't need a cdl. Employees are required to have a cdl.

I had done a quick google before posting and the websites I pulled up still say employee. Which I am sure has to a be a full-fledged legal employee, not just a neighbor with a truck that you send a W2 instead of a 1099.

A driver is not required to obtain a CDL to operate any of the following vehicles:
  • A farm truck when it is:
    • Operated by the farmer or immediate family member, or an employee of the farmer;
    • Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies, including hazardous materials to or from a farm;
    • Not used in a contract or common carrier operation; and
    • Used within 150 miles of the farm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back