Catch and Release Kitty

View

Here's a photo of a tom lion I treed a couple of winters ago. As usual after a fresh snow, I got out to look for lion tracks. By 10:00 AM I had this guys tracks located. I drove over some roads in the area looking to see if I could find where the lion had crossed again, thus cutting off some hiking. Fortunately, I soon found that spot and turned the dogs in starting with the older dogs and after they got it going good, I turned in the younger dogs. I followed their tracks on foot for about half an hour when I heard them treed close to the bottom of a deep canyon. The lion was a good ways up in the tree and I could see him from the canyon rim. I got to the tree and sat and enjoyed the show for a half hour. Shortly thereafter, the lion decided he had had enough of this and was coming out. As I was alone and did not intend to kill the lion, I had not tied the dogs back. When the lion was six feet off the ground, one of my Airdale fight dogs ran up, grabbed the lion by the seat of the pants and hung on as they both rolled down the hill in the deep, fresh snow. I just knew that Brownie would be killed, but when the "dust" settled, the lion was two feet ahead of him and headed out! It did not take long before the dogs had him treed again. This time when I got to the tree, I tied the dogs back! I sat and watched for a few more minutes, then untied the dogs and fought them all the way back to the truck. Hounds DO NOT like it when you pull them off a tree that has a live lion in it! It was a great day and the dogs got some excellent work. A friend of mine went on to take this lion later that winter and he was a dandy. One of the great things about hunting with hounds is that you can release the treed animal without harm if you choose to.

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Bear Creek Adventures (edited 02-12-2001).]

That is another great picture.I never really wanted to hunt like that but after seeing all the story's and picture's I really would love to see something like that.I don't know if I could keep up, I am not built for speed that is for sure LOL More like slow and steady.

------------------
Debbie

Its not about the kill, its all about the fun!!!! I'll bet you had alot of fun on that hunt. Another great picture. Looks awful cold though...Brrrrrrrr

Boomer

Boomer,

You are exactly right, it is just as much fun to tree a cat and not kill it. The temperature that day was probably about 35 degrees. It really does not get too cold here. That is the problem with lion hunting here, one day you have good snow, the next day nothing. Thanks for the replies all.

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back