Cartridges that we don't need

snake river rufus

It seems as though every time a new writer joins a magazine, he is tasked with the job of deciding just which calibers should be dumped.
I believe that any cartridge that makes a profit for the company loading it (and any cartridge specific to the maker. An example might be the .307 win) is a good and useful cartridge. I.E. the market and corporate ethics:)rolleyes: ) should decide, not some idiot gunwriter.
What say you?

SRR... The latest I've heard is that the .22 Hornet should be dropped because the new .17 caliber (and others) make it obsolete. Sounds like an advertising ploy to me. I don't care how old and lame some folks think it is, the Hornet is a great, fun to shoot round. Sure, there's a few other rounds out there that have way better ballistics, but I think the .22 Hornet is here to stay... no matter what some writers might say.

Let the market sort them out. If the gun mfgs. sell enough of any particular caliber rifle, factory cartridges will be available. If, as in the case of my 7 RUM, they don't (sell enough), factory cartridge offerings will be limited, gun writer's seal of approval or not.

There's very few we 'need', but there are many that fill a 'want' that the owner has. Heck, if the manufacturers can turn a dime and stay in business by introducing new cartridges, great! More options for me. If that takes a gun writer to hawk a certain one, fine by me...if he/she can tell a good story! ;)

256 Winchester is essential if you happen to own a Hawkeye chambered for it.

Personally, I've never met a cartridge I didn't need. That's not to say that there are multiple other cartridges that perform the same task with equal capability, but the challenge of taking a yet unmastered cartridge in a new firearm and developing a load combination that performs to expectations is a great challenge.

:cool:

I like Danr's thinking. I still have a few slots in my safe that could use a .300 Kong or something similar........................
WD

The gun makers will allways come up with new rounds. So you can buy new guns.

Hell. You realy only need a .22 LR, a .223 rem, 30-06, and a .375 H & H to kill anything that walks.

But there is no fun in that, jut look in my safe.

Is this thread to imply that a man can have too many guns?

Here is my theory:

Anything worth having is worth having in excess!

And that statement is more applicable to guns than any other item I can think of. Maybe there are some calibers we could do without, but if it is a firearm, it is worth having. Pretty simple to me.

Those of you with calibers you can do without, l will take them off your hands.

Hope I didn't hijack this thread, but I have a hard time thinking of a gun not worth owning.

Happy Hunting!

What I'm wondering is what is the length of time do the MFGs owe us? As far as keeping the cartridge as a factory loaded gound? Like the .375, .356,& .307 win. How long is winchester obligated to provide ammo?

I think they ought to load ammo for 20 years after introducing a cartridge....

Not really. Perhaps they "should," but the old caveat about "Let the buyer beware" still applies. The manufacturers are businesses, and if it is profitable, they will produce a product. Once it stops being profitable, they stop production. Also, some are only firearms manufacturers like Ruger, while others like Remington do produce ammo.

The .307 and .356 are examples of excellent cartridges that "should" have made it, but didn't.

Well, Nosler does both, too. Hornady and Ruger are working together to develop new rounds, you have the famous S&W and Remington collaboration on the various magnum handgun rounds, and you have other proprietary cartridges - the .307 Marlin, the new .30 whatever Thompson Center and certainly Winchester ammo and Winchester-Browning worked together to develop the .307 and .356 Winchester.

Yes, but like I said - they had to have worked together to develop the tiny actions to fit the super short magnums as well as the .307 and .356 Winchester rounds - remember that the last two required a beefed up angle-eject receiver.

Note that I referred to one as"Winchester ammo" and the other as "Winchester-Browning" to differentiate between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back