Carolina Griswald comes to SD and WY? What else to visit???

Some really good suggestions here.

Mine would be:

1.) Ranch A in the Black Hills south of Beulah. Cool Wyoming Game & Fish Property with a sweet spring creek full of PhD level brown trout.

2.) Devil's tower. Reanact your favorite scenes from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

3.) Medicine Wheel in the Big Horns. Cool ancient site. And if you go cross the Big Horns out of Sheridan, you can hit the Tongue River for some outstanding cutthroat fishing.

4.) Sheridan WY Polo grounds. Oldest polo grounds in the U.S.

5.) Thermopolis, WY. Cool little town with a great Hot Springs & epic Tailwater fishing.

6.) Cody - Nightly Rodeo, Buffalo Bill Museum, great food & lots of Walter Sobchak impersonators running around. Some fun nightly gunfighting too outside the Irma Hotel. Both the South Fork and North Fork of the Shoshone have impressive fisheries as well. South Fork has a great drive and possibilities of seeing hundreds of elk & a few grizz too.

7.) Beartooth Highway/Chief Joseph highway. Start in Cody, and work your way either to Red Lodge (MT) or Cooke City & Silver Gate for entrance into the Lamar valley. Bring your optics and watch the black dots 2 miles away (bears & wolves) on the bench eating whatever they can find.

Custer State Park (go to sylvan lake hike Black Elk Peak formerly Harney Peak then hit the wildlife loop hopefully you will time it right in get right in the middle of the buffalo turn the car off and just listen.) Bring your binos and spotter and go to the badlands and find sheep

There are some great routes listed already. Its Rendevous weekend in Pinedale next weekend (7/11) I think. That is crowded, but also pretty cool. I am not sure I would take a Griswold style station wagon on this road, but I want to take the Hyattville to the Mountains down to Red Grade Road and Greybull sometime this year. Part of it is quite a bit different from NC from what little I know of NC. I have taken an old Buick LeSabre over a lot of it, but I am not sure of the condition for the rest of the road. So here is a wild route, go from Badlands to Rushmore/Deadwood, south to Fort Robinson, NE, down Sybille Canyon like wytex said, over the Snowy's from Laramie, up along Seminoe Reservoir to Casper find the Oregon trail stuff, north to Buffalo and a little more to Ft. Phil Kearney, and some other Battle sites already listed, west and south to Thermopolis over the Big Horns, northwest through Meeteetsee to Cody, loop through YNP and GTNP, south to Pinedale, over the Lander Cut-across from Pinedale to Lander to Sinks Canyon, back over the Big Horns one of the other routes, hit I -90 to Devils Tower. If you have a month I guess.

Sandpounder: I will be in my GMC truck. Definitely not the Griswold Family Truckster. I bought this truck a few years ago specifically for this trip and my hunt to MT this year. Normally I have flown, but I drew elk tag this year, so I will hopefully be bringing it back in the back of truck in a couple coolers.

Newhunter: I will be looking out for the Ferraris but my supermodel wife will be the only other one in the truck. i will certainly wave at Christie Brinkley if she drives by.

How early did you go into Yellowstone? I am prepared for stop and go for sure.
0700-ish every morning. We were staying in Gardiner, so the entrance was only a mile or two from the hotel. We were there the first week of June. There are some road work being done, so if the flag...person stops you, you may be sitting there 25-30 minutes before going.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peytb10
Back