Caribou Gear

Caribou outfitter recommendations?

Padan

A buddy and I are looking to hunt caribou in BC with rifles. Doesn't have to be the hunt of a lifetime record book animal, rather something affordable, repeatable. We're in good physical shape and have thick skin.

Does it have to be guided? Or BC? There is a lot of good opportunity in Alaska and you could use a transporter, semi DIY.

Doesn't have to be guided. We've both primarily DYI, but we respect the knowledge and expertise of a guide.

Got it, thanks for the input. I've been researching online, but nothing beats personal recommendations.

Our Mt Caribou numbers are not great in BC right now. And we have a "6-point" antler point restriction where one antler has to have 6 points minimum including the back-tine and the top points (no back tine...then 6 or more points up top to be legal). My experience is many herd bulls here aren't legal. I'd consider going elsewhere, although maybe you'll find a good outfitter with a good recent track record on caribou. Good luck!

I bet @Big Fin would recommend Dustin Roe of Backcountry BC and Beyond after his recent hunt but that might not be so affordable and repeatable. On the other hand if you wanna shop the best prices I’d check BookYourHunt.com I have heard good things about the legitimacy of the offers you find there.

I'd consider an outfitter in the Mackenzie Mts of the NWT versus BC as caribou numbers are much higher there. That said, Dustin is a good guy and has a good track record as a guide that is for sure...not up to speed on his outfitting area that he has had a few seasons.

If looking for something not that cheap, where you could kill a book animal, the NWT is the place to go. There’s more caribou in the Mackenzies than you can shake a stick at. I think Gana has 2x1 hunts for $10,500

if you can go DIY, are budget conscious and it doesn’t have to be a mountain caribou, Alaska.

If you're looking at BC then you are likely not looking at something that's 'affordable/repeatable' as nearly all BC caribou hunting will be fly-in or deep horseback mountain caribou hunting. There are a few 'fringe' areas with some caribou hunting but I've never seen what I'd call a 'cheap' caribou hunt in BC.

Some very good higher success caribou hunting out there, but when it comes to mountain caribou you're likely going to pay pretty similar in a ton of spots. That being said, it could come down to your idea of 'affordable/repeatable'.

BC would have to be guided, and with caribou numbers down in BC Alaska would be your best bet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back