Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cape Buffalo ethics

Rainer

Now, I tried to watch a Bone Collector episode and Michael Waddell in season 5 was bowhunting Cape Buffalo in South Africa. Now I know Cape Buffalo are one of the toughest animals out there but this became ridiculous. He emptied 6 arrows into this Buffalo and tracked it for miles because he maybe made 2 good shoots on the animal. When do you say enough is enough and you put it down with the rifle?

Two arrows then let the lead fly. Having respect for the quarry we hunt is more important than which weapon we kill it with. IMHO

Maybe someone forgot to tell the buffalo they put the "smack down" on it.
I don't watch anything with those clowns on it.

I guess Waddell subscribes to the Tom Miranda school of bowhunting ethics. I seldom watch any of these egomaniacs. Fin and Rinella are the exceptions.

Massive fail. A fail when experienced hunters happen upon the episode. A fail to non-hunters who might be shown this episode.

Some footage is better left on the editing room floor.

A less than optimal shot can happen. If you shoot a big game animal 7 times and not have the animal die quickly from blood loss, inability to breath or shock then you are using the wrong equipment and or lack the skills to successfully use that equipment. Why in God's name would you put that on TV?

Never saw the show so I can't comment.

Sounds like my antelope this past fall. 7 shots, 6 hits. 3+hr recovery. Glad there was no video for all the armchair QBs to comment. Sometimes shit happens.

Have been considering entering it in P&Y just for the fun of filling out the little shot diagram sheet and imagining what the club people would be thinking.

Maybe I should get a gaybow.

I don't watch "hunting shows" and since I didn't see this one I'm not defending Waddell but....

Cape buffalo are notoriously hard to kill. Sure, many fall right over when shot or run for 100 yards or so then topple over. The ones that don't though can really take some abuse before they give up and die.

Buffalo and bovines aren't hard to kill, the issue is guys using rifles and calibres they have very limited experience with and very little knowledge of shot placement and animal anatomy. I've seen dozens get shot and they die just as quick as everything else when hit properly with a bullet that works well for that type of animal.

Back