MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Can’t Hunt During the Fall Months — What Can I Do?

Skynard

Hey all, I am glad to finally be on the forum. I keep up with the podcast regularly.

I am a college minister. My job is to reach out to college students and lead them to Jesus. Obviously, the most opportune time to do that is during the school months. I stay VERY busy during the fall semester starting in late August and going through December. The best (and busiest) time to reach college students is the first few months of school — August, September, early October. After that, my schedule winds down into more of a rhythm.

What hunts can I plan that won’t interfere with that time frame?

I am building points for WY antelope that hopefully I can line up with our schools fall break in October.

Here’s what I am thinking/researching:

Spring black bear
AZ Muleys in Dec or Jan

Any other ideas?? I could probably get away for a week in November to hunt but definitely not every year kinda
thing.

I love my job and college students, but why can’t they go to school in the summer? Lol

Good for you and thanks for your efforts! Have you considered hunting in some of the southern states? I think MS, LA, AL, TX all have deer seasons that run into Dec and January. I know there are some cow elk hunts in WY that run late into the year, but there are others on here that will know more about those options. Best of luck.

Mexico, December & January for mule deer, turkeys, late season geese hunts in mid March. Fishing

I never thought about Mexico. Thanks!
It'll be pricey for the mule deer hunt, but also you could do a coues deer hunt also. Pig hunting is another option, they're fun to hunt and 100-150 lbs are good eating too!

I'm a full-time taxidermist and for decades I wouldn't close shop for long during the fall/winter unless it was for an awesome tag. So, I would do lengthy hunts in the spring/summer when I didn't have to worry about closing my doors ( I don't worry about it anymore, I close up whenever and however long I want) The spring/summer hunts would be axis deer and mouflon sheep on Lana'i Hawaii. Also New Zealand ( I just got back again) Both Hawaii and NZ offer year round big game hunting. Some Hawaii hunts are OTC tags or no tags required, and NZ doesn't have tags, no closed season, no fees, no limit, either sex. All of my hunts are DIY, no guide, public land.20190609_090356.jpgIMGA0021.JPG20120731_101433.jpg20131106_220805.jpg20190616_102828.jpg

Where are you at?

You can waterfowl Oct to Feb.
Lion and wolf hunting get into full force late winter.
Always hogs somewhere.
Early season antelope is generally august.
Shoulder seasons in MT are through Feb.
Small game have gracious seasons.

Awesome pics Glasseye- what kind of ducks/geese are those, I don’t think I’ve seen them before?

Welcome to HT, thank you for what you do. What state do you currently reside in? It can help narrow down some geographical quick trips.

We talked about the recruitment aspect just last Sunday at Bible study. Gone are the days that we just open the doors and people walk in. We have to build relationships with people first, then introduce them to our faith. I know many young men and women that go to college and spend much of their time hunting their first fall at school. The schoolwork slides drastically. Their worship time becomes non-existant. It would be great if you can incorpaorate some of everything together.
As far as other seasons, Iowa's best WT hunting is in November. Muzzleloader season is over the Christmas break, usually Dec. 20 ish-Jan. 10. My daughters always get those tags when home from college. South Dakota rifle deer seasons are in November also. Lots of options there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back