Cane Pole Fishing

R

rwc101

I loved fishing with cane poles as a kid. Quarantine boredom led my dad and I to cut down some bamboo and make our own poles. We thought it would be hilarious to cut a 15 foot rod and try to hook one of the stripers that feeds on shad off the end of the dock each night. Much fun was had.

20200501_212948.jpg

20200411_205727.jpg

That’s cool we used cane poles growing up but never caught anything big on them but was always a good time how long did you have to fight that stripper to get it in?

That’s cool we used cane poles growing up but never caught anything big on them but was always a good time how long did you have to fight that stripper to get it in?

It felt like half an hour but I bet it was closer to 5 minutes.

That’s awesome, my grandpa who introduced me to fishing as a kid always told me about how growing up on the Ohio River he fished with a cane pole as a kid. Years After he passed away I made one and used to cherry pick catfish from the reeds fly lining mackerel in to the holes.. haven’t done it in years but it was always fun.

That's nuts! Were you using 50 lb test or something?

Well, there's no good photos on account of it being dark, rainy, and windy, but I set my personal beat for landlocked striper on the cane pole tonight. About 34 inches to the fork.

20200519_214904.jpg

Attachments

• 20200519_214904.jpg
    20200519_214904.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 2
Those are some nice flat heads I love catching them they are one of my favorite fish to eat

We're vacationing in Smith Mountain Lake this summer--did you catch him live baiting at night? I grew up striper fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, but have never caught a striper in an impoundment before.

We're vacationing in Smith Mountain Lake this summer--did you catch him live baiting at night? I grew up striper fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, but have never caught a striper in an impoundment before.

Just a chartreuse jerkbait on a jig. It's really hit or miss without a green light. If you have a boat you can cruise around at night and cast around docks that have them.

Just a chartreuse jerkbait on a jig. It's really hit or miss without a green light. If you have a boat you can cruise around at night and cast around docks that have them.
I'm really curious about the green lights. Looks like they are working for you both for stripers and flatheads. Can you tell us more about how you use green lights?

I'm really curious about the green lights. Looks like they are working for you both for stripers and flatheads. Can you tell us more about how you use green lights?

My parents have an underwater green light off their dock. Lots of people make them. Underwater ones work better than the above water ones. The green light attracts plankton which attracts baitfish which attracts the big boys.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back