Canadian moose hunt?

wisconsinteacher

It is never to early to start dreaming of a hunt. If you were to go on a guided Canadian moose hunt, what providince would you go to and what guide would you use? I would like to start looking and talking to guides after their fall seasons are done and talk about a hunt in 2024.

Gundahoo River Outfitters in BC. And since we’re wishing I’d combine the moose hunt with Stone sheep or caribou or mountain goat (or all the above) 😉

I think a lot of your answer depends on what you are looking for. If you want a moose, Newfoundland, Alberta or BC could all fit your bill. If you want a MOOSE, then the answer will be different, so will the bill.

If you want to see lots of moose and have a very high success rate - Newfoundland is hands down the best choice. Cost is very reasonable for a week long guided trip as well in the 5-10k range.

If you want big monster moose, look to northern BC/Yukon.

Depends on what you want to spend....inches=$$$ i.e the bigger the moose the bigger the hunt cost.

I'm looking for a moose not a MOOSE. lol I'm open to $5,000-8,000. One of the ag hunts would be cool. I'm open to anything at this time.

In all the searching I did, I thought if I did a Canadian moose hunt and wanted the meat, I for sure had to drive, and from Michigan it made BC too far. Alberta and Manitoba were top choices. Newfoundland is a great option as well but I wanted a chance at a big moose and it seemed like a lot of the hunters on Newfoundland were coming up with smaller moose. Plus the extra driving didn’t seem worth it. Manitoba was a bit On The pricey Side but seemed to produce some really nice moose. Alberta has a lot of really affordable hunts but many are not a traditional moose hunt and more driving farm fields. Farther north seemed to improve that. Ultimately I started with a 10k budget but blew that out of the water and decided to do it once and do it right. So I went to AK and got all my meat home via trophy express. Best decision I ever made. My biggest criteria was the type of hunt and bringing the meat home. To each his own, good luck whatever you decide.

BTW there is a Wisconsin guy that owns a lodge in Ontario who gets one moose tag a year. They have killed 60+ inch moose. The run a legit outfitting business and are very affordable. It’s basically paying for tag and lodging and ATV’s but DIY otherwise because they don’t guide. Let me know if you want their info.

A98D809C-B7E7-4458-BF71-6A13044EA432.jpeg

Good moose hunting is still available in northern NW Ontario. Not so far for you to drive. And you can drop the rack off here on your way home and we'll do a euro mount for you.

Consider Africa if you want to spend that much money. Last year I came back with eight animals after a nine day hunt. Total cost including transportation and shipping skulls and two hides back came to about $12K US. Seeing that country is really something else! I took four fine animals the first morning before lunch. A bit unusual but the opportunity availed itself. Incidentally, that price included three grand for the cape buffalo. It was a special unexpected deal that came up suddenly while I was there. Actually a cow but still a very large set of horns for a gal ... who was 25 years old. Also, I understand you are a teacher. Africa would work great for you because best hunting down there is during our summer ... which is their winter (= less bugs and snakes). No meat can come back but you should eat a lot of it while there. All my hunting was open range spot and stalk. None of that baiting or water hole ambushing crap.

PS: This is actually a pair of local sheds we mounted on faux skull for a client.20200315_200821.jpg

I’ve done two northern BC. Moose hunts, one was just me the second was a two one one hunt with my son. I found going to the WSF show in Reno and meeting guides face to face was very beneficial. I did my research before from the outfitter/ guide list, met them all face to face. Some I spent more time with to get to know them. The outfitter I used Have become life long friends! I did drive to northern BC both times. The Alaskan hwy north of Fort Nelson is just breath taking.9C290351-AF77-4687-AB7C-261F16E8C383.jpegB0990110-895B-4DC5-BB30-2FDEDB00C5CF.jpeg

Just got back from a Copper River Outfitter hunt in BC. I was disappointed that we found very few moose and the ones we found were very young without much antlers.

One of our seasonal workers is going north of Red Lake Ontario next week. I will report back when I know more details. I do know it’s a fly out and at a cabin with a generator. I asked him today if they were hunting from a boat or calling from camp, he didn’t know. He’s in his 70s and says he’s the youngest going. But don’t discount him, I’d take him on a moose hunt any day. He runs a long line coyote trap line all winter catching 100+ coyotes every year and a beaver line in the spring.

I did a bc trip a few years ago and spent 9 days driving roads listening to the guide complain about the locals just road hunting.

This is highest on my bucket list as well. I have been putting in for the NE states for years with no luck drawing a tag.

Just got back from a Copper River Outfitter hunt in BC. I was disappointed that we found very few moose and the ones we found were very young without much antlers.
I hunted with Copper River Outfitters in 2019 and had a great hunt.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back