• Remington Model 700 - 7mm-08

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Sako 75 - 300WSM

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Colt Coltsman - 30-06

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The people seem to be favoring the Marlin 336.

Here's the story: My grandfather purchased it new in 1964 from the local NJ hardware store to be used as a PA deer rifle for $90. It was only hunted with for a single season before being replaced by the Remington 760 Carbine (see photos) as his favored rifle. For a very long time this rifle was used as a loaner or back up gun at either deer or bear camp. It wore a vintage Japanese Tasco scope until it was replaced with a Leupold 2-7x in the early 2000's. It always was and continues to be phenomenally accurate.

It was given to me when I started deer hunting in my late teens. I hunted with it through college, switching from grandpa's old reloads to the Hornady Leverevolution ammo along the way. Here's an old advertisement for the 336 back when grandpa would have bought it and a photo of the first deer I ever killed with it.

It will be coming along with me to New Brunswick.

Thanks for playing!

s-l1600.jpeg
IMG_20201231_102152_327.jpg

I recommend the 336 in vote. I love mine, paid $200 cash for it at gunshow and was a made in 1984 if i remember right. Thing is a amazing shooter and especially with those 220 hotcor's just kills everything (has become a favorite elk in timber gun of mine).
But as i mentioned in a thread last year the real bear bait sit question is seat cushion! Any of the mentioned rifles will preform great but ability to sit for hours in often metal mesh seated stands will be the real difference maker of the trip. Look forward to trip report, good luck!

When I lived in WA, an older fellow told me where to find a 100 year old apple orchard that had been abandoned over 30 years and was overgrown with other trees. I went there to hunt black bears for 18 consecutive seasons. All my shots were under 50 yards. I used a 336 in 35 Remington once, then a Winchester 94 in 44 magnum for the other 17 times.

The reason I went to the 44 Mag is because reloading a straight case with carbide dies is easier than lubing a case with a shoulder and resizing it. Plus I could pick my shots and wait for them to be under 50 yards, thus I always brought enough gun. If I hadn't sold the 35 Remington, I would have used it a few more times, it definitely has mojo.

Marlin or 760 would be my vote. I picked 760 for the actual vote because I love an 06

I was just able to pick up some 200gr 35cal interlocks on midway the other day. I'm going to try to get some handloads together and try the old 35 Rem out in the woods this year. I got this rifle from my childhood neighbor that passed last year, it dates back to '66 I belive. I think it'll be cool to get it back out into the action and see what it is all about.

Good luck with your hunt!

i know its new but id go with 400 legend because it does everything that the 350 legand does and more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back