Can you hunt private land within a game preserve

2ski

If FWP was open i would call and ask, but thought maybe someone here might know.

If you have private land thats inside the boundaries of a game preserve can it be hunted? Is it included in the game preserve or excluded because it is private land?

You can’t hunt inholdings in a National Forest or BLM so I would suppose this would hold true for other types of gov’t owned lands. The only way you should be able to hunt this land is a) if you own it b) if you have written permission from the owner to hunt and a legal means to access it, or c) if the game preserve leased the hunting rights to it and your ability to hunt the preserve includes that in holding as well.

If it’s private, you should assume access is controlled by the landowner. It may just be an inholding, but there are also multiple types of arrangements in existence that grant conservation agencies management authority over private parcels but public access is strictly at the discretion of the landowner.

The area is cabins next to a lake. And I'm asking if the land owner would be able to hunt. The whole lake is a game preserve and extends out say a half mile out from the lake. The regs say there is no hunting on the preserve. Much of the lake front property is forest service. Many of the cabins have 2-3 acres of land. It wouldn't be prudent to shoot a rifle in the area. But archery would make sense if the landowner could hunt his own land.

The area is cabins next to a lake. And I'm asking if the land owner would be able to hunt. The whole lake is a game preserve and extends out say a half mile out from the lake. The regs say there is no hunting on the preserve. Much of the lake front property is forest service. Many of the cabins have 2-3 acres of land. It wouldn't be prudent to shoot a rifle in the area. But archery would make sense if the landowner could hunt his own land.

Depends on the preserve. The Brinkman allows archery hunting, but nothing else.

My impression (not a lawyer) is that you may not legally hunt within a FWP game preserve, private or public land. In fact, I have a friend with a ranch outside Kalispell that worked to get the game preserve removed so he could better manage whitetails on his property. I dont recall if it was legislative or a FWP commission decision. Some of these preserves date back decades and probably need to be reconsidered.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back